Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Quote from: ThatstheballWhy does Cavan have thsi tag of being big payers, they cant be any better or worse than most other counties.

I think Cavan spent something like €1 million last year on the county team. The figures were in the Celt the week before last in the County Convention report.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan Senior Football panel for the McKenna Cup

Shane Sheridan(Lacken)
Thomas Corr(Denn)
Darren Rabbitte(Cavan Gaels)
Keith Fannin(Drumgoon)
Paul Brady(Mullahoran)
Nicholas Walsh(Cavan Gaels)
Declan McCabe(Crosserlough)
Jonatan Crowe(Crosserlough)
Eamonn Reily(Cavan Gaels)
Thomas Wakely(Kingscourt)
Michael McDonald(Drumgoon)
Lorcan Mulvey(Buttlersbridge)
Alan Clarke(Kingscourt)
Donal Thomas(Killygarry)
Dermot McCabe(Gowna)
Anthony Forde(Cavan Gaels)--missing from Derry game as he just got married
Mark McKeever(Gowna)
Michael Brennan(Drumalee)
Michael Cunningham(Swanlinbar)
Cian Mackey(Castlerahan)
Gerald Pierson(Gowna)
Jason O Reily(Belturbet)
Martin Reily(Killygarry)
Sean Brady(Castlerahan)
Enda McCormack(Drumalee)

BallyhaiseMan

Homer

I see Micheal Brennan is named in that panel, so is he in or not.

The Bottom Brick

I'm telling you what I heard said by people who would be well informed.

Junior club managers are on 80 quid a night, two or three nights a week. What are seniuor inter county managers on? Twice that? Five times a week (including matches)?

That's 800 a week into their hand straight off, if it stops there. This is at least nine/ten months of the year remember, so you're looking at 30k cash straight off (personally I know for certain McElkennon/Cassidy had more than this each).

Add to that expenses/ meals/ gear/ free car/ free mobile phone...

You do the maths here. It's a joke but that's the way football has gone. Cavan are as fanatical as nay county, have as good a support and therefore are one of the highest payers.

On your other point...

Do you really live in the middle of Cavan? Do you really know "the Gaels lads"? OH MY GOD!!! Any chance of an autograph? Could you arrange a signed picture even?

:D :D :D

Look, this is Cavan, it's not exactly a metropolis. If you play football, go to third level with a couple of footballers, went to St Pats etc then of course you'd know a good few lads on the county panel. Just don't be letting on to be Mr Informed!

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

liihb

Sorry Lads, a little of topic here, but do any of ye know did Cavan reach an Ulster final with Val Andrews at the helm, and if so (and I think so!) what year? Settle a little bet for me
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Homer

Quote from: liihb on January 05, 2007, 10:17:34 AM
Sorry Lads, a little of topic here, but do any of ye know did Cavan reach an Ulster final with Val Andrews at the helm, and if so (and I think so!) what year? Settle a little bet for me

Andrews did indeed bring them to an Ulster final. It was 2001 against Tyrone we lost by 2 points

liihb

Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Homer

From Hoganstand

Crozier includes three Newcomers

Derry manager Paddy Crozier has named three debutants in his side for Sunday's McKenna Cup meeting with Cavan.

Kieran McIver, Aidan McAlynn and Raymond Wilkinson are given their first competitive starts and are joined in the side by established stars such as Barry Gillis, Paddy Bradley, Kevin McGuckin and Patsy Bradley.

Wilkinson is included at wing forward after impressing in Ballinderry's recent Ulster club championship campaign, while another Ballinderry man, Conleth Gilligan, makes a return to inter-county action after a year-long absence. County hurler and former All-Ireland minor winner Ruairi Convery is named at left half forward.

Derry (SF v Cavan): B Gillis; M McGoldrick, K McGuckin, J Keenan; P Cartin, K McIver, A McAlynn; J Diver, Patsy Bradley; R Wilkinson, C Gilligan, R Convery; J Kelly, Paddy Bradley, A McCartney.

--A lot of big names missing for them

The Bottom Brick

OK Thats the Ball, I bow to your superior knowledge. What were McElkennon and Cassidy getting as a matter of interest?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavanmaniac

If that panel is from the Celt you'd have to assume, as far as you can assume when it's the Celt, that it's correct. So I'm wondering where's the famous Rory Gallagher, he was supposed to be training with the panel and was supposed to be flying fit as well, so I can't think why he wouldn't be there if the whole thing hadn't been called off? Is he injured maybe? Caused a row already?

It also looks like stories of Pearse McKenna's return to the panel are wide of the mark, unless he's sitting out this competition, ironically.

Lyng's not on it either but I'm happy about that...in fact I'd use him very sparingly until maybe the last three league matches and maybe only as a sub in those games too. He's had a bad trot of terrible injuries and needs wrapping in cotton wool.

lynchbhoy

Has Rory Gallagher's transfer application gone in and also been approved yet?

I heard he was still knocking about our club and there is talk that he might be training our minors today...

The Bottom Brick

Is he coming to play for a club in Cavan?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

BallyhaiseMan

Lynchbhoy has it correct
Gallaghers transfer hasnt gone through yet...
Thats the reason he isnt listed

Homer

I heard Gallagher's transfered to Crosserlough and that he's taking over "The Pub" in Kilnaleck, don't know how true this is tho.