Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Wee Marty had his problems when he came down too. He read a lazy unfit King the riot act and forced him to train to his standard - King was such a big head he thought he could dictate what his training regime would be. He also kick tobar to touch and as I said earlier, what legacy did he leave behind?

Homer

Cavan Rejects 2007

James Reilly
Joey Jordan
Cathal Collins
Martin Cahill
Anthony Gaynor
Trevor Crowe
Paul Brady
Pierce McKenna
Enda King
Alan Clarke
Rory Gallagher
Finbar Reilly
Sean Johnston
Eddie Reilly
Gerard Pierson

....not a bad side.

Homer

I heard this evening that new absentees from the Cavan Panel also include Larry Reilly and Cian Mackey.

cavanmaniac

Larry is probably only good/fit for an impact sub role now and probably isn't willing to hang around for just that, Mackey meanwhile, for all the hype, isn't the first cousin of an intercounty footballer and doesn't even stand out for his club any time I've seen him, so he's no big loss at the present time.

Will be interesting to see who the new triallists are ahead of the new season. If Keogan can do one thing it's blood a few new players before his tenure ends. I was prepared to stomach him as long as he had Grimley there but now I just can't wait to see the back of him. Unless this new guy whose name I've forgotten already turns out to be something special...

CavanCola

How many times have cavan been in the Preliminary round of the ulster Championship in the last 10 years?

Thought that years ago that a bunch of teams had to go into a draw to see if they would be in the prelim round. (Teams that hadn't being in the prelim round for some time?). This way every team took turns to play the "Extra match" at some point.

Just seems like we are out in the middle of May travelling to Belfast on a yearly basis now?

Homer

If I recall correctly

Preliminary Round 2001 - Antrim
Preliminary Round 2002 - Donegal
Preliminary Round 2006 - Down
Preliminary Round 2007 - Down

Preliminary Round 2008 - Antrim ???

Would agree that Mackey is no major loss to the set-up as he never really showed the spark that I for one was anticipating.

On the other hand I feel Larry definitely has something more to give, you only have to look at his single handed demolishing of Killygarry at the weeknend to see that. (2-4 from play).

Ballinagh lost to Cuchuillainns yesterday 2-12 to 4-08. Played some decent football ourselves and led by 7 shortly after the break then all of a sudden we fell asleep while the Cu cu's found their shooting boots and notched up 3-5 unanswered in ten minutes  :o.

(EDIT - Actually we lost the last four prelim's)

Denn Forever

Mullahoran beat us this weekend but there were multiple sendings off I hear.  Were there?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hollow Man

2-4 from play?  ::)

Larry scored three points from play, five frees and a penalty...

Rogers got Knockbride's other goal

It's amazing the way stuff gets exaggerated...

Homer

Apologies Hollow Man, Chinese whispers and all that.  :-\

mylestheslasher

The draw has been very unkind to us again. First away to Antrim, a team under year 2 of a new regime. They'll be looking at that fixture as winnable and I think that game will be the focus of their year. I think it will be a tough one for us but we should be good enough to beat Antrim surely?

Assuming we do, we get a home draw against Armagh. It is hard to know at this point how good or bad either Cavan or Armagh will be next summer but it will certainly be a tough game. Home advantage might count for something but it will harldy be enough. The reward for winning that will be a semi against Down or Tyrone. You'd have to say Tyrone but again it is too early to judge form. Could Cavan beat Armagh or Tyrone in 2 games in a row? I doubt it as most teams in Ireland would have problems doing that.

The other side of the draw is pretty nasty too with Donegal, Monaghan and Derry all looking to win their 1st Ulsters in a long while and all with a good shout of doing it. It really is a graveyard of a province.

It is time of the year to set goals for the year ahead. For primary goal, I would like to see a new Cavan team with dedicated players giving it their all with tales of drinking and shitty attitudes gone. Secondary goal, is retaining our place in Div 2 of the league do that this new team can keep learning against the types of teams we want them to compete with and not with the lower tier teams we've been playing for the last 2 years. Third goal, Winning two games in Ulster and two in the back door. I think that is a fairly tough assignment but if the year was going well up to that point maybe it is possible.

Not sure what type of minor team we will have next year but hopefully we can build on the promise everyone talks about and actually win Ulster (although I presume the minors get the same draw as the seniors which will make it very hard too).

Can't say I am too optomistic but heres hoping.

cavanmaniac

That's all fair enough Myles, it's achieveable at a stretch and would represent some sort of progress. Most vital for me is the foundations though, the results can wait to a degree IMO although surviving in Div 2 is an absolute must...but the core of dedicated players all working towards one goal in a disciplined way is priority number one now and always. It's the only hope we have of achieving something in the next few years but it remains to be seen whether management/county board have recognised the mistakes of the last 10 years and are willing to take a longer term approach. There needs to be the same ackowledgement now that there was in 1995 that we have effectively hit rock bottom and need to start from scratch all over again, instead of trying to put sticking plaster solutions in place for what's there - and patently not working - at the moment. Like 1995, despite the current malaise there are players in the county that can do much, much better than we are faring at present if someone at the top will only reorganise, reinvigorate and re-inspire the whole scene.

It wouldn't do to hold your breath as Cavan football isn't exactly thick with visionaries as far as I can see.

cavan4ever

Just after reading about a county regional competion that is going to be taking place with a view of selecting players for Cavan Senior and U-21 teams.  It's a good idea and is definately worth a try but i can't see to many lads from West Cavan travelling to Kingscourt or Mullahorn on a week night.

Drung are teamed up with Belturbet, Drumlane, Kildallon, Ballyhaise, Redhills :o , Killl

I don't know if we would have to many interested in this, Barry Watter and Mickey McEntee would be the only one's worth looking at.  What about yourselves BHman?  Barry Kelly, Slowey who else?

BallyhaiseMan

Them two alongisde Cullivan on the seniors

and Sean McCormack and Ray Cullivan on the under 21's.

cavanmaniac

How is young Cullivan's injury? I hope he's in cotton wool and taking it slowly.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 17, 2007, 04:08:56 PM
How is young Cullivan's injury? I hope he's in cotton wool and taking it slowly.

had another operation last wednesday,was at the Belturbet league game and could walk around and kick the ball on the other foot :o .

for a normal player he should be ready for the league next year,but seeing as Cullivan is an absolute animal on the field and in the gym,nothing would suprise me to see him play in an under 21 final in december should we make it!!!