Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

The hype is nothing like 97 which went on for three weeks between winning Ulster and going up to Croker, it's a one week wonder this time with lads who maybe are quite well equipped for this sort of thing with all the development panel and under 21 stuff. Personally think Monaghan are sitting ducks for an ambush by Tyrone because their situation with winning Ulster and bringing the Anglo Celt cup on a tour of the county sounds like our 97 situation. Not ideal preparation.

Lads on the telly tonight had it down to a T I think, Kerry are sitting back taking the wider picture in and liking what they see, Not a word of being Sam contenders and facing a Q Final in which they will fancy their chances
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Westside

Barry Reilly was with the team in Derry and I think in Croker. Was good to see Gearoid was there with the team on Saturday (what we'd give to have him lining out on Sunday). Saw Dermot Sheridan floating around the line too.

anglocelt39

Barry Reilly has been done down by injury for the past several weeks I hear. One of many lads who should be pushing for a start next year if he gets injury free. I'm also glad to hear of a fella like Dermot Sheridan knocking around. There's any number of lads aged 25 and upwards in the county who should be looking at what Mackey and Flanagan have done so far this year and I'd have him as one of them. Anyway that's for another day when this current run comes to an end, whenever that may be.

rodney trotter

Sheridan was named in the Original panel before Christmas but has been plagued with Injuries, mainly groin. No doubt if was fit he would have featured during the year, he had a great year last year at Club level.

Swadman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 01, 2013, 09:50:14 PM
I find it hard to enjoy, I'm too frigging nervous myself. The only enjoyment I get from football is between when the final whistle is blown on a win and before the draw for the next round is made! I should take up something less stressful.
Thought I'd share this to add to your nervousness

HoganStand Interview with Stephen King http://fb.me/Ksuqg7l7

CavanCola

I think whoever adapts to the conditions best will come out on top. The croke park sod gets very slippery when it's wet and the current forecast for Sunday is for plenty of rain. We just need a sh1ty goal or two!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Swadman on August 02, 2013, 03:09:01 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 01, 2013, 09:50:14 PM
I find it hard to enjoy, I'm too frigging nervous myself. The only enjoyment I get from football is between when the final whistle is blown on a win and before the draw for the next round is made! I should take up something less stressful.
Thought I'd share this to add to your nervousness

HoganStand Interview with Stephen King http://fb.me/Ksuqg7l7

Thanks!

Itchy

Team named. Same as last day except Mcloughlin in for McEnroe.

mylestheslasher

Well the consensus in the media is a Kerry win and although most of them are trying to be polite to Cavan I think they expect us to get hammered out of Croke park. Problem is none of them have given a good reason why they think this. I've heard them on about he Div 1 vrs Div 3 but if that were true surely we would see some Div 2 teams in the mix? Kerry did play most of Div 1 without their Dr Crokes players but likewise Cavan played Div 3 without many of their U21's - hence the average results both teams had.

The other reason being given is just that Kerry are Kerry and Cavan have come from nowhere. For sure Kerry have quality players but maybe Cavan do too, just because they are too young to have 5/6 years experience does not make them lesser footballers? This is just garbage and it implies that Cavan are putting 15 mere mortals on the field to play 15 God like beings from Kerry.

I'm not trying to say Kerry are not a very good team but I bet if Armagh or Derry were playing them on Sunday there would be a totally different slant - many of these commentators don't know anything about us and are using lazy journalism to fill some pages. It reminds me of Colm O Rourke slagging of Dooher and claiming he wasnt a good enough footballer, years later him playing or not playing was the difference between a win and a loss to the same expert.

Now the best I have read is todays Times were our Former manager Tommy Carr talks about products of our U21 teams and lists Martin Dunne as an example! He then goes on to say we have some older heads on the team like Mossy Corr and Killian Clarke!! Tommy clearly is as shite a journalist as he was a manager.

Well I think Cavan have a fighting chance, 5/1 is a crazy price. We need to know our opponents but we should not fear them. They've been beaten before and will be beaten again, there is nothing ridiculous in the possibility that we could beat them on Sunday. One thing that everyone has missed is that Cavan have some positives. We have the top scorer in the championship. We have a system which every player knows and which they have all played through underage and we know this system is not one Kerry have played well against. We have youth and we have no pressure. I hope our players ignore all this crap been written in the papers as the most important thing we need is belief.

comeysfield

We will have a good day, no ifs no buts just go on out and beat them. A bit surprised that McDermott is not in.

cavanmaniac

+1
Couldn't agree more Myles those are my thoughts exactly. A lot of the supposed analysis of this game is based around the history and mythology of the Kerry jersey, without full cognizance of the facts, some of which you listed above. In a way I am delighted with all this off hand dismissing of Cavan it just makes it harder for them and easier for us. I know heart and soul we will give Kerry a right rattle and the closer the game gets the more positive I get.

They have one good half under their belts against a spluttering Cork team to justify all this loose talk about "it's not whether or not they'll win but by how much". Walk into them lads and let's see where we are at the long whistle.

Westside

Agree about the lazy journalism. See the view of the Kerry Player (O'Sullivan?) In the Celt. Said that Mossy Corr is having a great year in defence.

I'm gone all bi-polar about this game. Convinced myself yesterday that we were going to put in a massive performance and win. Today I'm wondering if we can keep the defeat to single figures.

Itchy

Hoganstand had Mossy Corr on their team if the week at corner back. It doesn't get much lazier than that, just because he wore no 2! We could win and we could get hammered, a lot depends on how we approach it. Do we really belief at the bottom of out guts we can win or are we just going up to have a go.

anglocelt39

Well anybody getting worried that a few oul yokes on Youtube or Twitter would get players losing the run of themselves need relax. Times this morning suggests we will barely keep the ball kicked out to Kerry, Bernard Flynn in the Mirror reckons we will do well to keep it to six points. The reason why Kerry deserve to be rampaging hot favourites tomorrow is a lot more to do with some present facts that ancient mythology. There are six of this years division 1 teams in the last 8 which tends to bear out what a lot of sensible analysts have been saying all year that there is a significant gap between the perceived "top 6" and the rest. Time will tell but am very hopeful our lads will give it a right rattle.

Lazy journalism indeed. Cavan apparently have their own bit if physical presence in the likes of Mossy Corr and, wait for it, Ronan Flanagan.

Tommy Carr manages to piss me off a fair bit but one fair point that he made is that it will be very interesting to see where we are this time next year. But sure we will worry about that later.

anglocelt39

Correction Flynn reckons we will do well to keep it to TEN points.