Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Don't think he could contribute much now apart from frees and Brewster (left) and O'Reilly (right) have those bases covered.
Last year we got to the last twelve, lost very narrowly to Meath this year to reach that stage again, nothing less than what we done with him in the side.
He is around 30 now anyway, is he playing with a club in Dublin again now?

inisceithleann

i thought he was heading back to st. brigid's? i know we have o'reilly and tom brew, but o'reilly doesn't contribute enough from play and tom has struggled with injury. we need strength and depth. rory's only 29, probably the age were most players are at their peak. i know fermanagh have employed little and maguire on the wings but this is too predictable. with rory in team we have another option, especially him in at full forward which is a problem position. as lynchbhoy stated any player who scores 3-9 in the ulster championship is a bit special. what harm would it be to have him back. it might pay off and we'll do no worse than we did this season and i think the next fermanagh manager will take the gamble.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

ExiledGael

These were all the same arguments being touted about in 2005, after doing so well, the two Gallaghers came back and we got knocked out in first round of Championship and qualifiers.
Gallaghers both pissed off, Rory then appeared in Cavan, now he's gone again, I think, too much trouble, not worth it.
A real waste of a talent, would love to see a properly focused Rory Gallagher in the green shirt, but over the years he has led me to believe that person doesn't exist

inisceithleann

ExiledGael we'll just have to agree to disagree on the gallagher issue. but in my opinion, if we're honest, we're going to struggle to win an ulster title with the current panel and what real talent is coming through? there's lads on the panel that are nowhere near county standard. just because he's a player with a poor attitude doesn't mean he should be overlooked, sure every county has their prima donnas. what about geraghty with meath? depsite all his faults as an individual, they took him back  because he's a lethal footballer and a rory gallagher on form is as well.

ExiledGael

Hollow Man

QuoteMaybe Rory will prosper elsewhere and live up to his reputation but he has done nothing but sully it in the last six months, both on and off the field.

This guy was always one that was mentioned as a 'problem player' and a negative influence in the Fermanagh dressing room. Touch of the primadonnas about him and there was one particularly scurrilous rumour about him, before leaving Ernemen the first time, that I wouldn't even mention here, even though my source is quite good. It's noticeable how the team did much better than heretofore under Dom Corrigan(?) the year Rory left. Players nor managers wanted him, all were glad to be shut of him. With the passing of time maybe those feelings have dimmed and some want him back but he's not being given a continued wide berth for no reason.

He has done okay - just okay Dubs tell me - in the SFC in the capital. He was linked with the Dublin panel at one stage remember, until Tommy Lyons blew it out of the water even if Gallagher himself wasn't quoted, which is the norm. Then he arrived in Cavan and despite some grumblings the majority were very willing to give him a chance. He got ample gametime in the blue shirt but singularly and utterly failed to impress and this cannot be down to integration problems alone.
Not having the balls to shoot from 14 yards dead in front of goal, or pulling out of tackles, has nothing to do with not being made feel welcome if indeed that was ever the case. Not turning up for training is hardly a sound way of integrating oneself with a new group in any case, but the best way of all to get over any barriers there might have been was to get out and do the business on the pitch, which he simply and abjectly failed to do.
The mercenary whiff about his leavetaking is entirely in keeping with the reputation he has in Fermanagh and frankly, bad though we are, we have alot of forwards in the county way better than this chap who's afraid to shoot and brings nothing to the team.

I'm sure he's an okay sort of fella lynchbhoy but his intercounty days would appear to be behind him.

Absolutely brilliant post.

shotstopper1

Quote from: inisceithleann on July 26, 2007, 07:42:07 PM
any player who scores 3-9 in the ulster championship is a bit special.

Maybe so but one swallow doesn't make a summer.He played 3 other championship games that year and scored 1-9 in total in the 3.

Quote from: inisceithleann on July 26, 2007, 08:52:35 PM
individual, they took him back  because he's a lethal footballer and a rory gallagher on form is as well.

The difference is ,that it's being a long time since Gallagher has being in form.

As for not being accepted in Cavan, one of the biggest cheers this year in Breffni was when he made his debut in the last minutes of a McKenna Cup game and scored a point.Down through the years Cavan have had many outsiders play for them and fully accepted by the supporters once they pulled on the blue jersey, Gallagher included.I for one don't believe he got anymore criticism on the field of play than any of the other players when they fcuked up.

cavan4ever

Quote from: shotstopper1 on July 27, 2007, 10:29:29 AM

.I for one don't believe he got anymore criticism on the field of play than any of the other players when they fcuked up.

He probably did get more criticism but that was down to his half-hearted attitude which was obvious to everyone.

shotstopper1

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 27, 2007, 11:07:29 AM
Quote from: shotstopper1 on July 27, 2007, 10:29:29 AM

.I for one don't believe he got anymore criticism on the field of play than any of the other players when they fcuked up.

He probably did get more criticism but that was down to his half-hearted attitude which was obvious to everyone.

Maybe , but I was at a right few games this year and on leaving the various grounds people were equally as critical about the form of Mckeever,the full back line, the full forward line , etc., as they were of Gallaghers form.

anglocelt39

In fairness Homer the bould Maniac can have his uses on this board, only betimes mind.

I have a mate down here who is a fanatical follower of Fermanagh's fortunes. When the Rory transfer came through he more or less said to me-you're welcome to him. Bit of a prima donna, bit of a mouth, wants to run the show, not willing to put the effort in etc. Said to myself should fit right into our set up so.

Being serious, looks like Rory's best days have been behind him for a bit too long and he was only ever going to give us more of what we already have enough of-a forward with some bit of ability but not a team player or a target man. Now if he had the makings of a ball winning midfielder or a working full back it might have been a different story.

In summary-right man, wrong time, wrong position and an attitude which we don't seem to need to import. Pity.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

inisceithleann

In fairness lads, i haven't seen anything of rory gallagher this year and i suppose you fellas are in a better position to judge his current form etc. In my defence, i'm thinking back to the good days rory had in a fermanagh jersey, and it'd be great if we could get that player back, but i suppose it looks like we won't. He may have a poor enough attitude but he is a great sportsman. I remember him playing soccer for my own club in enniskillen and watching him play for the North when he was 17. He was head and shoulders above the rest, a real classy centre half. I think he was on the books of celtic and probably could have made it. Maybe the fact that he didn't tells his own tale. But, you never know. Who would have predicted he'd end up playing for Cavan. It's not implausible that he'll play for fermanagh again, whether we think it's worth the hassle or not.

CavanCola

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 26, 2007, 07:32:43 PM
Don't think he could contribute much now apart from frees and Brewster (left) and O'Reilly (right) have those bases covered.
Last year we got to the last twelve, lost very narrowly to Meath this year to reach that stage again, nothing less than what we done with him in the side.
He is around 30 now anyway, is he playing with a club in Dublin again now?

Definitely played for Brigids last weekend in the Dublin SFC.

Cavan SFC: Have a feeling Gowna might put it up to the gaels this weekend? If they don't I can see the Gaels being stopped. ::) Yawn!!

cavanmaniac

SFC:

heard cucus and kingscourt drew, gaels came from 7 behind at ht to draw with gowna 1-8 apiece, crosserlough snatched a 0-7 apiece draw in a dreadful game with castlerahan while mullahoran beat denn out the gate and up the road by about 15 points I think.

CC1

Was at the Kingscourt v Cuchullains game myself... Brilliant game to watch, and definately a game of two halves which funnily enough were dominated by the team kicking against the wind. Kingscourt lost two key players early on and it probably had a bearing on the result at the end. Terry Farrelly dominated the midfield in the second half and was probably the main reason for Cucus comeback from 6 points down at half time. Some terrible defending from both sides however, men allowed to stroll through the defence unchallenged and unmarked. Reminded me of watching Cavan! Very entertaining match, Philip Smith and Sean og Gargan being the two main main men for Kingscourt and Terry Farrelly for Cuchullains.

We won on Saturday ourselves, scraping through with a one point win over Killeshandra. Probably should have had alot more scores on the board with the amount of possession we had in Killeshandra's third of the pitch, but being without Paddy Mac, Ollie and Shane Mac in the full forward line I suppose it would have been expected. Killeshandra are a good footballing team and they play the ball well. Their movement off the ball is very good but they seem to be missing something to make them click in my opinion... Some of the hits going in in the last ten minutes of the game were unreal. Some sore lads walking about after the game!
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

The Bottom Brick

I'd say the Gaels will beat Gowna in the replay and go on to walk it, although Mullahoran seem to be coming right at the right time...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!