8 McKenna
9 walsh

10 Sean Brady
11 Lyng
12 McKeever

13 Jelly
14 McCabe
15 Pierson

With Larry and Jason as impact subs. If this team was fit and pumped up I think it's a serious outfit..

That's a pretty good shout at our best team alright. I'd swop Gaynor and Forde and that'd be about all I'd change.

There'd be question marks over Lyng's fitness though, and McKeever's commitment, while Pierson faded out of the picture a bit prematurely last year if I recall which looked a bit sus, I don't think he was injured.

Is Paddy Brady from Gowna knocking about, or John Tierney...I heard the latter was regaining some fitness but these stories go around all the time. Brady was a shocking disappointment in the senior shirt after years of stardom underage. Shame.

BallyhaiseMan

Know nothing about Paddy Brady...
John Tierney is out of the country at the moment so im told...I think his injuries have cleared up though and i heard he was playing savage stuff in the US this year.....so put id him down as an unknown at this stage.

at this stage my team would be.

1.Miller

2.Hannon
3.Rabbite
4.Fannin

5.Gunner
6.Gaynor
7.Forde

8.McKenna
9.Walsh

10.Sean Brady
11.Gallagher
12.McKeever

13.Jelly
14.McCabe
15.Pierson

It will take Lyng a good while to recover his fitness/form as he hasnt played for nearly 15 months.
Mad Eddie
Larry
Martin Cahill
Jayo
Flanagan
Cullivan etc
and some other younger lads etc all to come in

We all know though, this being Cavan...That the team come the championship will be nothing like these...
Some of theseplayers will be injured,some will opt out...and others will impress.

lynchbhoy

I like the look of your side BH
even though you are an eejit (so we are told !  ::))

Maybe Gallagher in at FF with McCabe getting the crowd going with an introduction to save the game midway through the second half a la Down replay in Breffni 2005 (I think it was)

BallyhaiseMan

Me an eejit Never!!!  ;D
McCabe was flying in the challenge game we played against Laois on Saturday even though we got hammered...
He was flying in the McKenna Cup this year against Fermanagh and gave an exhibition of fielding i havent seen from him in at least 5 years....
If he can stay clear of the injuries and get and keep the weight off....He might be in the middle of the field with Nicko Walshe at Centre or Full Forward.

anglocelt39

Fairly familiar names from everyone with their teams for next year. As I see it basically the team from two years ago that got to last 12 plus Sean Brady/Pierson in for a lough of Reilly's. All we need is a bit of luck with injuries, inter player relations, general committment and who knows where it could lead................

One name that has been quickly forgotten is Mulvey from the Bridge, which is interesting given our lack of options at midfield. As I recall he was starting to show a bit of promise during the league last year. Got himself injured and then, in a cameo of the fortunes of Cavan football was brought on in his injured state against Armagh in Under 21 Championship towards the end, but with enough time to get sent off for kickin some bloke up the hole and copped a 12 week suspension. Pity. Remember he looked a bit out of it two years ago but did seem to be making a fist of things last year before "events" intervened. Any opinions.

Some Laois bloke posted a very good item on hogan stand today. Bad news is that we were up against a Laois development squad, so he reckoned. He spoke very positively of a long haired bloke in our half back line who made a big impression and looked seriously fit. Any chance it was Wakely from Kingscourt? My source up there told me he was talked into the senior panel this year and is in serious shape. Same source also told me that Gaynor played some savage ball at FF for Ballinagh, reckons it's a position that might be more suited to the lads temprament. Pity it leaves a bit of a gap at half back though.

Final point, our Laois man pointed out that Dermot was getting rather upset with his fellow players. Good man yourself, nothing like a November challenge to generate a bit of bonding, togetherness and team spirit.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Rossi

Quote from: anglocelt39 on December 05, 2006, 08:52:06 PM

Some Laois bloke posted a very good item on hogan stand today. Bad news is that we were up against a Laois development squad, so he reckoned. He spoke very positively of a long haired bloke in our half back line who made a big impression and looked seriously fit.

I'd say it was probably Ballyhaisemans club mate Barry Kelly,he's a big strong lad,very fit,good on the ball, although his defending at times may be suspect.

Even though Podge may have opted out at the moment,I'd be fairly sure that he'll be there or thereabouts in the summer. 

The Bottom Brick

Ath this time of year if you're just super fit you're bound to stand out though. Come summer when everyone is flying fit it could be a different story...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Homer

Hey folks new poster here, well probably more of an observer than poster.

Anyway take a deep breath, cos I'm from Ballinagh!! But don't worry I won't be littering the board with up the nagh crap that goes on the hoganstand.

Just to give yous more of a Ballinagh related inside track on the county, Podge isn't going in because he is in his final year in college but he will play for county u21s. P.S wouldn't be surprised to see Gaynor booted of the panel at some stage, not that he is an angel or anything ;D, but Keoghan has it in for him and will send him packing given half the chance.

mylestheslasher

If I were Keoghan I'd be more worried about who has it in for him (half of Cavan)!!! I reckon Gaynor could be one of our star men this year if someone could help him channel his aggression into football and away from stupidity. I also think Cavan are going to need a three man midfield this year as with McCabes legs gone they just don't have the players to compete with the best on a 1 to 1 basis. I think we'll have to model ourselves on the Tyrone team of around 6/7 years ago which had a small athletic midfield and broke every ball that came near them. I'm thinking maybe Paul Brady might be a man that could be one of the three??

BallyhaiseMan

Welcome to the board Homer......
Indeed Rossi is correct Barry Kelly of my own club supposedly was oustanding against Laois....
Hes a very very good player....hes a very attacking half back,although i would disagree with Rossi's observation that his defending can be a bit poor,other than Slowey hes probably our best Man marker...
Homer, i cant see Keoghan throwing Gaynor out of the panel....With Crowe refusing into the panel,we dont have a plethora of Centre Halves(lets face it..Forde is too small for Centre Half back).
Myles....i like the idea of Paul Brady as a third midfielder...hes probably the best fielder of a ball on the panel...its a shame he wasnt a few inches taller...

cavanmaniac

Welcome Homer!

I have to say I'm loving the huge Cavan presence on this board. I think for about two years I was the only Cavan man on here, it was fierce lonely altogether. Then a bloke called blue05 or something - blue something anyway - arrived and kept me company for a further year or so and then, bejasus, the floodgates opened and we have our own threads that never die and run to multiples of pages.

We don't win very much but our presence here shows the massive interest we have in the games and would put other counties to shame! ;D

anglocelt39

We don't win very much but our presence here shows the massive interest we have in the games and would put other counties to shame!

Welcome on board Homer. Maniacs comment is indeed as true as it gets. Reminds me of a particularly smug p***k I work with from one of our un-named neighbouring counties, lets just say you have to travel through there on the way to Dublin. The jist of what he delivered in a best flat Nobber style was............"bejasus if All Irelands were won on canteen talk, shop floor talk and pub talk they'd be presenting it to ye every year". Presume he has now added internet chatter. Hate to admit it, maybe the @#@@#er had a point.

Here's to success in 07

lynchbhoy

Quote from: anglocelt39 on December 07, 2006, 01:19:56 PM
We don't win very much but our presence here shows the massive interest we have in the games and would put other counties to shame!

Welcome on board Homer. Maniacs comment is indeed as true as it gets. Reminds me of a particularly smug p***k I work with from one of our un-named neighbouring counties, lets just say you have to travel through there on the way to Dublin. The jist of what he delivered in a best flat Nobber style was............"bejasus if All Irelands were won on canteen talk, shop floor talk and pub talk they'd be presenting it to ye every year". Presume he has now added internet chatter. Hate to admit it, maybe the @#@@#er had a point.

Here's to success in 07

dont all these smug ones seem to be fellas that either didnt play after u12 level or come from a rubbish club

I mean, nobber - that renowned successful club side...
:D

anglocelt39

dont all these smug ones seem to be fellas that either didnt play after u12 level or come from a rubbish club

I mean, nobber - that renowned successful club side...

If only it were so Lynchbhoy, the fella in question wouldn't kick doors on a halloween night, no more than myself, unfortunately he is from a clan with some serious form, as in All Ireland medals in the pocket. with that legendary modesty, not afraid to let you know about it either.

BallyhaiseMan

Gaynor takes a break 'Down Under'
08 December 2006

One of the most talented young footballers in Cavan football at the present time – Anthony Gaynor from the Ballinagh club has departed for Australia for a few months break, and will miss the Dr. McKenna Cup and games in the National Football League with the Breffni county side.

The versatile defender, who has had a long hard season with club and county, culminating in his club winning the Cavan SFL title (Division One) recently against a fancied Gowna side is hoping to stay in Australia for a few months. His plans are to come back to Ireland early next year, and hopefully, play a role with Cavan and Ballinagh in championship football.

No doubt, his departure 'Down Under' is a great disappointment for the new Cavan senior management team, who are hoping to get a settled team in time for the start of the National Football League which commences early in February. Gaynor would be very much in the plans, and all they can hope for is that he comes back refreshed early in the new year in plenty of time for the opening round of the 2007 Ulster SFC and the meeting with Down in Kingspan/Breffni Park, Cavan