Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: Itchy on January 01, 2015, 08:47:23 PM
Galligan is a brilliant free taker but has no pace for outfield but a keeper? That's a bit mad or could it be a master stroke?

They will probably try it out for a while but I doubt if the other two keepers would be happy with it.

Westside

Big win for the 21s today beating Meath by 13 points. Sounds like Connolly Hayes and Madden did almost all of the scoring. Roscommon and Kerry also in the group so it's an uphill task from here to get out of the group.

mylestheslasher

U21 team that lined out today was...

Darren O Donoghue
John Carney
Mark Magee
Fergal Reilly
Gerrard Smith
Aaron Watson
Jonathan Leddy
Kian Monahan
Kevin Brady
Niall Clerkin
Conor Madden
Jonathon McCabe
Conor Bradley
Tom Hayes
Ryan Connolly

Subs Named: Mark Fegan, Cormac Daly, Barry Fortune, Dan Wharton, Eoin Sommerville, Brian Magee, Brian O Connell, Conall Sheridan, Cathal Maguire

From following on twitter I'd guess Connolly hit 1-7 or so, Hayes and Madden made 0-2 or 0-3 each.

By my reckoning they were without Argue, Buchanan, Faulkner, Ciaran Brady and Enda Flanagan all of whom will almost certainly be starting come championship time.

Anyone care to match the clubs to the players?

tommysmith

Will guess a few of them myles

Darren O Donoghue
John Carney Cootehill
Mark Magee
Fergal Reilly Castlerahan
Gerrard Smith Lavey
Aaron Watson Drung
Jonathan Leddy Butlersbridge
Kian Monahan Castlerahan
Kevin Brady
Niall Clerkin Shercock
Conor Madden Gowna
Jonathon McCabe Arvagh
Conor Bradley Ramor
Tom Hayes Cootehill
Ryan Connolly Drumlane

Westside

I think the Goalkeeper is Darren Donohoe from Templeport. Kevin Brady is from Cavan Gaels.

scoopmine

Kian Monahan is Drumlane and Kevin Brady is from Arva...

Itchy

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tommysmith on January 02, 2015, 09:43:27 AM
Quote from: Itchy on January 01, 2015, 08:47:23 PM
Galligan is a brilliant free taker but has no pace for outfield but a keeper? That's a bit mad or could it be a master stroke?

They will probably try it out for a while but I doubt if the other two keepers would be happy with it.

Its a fascinating move. In the modern game the priority for the keeper is to command their area, distribute their kick outs extremely accurately and to do so must be able to read what is in front of them. Galligan is an exceptional free taker. I remember years ago when he got a run in League/McKenna cup as a forward he hit up on 10 points in some games. Obviously the idea of stopping shots is still very important and whether Galligan can learn enough to have this as part of his game remains to be seen.

One of the big pluses would be the ability to kick frees from 50-55 meters out. I've seen other teams foul us repeatedly out that distance in the knowledge we have no one to knock them over. That would change.

Westside

Fairly strong starting lineup for the first McKenna Cup game. Paul Smith the only player making his Senior debut. Interesting to see how Killian Clarke gets on at midfield. The front 6 has a glaring lack of power.

James Farrelly, Joshua Hayes, Rory Dunne, Jason McLoughlin, Dara McVeety, Damien O'Reilly, Paul Smith, Gearoid McKiernan, Killian Clarke, Christopher Conroy, Barry Reilly, Martin Reilly, Ronan Flanagan, Brendan Fitzpatrick, Jack Brady

Westside

Tom Hayes on for the Cavan Seniors now. Disappointing, he played almost an full game yesterday for the U21s, expected better from Terry and co.

Itchy

To be fair Westside they were shy a large amount of forwards andim sure Terry would have not put Hayes on toll much later but he was forced to sub two forwards (Conroy & bud Fitz) early in the first half.

Good result although a few key things went our way at key times,  getting a soft penalty and then saving a Down penalty in the 2nd half.

Good win, sets us up for 2 home games to get out of the group.

mrdeeds

Blue in hope

Down manager doesn't think we have changed our approach!!!

Down boss slams Cavan's blanket defence
06 January 2015

Down manager Jim McCorry says "it would be terrible for gaelic football" if other teams followed Cavan's lead.
The Breffni County claimed victory in McCorry's first competitive outing as Mourne County boss at Newry on Sunday and the home manager was not impressed by the negativity shown by the visitors:
"Against Cavan we came up against a sweeper and a double-sweeper at times while we instead wanted to play open football," he notes in The Belfast Telegraph. "I think it would be terrible for gaelic football if this is the way it is to be."

packiedevlin

Anyone hear that Keating has left the panel? There are rumours around that he has.

big balla

That rumour goes around every year!  :D