Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 05, 2013, 01:44:07 PM
QuoteJust to play devil's advocate, anyone concerned that Givney is not all he's made out to be? He seems to go missing when the chips are down, but maybe I am being harsh.

I think it will be a matter of getting more experience.  He is on a par with Aiden O'Shea.  He'll be good.

How many of that DIT team have gone on to play well for their County team?

He is a year older then Aidan O'Shea. So he has experience, been involved with the Cavan team  since 09. Started off well yesterday and drifted out, although Johnny Buckley and Moran are quality players. He had a decent championship, but maybe more could have come from him.

There was 3 involved with DIT this year, Givney, Martin Reilly and Ross Sheridan. Sheridan was called into the Senior panel but dislocated his shoulder in a club and missed the Junior Semi against Longford, he has been out since.

tommysmith

I think as more of the U-21 lads start progressing Givney will be pushed further down the pecking order. 

Itchy

Poor stuff from us yesterday but a good year. The line was far too slow to make changes, I would have subbed 2 players after 15 minutes. Anyway a good year so roll on next yr.

Ye are way out on givney lads. He was given ball winning responsibility ahead of o Shea for DIT this year. He is athletic. His problem is his club are playing at a poor level. There is no chance he will drop down the pecking order. As for Greg McGovern, he is big and strong but I don't see an athlete yet and so long way to go before he is in senior team.

rodney trotter

I'm aware that he was the attacking midfield player and O Shea was the defensive player that isn't the point. Playing at a higher level at club level shouldn't matter, when Cork won the All Ireland in 2010, the a bulk of the team was made up from players playing intermediate and Junior Club football in Cork..

Mrs mills

Was at the game and cavan appeared overawed. Calls made for impossible passes by forwards and, worse still, futile attempts by others to try and make the passes. When good footballers review some of the stuff they did on and off the ball (when cavan had the ball), they will cringe. It's a direct result of being affected by the enormity of the occasion and perhaps the pitch too.
Eugene keating was one of the guilty parties calling for impossible passes.

Itchy

What is the point Rodney? All I'm saying is that the post mortem on givney is premature. Also, I'm sure Martin Dunne was just frustrated yesterday. I wouldn't read too much into it, I'm sure Terry will have a quiet word. Most disappointing player yesterday was Keating. Some of the shots and passes he was at were just crazy.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on August 05, 2013, 02:37:46 PM
Poor stuff from us yesterday but a good year. The line was far too slow to make changes, I would have subbed 2 players after 15 minutes. Anyway a good year so roll on next yr.

Ye are way out on givney lads. He was given ball winning responsibility ahead of o Shea for DIT this year. He is athletic. His problem is his club are playing at a poor level. There is no chance he will drop down the pecking order. As for Greg McGovern, he is big and strong but I don't see an athlete yet and so long way to go before he is in senior team.

There is a reason Givney is the 3rd choice midfielder lads. No good being an athlete when you can't give a simple pass. Himself and Keating are similar in that both appear to have a lot of raw talent but their composure is non existent. Both were the two biggest culprits for wasteful Cavan play yesterday. Both need to drastically improve the choices they make, if they don't their places on the team need to be reconsidered.

tommysmith

Quote from: Westside on August 05, 2013, 02:54:08 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 05, 2013, 02:37:46 PM

There is a reason Givney is the 3rd choice midfielder lads. No good being an athlete when you can't give a simple pass. Himself and Keating are similar in that both appear to have a lot of raw talent but their composure is non existent. Both were the two biggest culprits for wasteful Cavan play yesterday. Both need to drastically improve the choices they make, if they don't their places on the team need to be reconsidered.

This is so true.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Itchy on August 05, 2013, 02:49:25 PM
What is the point Rodney? All I'm saying is that the post mortem on givney is premature. Also, I'm sure Martin Dunne was just frustrated yesterday. I wouldn't read too much into it, I'm sure Terry will have a quiet word. Most disappointing player yesterday was Keating. Some of the shots and passes he was at were just crazy.

Basically what Westside said, Givney had a excellent Sigerson Cup and Ryan Cup. Played well with Ulster, but some of the simple skills are a big let down.

Hopefully next year we might see the best of him.

Itchy

What Givney lacks is composure. That's not a skill but it can come with experience. To get this experience he needs to be playing at a higher level. As for 3rd choice midfielder comment, you think Thomas corr has better skill than Givney. He doesn't , it just we don't ask him to do the fielding, passing etc. Personally I think some of these comments are stupid, the guy was selected as one of 2 top midfielders in Ulster and now he's in danger if not being good enough to play for Cavan!

Itchy

U16s beat Wicklow 2.15 to 1.11 and are into Gerry Reilly Tournament final.

rodney trotter

How can he play at a higher level, Switch clubs? Mountnugent are playing in the Intermediate Championship this year, that's higher then where they were playing last year.  No disrespect to Junior. Nobody said he wasn't good enough, we are just giving an analysis on his form this year in the championship for Cavan.

Itchy

By playing on an amalgamated team in senior perhaps and by Cavan getting out of Div 3.

rodney trotter

Don't think amalgamations are ever going to happen after the way it was dealt with last year.

Westside

I'll qualify what I said above.. I don't want to be the one putting the boot into players after the game. There is no question surrounding the effort and willingness to work for Givney and Keating, and given the re-emergence of Mackey and Rory Dunne this year we should be very careful about writing off players too quickly. The template is there for both to be very good players and with the right coaching and a bit more experience and maturity hopefully both can improve the weaknesses in their games. But if they don't show the required improvement other options should be tried.

It's irrelevant whether he's picked at midfield for Ulster in a mickey mouse competition, we should be judging him solely on his performances for Cavan. I'm not saying he's not good enough to play for Cavan, his athleticism and ability aren't in question. It's his decision making, composure and amount of mistakes he makes that are letting him down.