Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

It's rare the Cavan team annouced is what it is on the day of the game. Niall Murray would be unlucky to lose out too. But shows there is good competition for places

Itchy

Happy enough with the team close enough to the best players we have available to us at present.

Westside

If Mackey and Keating were in the side I would be much more confident.. As it is I think we will lack penetration. Unfortunately I think Lyng's day has gone.. Too ponderous on the ball and looking for the hollywood pass when keeping it simple would be a better option.

Murtagh and Enda Smyth didn't play for the U21s today so assume we'll be facing them tomorrow. Smyth tore us apart in the Championship last year.

rodney trotter

Smith will be better shackled tomorrow.

tierworker blue

I'll not make it down to Roscommon tomorrow. I'm still thawing out from Armagh last Saturday (both physically and mentally...Christ we had to listen to some moronic rubbish directed at our lads from the opposition's 'supporters' around us! Gas thing is, that hard and all as it was to listen to this year, last year's Final was worse...I've seen and heard a lot of auld guff at matches over the years, but that night took the biscuit!) Anyhoo, does anyone know if it'll be on the wireless?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tierworker blue on January 31, 2015, 11:51:10 PM
I'll not make it down to Roscommon tomorrow. I'm still thawing out from Armagh last Saturday (both physically and mentally...Christ we had to listen to some moronic rubbish directed at our lads from the opposition's 'supporters' around us! Gas thing is, that hard and all as it was to listen to this year, last year's Final was worse...I've seen and heard a lot of auld guff at matches over the years, but that night took the biscuit!) Anyhoo, does anyone know if it'll be on the wireless?

Same Tyrone supporters are probably calling for Mickey Hartes head this morning after the hiding Monaghan gave them. No doubt if we lose today too the loons on Hoganstand will be at the same thing. Some people are too stupid to be allowed into matches.
I'm going to Kiltoom anyway, if i get a chance I'll put out a summary here later. Game will be on Northern Sound and with Monaghan not playing it should be almost full coverage.

Denn Forever

Northern Sound/Shannonside will have it but with less colourfull language unless there a few "Hairy Marys".
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

beer baron

This commentator'd do the heart no good on a Sunday.

comeysfield

A lot of heavy breathing from Damien Donohoe but great result

mrdeeds

Good performance. Couple of shocking decisions against us from referee. Fergal Flanagan gave an immense performance. Forwards is a concern. Barry Reilly improved it.

mylestheslasher

A good away point but really could have been two if it were not for Michael Duffys joke of a performance as referee. Cavan had a point waved wide and Ros had a wide waved as a point. I was right behind both and I'm fairly sure that they were both called wrongly against Cavan.

Roscommon were very defensive, a big team with 13 men behind the ball. We just could not get a ball to stick inside with Dunne and McDermott easily snuffed out almost for the whole game despite the fact that we had the lions share of possession. Killian Clarke for me was our best player, getting a hand to nearly every kickout, running at Roscommon and tackling hard. Mark McKeever had a nightmare and was taken off but not before he gave away 1-1 with terrible handpasses. Rory Dunne had a big battle with Kilbride, struggled early on with him but I think eventually he got on top.

We lost the 2nd quarter but kicked the last two points of the 1st half and we were only 2 down at half time. Barry Reilly came on at half time for McKeever and Hayes came on for Gunner (before he got the inevitable 2nd yellow). Barry got a lovely point, jinking between two defenders and scoring from distance. Gearoid got 4 outstanding trademark points but still the ball wouldnt stick inside. In the end Duffy kept Ros in it with frees as they totally ran out of ideas in attack in the 2nd half. Martin Reilly twice equalised in the last 2 minutes, one a fine score from the side line and the other a 45 but Martin missed another 3/4 and it wasn't his best day shooting although his work rate was phenomenal.

So good today was the fight and belief, Good in defence, At times we got some really good counter attacking scores, We scored a lot from 30m and further out and a really strong midfield partnership.

Bad was we played the whole game pretty much with a totally malfunctioning FF (not all their fault, the balls in were not great), winning maybe 1/10 balls. Also an awful lot of bad handpasses and poor decision making.

At the end of the day a point away is a great start and if we can beat Laois that will mean a super start to the year with 3 home games to come. The only thing is some teams I was expecting to lose acually won so it is going to be tough to get some points between us and the relegation zone.

Old yeller

Our inability to win the ball in the full forward line yesterday was sickening. As quick as it was being kicked in by the Cavan midfield/hal forwards,  the Roscommon defenders kicked it back out past them again. Must've been soul destroying for them

Blue in hope

Quote from: Old yeller on February 02, 2015, 01:28:54 PM
Our inability to win the ball in the full forward line yesterday was sickening. As quick as it was being kicked in by the Cavan midfield/hal forwards,  the Roscommon defenders kicked it back out past them again. Must've been soul destroying for them

To be fair the ball into the full forward line was poor .One stage in the first half we had Dunne and Lyng inside and we pumped high ball in. Roscommon had always two men double marking  our two playing inside. We showed yesterday again that we have players who can score from 35-40 metres out. We should tyr it more often rather than playng across the pitch looking for the opening but instead getting overturned.

mrdeeds

Dunne didn't bother making a run in 2nd half. Lot of good ball went into McDermot but it didn't stick. Lyng is no corner forward. Starting him there and McVeety on 40 made no sense.

Denn Forever

Some people couldn't make the Roscpmmon game.  Both had tight finishes.

http://www.joe.ie/sport/pic-who-else-spotted-the-man-wearing-the-cavan-gaa-jersey-during-the-superbowl/483251

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...