Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bottom Brick

Definitely. The most unfit team I saw in the football championship last year. Terrible indictment of McElkennon really.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

BallyhaiseMan

what i heard was 3 organised nights a week... and players encouraged to do hit the gym or roads etc two-three other nights themselves(ala Tyrone style system)...This being Cavan though,the other 2/3 nights are probably used for drinking!!!
But i could be mistaken...maybe they are at it 5 nights a week.

cavan4ever

is jason reilly still on the panel ??

BallyhaiseMan

From what ive been told...
Everyone is in there bar Peter Reily who retired... and Podge and Miller who have opted out.
so Jason is yep.

cavan4ever

podge will b a big miss but u couldn't blame the lad for what he has gone through the last while..  Miller didn't opt out he told D.K he couldn't commit to training on a saturday until after xmas cos of personal reasons and was told he wasn't wanted if he wasn't going to give it 100%. 

BallyhaiseMan

I wouldnt mind that...
Miller will be in goals come the championship......
Although Flanagan of Cuchullains is an able understudy.

cavan4ever

I take it u mean Anderson of Cuchullains.  i think the lacken keeper is on the panel now aswell.  I doubt if miller will be back .

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on December 04, 2006, 04:21:40 PM
I take it u mean Anderson of Cuchullains.  i think the lacken keeper is on the panel now aswell.  I doubt if miller will be back .

ahh ANDERSON damnit i always mix up his name and that of the small Cuchullains cornerback Colm Flanagan.....
Shane Sheridan the Lacken keeper is in as you said...dont know much about him and havent seen him play so cant really comment on him.

cavanmaniac

Miller will be a miss alright but there were signs his heart wasn't in it last year after his Allstar perfromances the year previously. What's encouraging though is that DK told him to hit the road if he couldn't give it 100%. McElkennon would have accommodated him.

Bit of a tanking in Laois by all accounts - does anyone know what the team was? I took a look at the Laois site but it made my eyes bleed...

What happened with Podge? Was there a family bereavement? Shame he can't come back in, a good defender.

ac39 - I'd imagine Dermo will still be giving lip to all comers, not just McKenna. Dermo's an equal opportunities harrassment officer, he leaves nobody out generally. I expect McKenna is ready for it and is thick-skinned enough at this stage.

As for Flanagan, I'd say he's getting enough football already, he'll still be college and U21 and senior for his club and already has had a few injuries I think. He's a bit slight yet too, I'd have him as a sub but Sean Brady is big enough and experienced enough to hold his own now. He's not an intercounty midfielder though he has more to offer making sniping passes from the half-forward line and getting on the end of attacks.

BallyhaiseMan

Some of you guys are pretty much against giving some of our young Starlets,Flanagan,Mackey,Cullivan etc much playing time this year as alot think they are too young...
The question i ask is what age do you think these players will ready for County Senior football then, 20/ 21?
The way Sean Brady has played this year for UCD and Castlerahan,leaves no doubt in my mind that his time for the county has come...But not at midfield in my opinion...Wing forward.

anglocelt39

ac39 - I'd imagine Dermo will still be giving lip to all comers, not just McKenna. Dermo's an equal opportunities harrassment officer, he leaves nobody out generally. I expect McKenna is ready for it and is thick-skinned enough at this stage.

Nice one. Didn't I hear on this board some time ago that Dermo reserved special affection for Pierce, who in turn became reciprocal as he felt a bit more established and got a kind of pissed off with the stick. Early days at this stage, the first test for the new team management will come when it gets around to naming a panel for the league.

Few people noting that Cavan had a "bigger" team out than Laois. Think back to last years fixture against Down and a few of our stalwarts were looking a lot bigger than I had seen them in some time, not in the positive sporting sense of the word unfortunately. Mind you, if there are a few big men who can play a bit of footy brought into the panel, would be most welcome.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

The Bottom Brick

OK everyone fit, well and available come championship, here's my best team

1 Miller

2 Hannon
3 Rabbitt
4 Fannin

5 Brady
6 Forde
7 Gaynor

8 McKenna
9 walsh

10 Sean Brady
11 Lyng
12 McKeever

13 Jelly
14 McCabe
15 Pierson

With Larry and Jason as impact subs. If this team was fit and pumped up I think it's a serious outfit...

Savage goalkeeper
fullback line looks airtight if Rabbitt can keep his concentration
Half back line is brilliant, right balance of ballwinning, athleticism and pace
midfield is dubious alright
half forward line is fantastic - carrying ability, scoring, pace and fitness - this would be our strongest line
full forward line wouldnt be afr off the half forwards - jelly is going to be a household name this time next year if we do well. McCabe could be the perfect foil
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Rossi

I'm just guessing but I reckon that Jackson may have being a factor in getting McKenna back in the fold and if that is the case I wouldn't be surprised to see Millar between the sticks come the summer.He is by far the best goalie out there,although at times I'd like to see him vary his kickouts.
Maybe Cavan4ever might have a slant on this.

cavan4ever

yeah id say jackson definatly worked on getting mckenna back (according to hoganstand board he was asked but refused).  Id say miller would go back after xmas if asked but will keoghan want to unsettle the squad??  I'd agree with what ur saying about the kickouts he doesn't vary them enough and this plays into other teams game plan.  When cavan drew with antrim in breffini two yrs ago mccabe blamed miller for cavan's bad performance because he couldn't get near the kickouts cos miller was kicking them 2 far.

BallyhaiseMan

imagine complaining that your goalkeeper is kicking the ball too far  :D
Its called "take a few steps back Dermot"