Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

descartes

BHMAN... I have no idea who u are but i'm guessing you have never played corner back before?

Quotehave to disagree about Brides,
Freeman set up the goal from what i can remember,Its very hard to play a forward like Freeman behind a beaten midfield, but you've got to play him either from the side or the front,
Brides played him from behind all game conceding posession,which is a killer at this level.Freeman may have scored just a point from play, but he had a hand in most of Monaghans good work.

Brides was marking from the side the entire match, this is how he always marks, however when you're on someone with the speed of tommy freeman you can end up behind him alot. If The player out the pitch can delay his pass a split second (and thats all it takes at intercounty football) it gives the inside forward the opportunity to lose his man, fake one way, the other way, another way and then make his run, its very hard to defend against. Hence you can be marking side by side, suddenly you're in front, then your moving across the pitch then your in front then your behind again, now the gets ball let in, and your man looks like a hero. now if the player out the pitch is under serious pressure he will often let it in when it suits him, and not when it suits the inside forward., for me thats a huge key in winning a football match.

sorry if this is boring anyone with the technical nuances of life as a corner back, cause i can appreciate it sure ain't sexy.

i was watching brides for a few periods during the match and what i found most heartening was his acceleration to recover from freeman's movement, freeman only looked like getting past him once in each half. considering the speed of freeman and the amount of space Monaghan created that was pretty impressive.

I thought brides did exceptionally well Saturday night.

in summary, glad to see you and hollow man are back to being BFF's

Hollow Man

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: descartes on February 20, 2008, 03:22:33 PM
BHMAN... I have no idea who u are but i'm guessing you have never played corner back before?

Quotehave to disagree about Brides,
Freeman set up the goal from what i can remember,Its very hard to play a forward like Freeman behind a beaten midfield, but you've got to play him either from the side or the front,
Brides played him from behind all game conceding posession,which is a killer at this level.Freeman may have scored just a point from play, but he had a hand in most of Monaghans good work.

Brides was marking from the side the entire match, this is how he always marks, however when you're on someone with the speed of tommy freeman you can end up behind him alot. If The player out the pitch can delay his pass a split second (and thats all it takes at intercounty football) it gives the inside forward the opportunity to lose his man, fake one way, the other way, another way and then make his run, its very hard to defend against. Hence you can be marking side by side, suddenly you're in front, then your moving across the pitch then your in front then your behind again, now the gets ball let in, and your man looks like a hero. now if the player out the pitch is under serious pressure he will often let it in when it suits him, and not when it suits the inside forward., for me thats a huge key in winning a football match.

sorry if this is boring anyone with the technical nuances of life as a corner back, cause i can appreciate it sure ain't sexy.

i was watching brides for a few periods during the match and what i found most heartening was his acceleration to recover from freeman's movement, freeman only looked like getting past him once in each half. considering the speed of freeman and the amount of space Monaghan created that was pretty impressive.

I thought brides did exceptionally well Saturday night.

in summary, glad to see you and hollow man are back to being BFF's

No ive never played Corner back in my life, so i cant say id know too much about defending a player of freemans ability. I do know a bit about Being a Forward and the movement you have described where you let the back out in front then switch direction across the field,giving the option of a diagonal ball, Very hard move to defend against,nigh impossible one on one if the forward is top quality.
Brides tried his hardest and done as well as anyone probably could,But i would still be of the opinion Freeman did alot of damage Saturday Night,but il give way to your obviously greater knowledge of defensive tactics Descartes.  :)
In conclusion though and im fairly sure everyone will agree, the blame comes down to the management in allowing Brides or any player to be isolated so much on a player of Freemans calibre.
In the second half near the end Freeman got the ball and ran at Brides and there wasnt a cavan player within 30 yards to support Brides.
In Comparison to Seanie Johnson who was mugged and harrassed by 3 or 4 Monaghan Players everytime he got the ball.
Its just terrible tactics,Obselete and shouldnt happen at Inter County Level.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 20, 2008, 04:49:55 PM
Its just terrible tactics,Obselete and shouldnt happen at Inter County Level.

Someone told me saturday night that Cavan have a Donkey and 2 Asses in charge of them, i think he was right.

Hollow Man

QuoteIn the second half near the end Freeman got the ball and ran at Brides and there wasnt a cavan player within 30 yards to support Brides.

Humiliating climb down BH Man... ;)

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Hollow Man on February 20, 2008, 05:38:37 PM
QuoteIn the second half near the end Freeman got the ball and ran at Brides and there wasnt a cavan player within 30 yards to support Brides.

Humiliating climb down BH Man... ;)

::)  ::)

however shall i live with myself!!!

LackenLegend

You guys have been moaning.............. like a bitch!!! Kiss and make up. Im sure ye could go out on a date and BH Man could try to fill your Hollow.............Man!! :D
Timmmmy!

descartes

Lacken Legend? are u sure your not the todd from scrubs in disguise. if i wasn't so impressed with your innuendo I'd be disgusted!!!  ;D ;D

Hollow Man

Lacken Bell-end, calm those dreads down or I'll have to get your favourite white guy on yo ass...

He owes you for this one...

descartes

Has anybody heard anything more about this junior team cavan are putting together for the leinster junior championship?

cavan4ever

Quote from: descartes on February 25, 2008, 10:35:38 AM
Has anybody heard anything more about this junior team cavan are putting together for the leinster junior championship?

Where did you hear that. We are Junior this year and none of our players are on it.

descartes

QuoteQuote from: descartes on Today at 10:35:38 AM

Where did you hear that. We are Junior this year and none of our players are on it.

someone was talking to me about it at the weekend, apparently if you haven't played senior intercounty last year then you're eligible. its not a team picked from junior clubs if thats what you're getting at? players from senior intermediate and junior  teams can play on it just so long as they're not on this years cavan panel or last years cavan panel. Take last years beaten all ireland finalists cork, four of the team that started in this years all ireland final won junior all ireland medals playing for Corks junior team, either the year before or the year before that. Teams like cork and meath have a strong junior team tradition, with their squads being used as a shop window for guys trying to get onto the senior panel. something tells me fellas in cavan are going to be all dismissive of the junior panel and not entertain the thought of playing on it, so it might take a few years before it gets up and running properly. There is much merit in having a junior panel, especially for a county like cavan though, too many u21's disappear after that grade who are not ready for senior but could be in a year or two. initially i heard Martin Brady from Ramor was over it, then i heard that Terry brady/smith, (the guy with the moustache????) from Lacken/denn/lavey???? ( anybody?? somebody?? help me out here?) was over it so was just wondering if anyone heard anything else about it.

CC1

I haven't heard anything on it either. Would be nice to have though, give some of us Vauxhall Conference players a chance... ;)
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Homer

Was just talking about this is at the weekend.

It's Terry Hyland from Lacken who is taking charge. As Descartes says it will probably be met with a lot of early skepticism but if we can get this off the ground and running over the next couple of years I'm sure it would prove to be a valuable development.

cavan4ever

Anyone know who is on the panel?  Senior were beating by Fermanagh Saturday evening.  Heard they were very poor again  >:(