Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

FFS. Not the actions of a happy bunny! Maybe there is something to the previous post about Keoghan not seeing eye-to-eye with Gaynor.

ExiledGael

Anyone know today's U21 championship scores? How did Parnells v Castlerahan go?

mylestheslasher

Castlerahan won 1-8 to 0-1. Wasn't at it but the result is up on aertel p586.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: anglocelt39 on December 07, 2006, 02:40:53 PM
dont all these smug ones seem to be fellas that either didnt play after u12 level or come from a rubbish club

I mean, nobber - that renowned successful club side...

If only it were so Lynchbhoy, the fella in question wouldn't kick doors on a halloween night, no more than myself, unfortunately he is from a clan with some serious form, as in All Ireland medals in the pocket. with that legendary modesty, not afraid to let you know about it either.

I'd have an answer to that and all Celt - if its the crew I think yer talking about
they are a decent family but have their achilles heel also - more so in the post playing involvement
...theres nothing to crow about there..

I remember putting a kilmaighnamwood eejit back in his box a few years back - he owned a pub round cootehill and was of similar smugness (another guy about 5' 6" , jampot glasses and never kicked a ball)

never kickt a ball

Quote(another guy about 5' 6" , jampot glasses and never kicked a ball)

Leave me out o this lads

The Bottom Brick

I hear there was a big spread in the Star yesterday about Keogan "Big name GAA manager faces 12 charges" or something

Anyone see it?

Anyone give us a report on the U21 final?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavan4ever

heard about the thing on keoghan.  does anyone know what it said??

Maximus Marillius

I seen it, cant remember if it Friday or Saturday, regardless, I was absolutely stunned reading it, roughly it said that he was up on charges of drinking an driving, assulting a guard and also up on another charge of assulting a woman, there was possibly a few other bits in there, but these were the major ones. Did the county board know of these impending charges when making his appointment, very embarressing, the worst is yet to come I would imagine. There will be fun when it gets to court, they will take lots of milage out of it. Crazy stuff.

The Bottom Brick

The whole county knew about it, sure he's one of the most high profile GAA people in Cavan.

However, as the saying goes, he who pays the piper calls the tune...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavanmaniac

Was at the U21 final alright and I have to say I'd be advising any Castlerahan folk who have designs on a senior championship in future years to perhaps curb their enthusiasm a bit.

It finished 1-8 to 0-8 and I'd say if it had gone on for five more minutes Parnells might have nicked it and possibly deserved to.

I know Castlerahan's reputation is for having very skilful young footballers but I think they've forgotten that a hard work ethic and sensible tactical approach are also required if more success is to come their way. In the opening half, a much bigger and hardier Parnells side seemed to be trying to upset Castlerahan with late tackles and off the ball niggle (nothing too serious mind) instead of concentrating on the ball. Early balls into attack paid dividends for Castlerahan in this period and a few nice points were tapped over by their no14 while a perceptive pass inside resulted in a foul and peno for Cian Mackey to convert. Parnells didn't have much up front in this half despite winning a fair share of possession; shooting wides or getting bottled up. It was noticeable even at this stage though how hard the Parnells lads were working, hunting like terriers, four and five around the opponent with the ball every time. They just didn't have the class in attack to convert this labour intensive approach into scores. It was 1-5 to 0-2 at the break I think.

Second half, Parnells put the shoulder to the wheel even more. Constantly Castlerahan tried to short pass the ball out of defence which was suicide given the closing down Parnells were doing and their massive physical superiority. Unlike the first half a few scores started to come and their no13 was doing a fair bit of damage and eventually got man of the match. Parnells were immense around the middle third as well. It was hot and heavy for the favourites at this stage, they couldn't win a single ball in midfield to exploit the forwards who in fairness did give Parnells bother any time they got it - it was just all too rare they saw the ball so dominated were Castlerahan from their own kickouts. As well, any time 'Rahan gained possession at the back they short-passed themselves into trouble or got harassed into coughing up the ball. One way traffic practically.

Parnells had a brilliant goal chance at one stage when three down, midway through second half, very well saved by the Castlerahan keeper. Had it gone in I'd say Castlerahan were buried. As it transpired they were within 2 at one point later on but this was the closest they got. The ref Brian Crowe got some stick from Parnells fans but I think he did ok. There was a peno not given but it was defo outside the box and then he gave a free out with Parnells attacking in a good position for a handy score but it looked like a charging offence to me with the elbow up. He did give Mackey two verrrry soft frees though, both in first half.

The odd occasion Castlerahan manged to work an attack, they scored. All three of their second half scores came from 14 yard frees, to be honest they weren't even getting wides from play so little did they have of the ball. Two of those scores came very late on and as I said at the top, if there was five more minutes to play I'd have fancied Parnells to nick it.

Underdogs Parnells can consider themselves very unlucky. They didn't have the individuals Castlerahan had (no14 had a great first half, Flanagan at centre back played very well and the full back did well in a defence that saw an awful lot of pressure and hard duty in second half) but they worked like trojans and supported each other much better than a slightly complacent-looking Castlerahan. Their physical strength also told massively and on this basis, Castlerahan won't be winning an SFC with this crop of nice footballers who haven't the muscle or on this performance at least, haven't the appetite for the hard yards and slog work.

Parnells side is almost entirely U21 again next year and for the effort, spirit and never say die approach to this game I hope they get their rewards in 2007. Lucky Castlerahan!

anglocelt39

Thanks for the under 21 report, sounds like whoever was coaching Parnells got a fairly limited team operating to maximum potential. Any defenders there that could do a job for the county at that grade?

Now in deference to the fact that Maniac is the senior cavan poster on site I've decided to curb my dark pessimistic moods until we are a few games into the league and all that. The Keogan media situation really makes you wonder though. Now there are plenty of inter county coaches who are no angels, although I can't think of one off hand who has managed to have his dirty linen washed this publicly. Of course, doesn't matter a f**k if the results are produced. The county board are certainly giving plenty of hostages to fortune if things were to go wrong and team disciplilne was a factor, team discipline of the off the field variety that is. Never a dull moment.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

The Bottom Brick

I honestly think Cavan will make a lot of progress this year (if their manager stays out of the can!).

We've hit one of the lowest ebbs we've ever been at - the only way really is up. There is a strong core of talented young players and a nice mix of experience too if they can be coaxed to put in a serious effort.

As someone pointed out on this board before, if you had've said in May '94 when we had lost our sixth first round game in a row that within three years we'd be Ulster champions (when Ulster meant something) and have made an Under 21 All Ireland final you'd have been laughed at.

That Under 21 team in 96 did nothing at minor remember, not unlike this year's Under 21 crop. Like 97, we've got a good draw at senior this year, avoiding the big guns really until the Ulster final (hypothetical obviously).

The spine of the defence are in their prime now - Miller (if he plays), Rabbitt, Forde, Gunner... Up front then we have three of the best 22 year olds in Ireland in Brady, Johnston and McKeever.

I mean the likes of Beano McDonald or Donie Brennan wouldn't hold a candle to Johnston. He's the main man this year, but a lot depends on McKeever. When he plays really well Cavan are a different team. He's the forgotten man I think.

Then you still have the likes of McCabe, Jason, Larry - surely they have something to offer...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavan4ever

yeah i agree with ya in what ur saying bout mckeever when he is playing well cavan seem to play well.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: anglocelt39 on December 11, 2006, 08:51:00 PM
Thanks for the under 21 report, sounds like whoever was coaching Parnells got a fairly limited team operating to maximum potential. Any defenders there that could do a job for the county at that grade?

Nail on the head. It would have been a real triumph for grit and determination. The physical bulk of their side would make me hope a few of the players get drafted although none of them stood out - a real team effort tbh - but if Cavan teams at all levels need one thing it a bit of brute force and old fashioned pig-headed ignorance.

Quote from: anglocelt39 on December 11, 2006, 08:51:00 PM
Now in deference to the fact that Maniac is the senior cavan poster on site I've decided to curb my dark pessimistic moods until we are a few games into the league and all that...

That's all we can do. In keeping with the 'crossroads' theory I've been espousing all year, Cavan can either stay precisely where they are or make significant progress. That's why the manager appointment was so crucial and although it didn't work out as we all had hoped we've no option but to give Keogan a shot now and besides, with the mobiles in the Joy and all that he should be able to conduct team affairs from D wing, or else get his cell mate Anto to pick the team for the Down game.
There's lots of reasons to think it could go well and equally good reasons perhaps to believe the opposite but for all the reasons I've outlined all year I choose to be genuinely hopeful if not outright expectant, and get behind the lads until given reason to do otherwise.
Although it's the U21s I'm really watching out for this year...I will be genuinely disgusted if we don't achieve something at this level this year.

Homer

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on December 08, 2006, 06:33:52 PM
Gaynor takes a break 'Down Under'

Was talking to Anthony before he left and very much intended coming home alright, he is after playing a very hectic year of football (I think Ballinagh played as many games at senior level as anyone else this year) so he just wanted a break and with the current schedule now is his only chance.

I don't know how the Keoghan and co felt about this tho.