Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swadman

Quote from: Westside on July 16, 2013, 07:51:44 PM
I see Eoin Bradley tweeted today "im so glad cavan arent4 turnning up on sat.well u would think dat by al the crap talked.#toughgame#notthateasy".. Not hugely convincing but we can't be counting on Derry taking us lightly!

Bradley nor Derry will be taking Cavan lightly. Both teams will be hugely aware of the prize that awaits and what it will take to get it. Derry will be even tougher, physically, than Monaghan and I felt that we were "bullied" a little in Clones. Cavan can expect their toughest game of the year but if they keep the head and stick to the plan(s) then we could look forward to finishing the county championships in November !!! 

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on July 16, 2013, 07:51:44 PM
Derry have the most dangerous array of forwards we will have faced this year. Our system is there to reduce one on one situations but in terms of man to man marking who do people think will pick up Bradley Kielt and Bell? Bradley will take the most watching, but I don't think it's a job for McLoughlin, he would be completely out muscled. McEnroe could be a better option.

I see Eoin Bradley tweeted today "im so glad cavan arent4 turnning up on sat.well u would think dat by al the crap talked.#toughgame#notthateasy".. Not hugely convincing but we can't be counting on Derry taking us lightly!

I'd be surprised if we beat Derry on Saturday, and I firmly believe our season is a success whether we do or not, but I disagree with people saying that this is the real test of progress, anyone who can't see the progress is blind or has had their heads buried in the sand for the last 5 years. What I do think will be interesting is how the team and management will be react if we go behind by 4+ points (which I suspect we will) Will we come out of ourselves a bit more?

I think people are talking about the opposition, of course progress has been made. Its about seeing how Cavan will fare out against better quality opposition,
Derry are playing Division 1 Football next year and are a better side then anything Cavan will have faced so far.

Cavan won't fear Derry, and are being written off by most in the media, but that won't bother the team or management. Cavan have made huge progress since the Kildare hammering last year - with the recalled players and the younger players having a championship season under their belts.

The Brick

Did i hear Cian Mackey has picked up an injury?

Itchy

Being a ginger ninja like me I believe he is suffering from super sunburn.

tommysmith

Quote from: The Brick on July 18, 2013, 05:24:49 PM

Why you asking here you should know what you hear.

anglocelt39

Quote from: tommysmith on July 18, 2013, 05:50:51 PM

What have you heard Tommy? Is Dermot McCabe likely to line out?? ;)
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

tommysmith

Quote from: anglocelt39 on July 18, 2013, 06:57:37 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on July 18, 2013, 05:50:51 PM

What have you heard Tommy? Is Dermot McCabe likely to line out?? ;)
haha  :-\

The Brick

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Brick on July 19, 2013, 03:16:57 PM
So the word about is..

Well word is that Michael Duffy has suspended Anthony Forde so he will play no part in the match (he was set to be man marking Eoin Bradley). Jason Reilly has been recalled because he likes playing against Derry and Larry is also back as means to hop the ball 3 times in a row and get away with it. Cian Mackey is out with blisters from running too fast. Givney jumped too high against Fermanagh and there is a race against time to pull him back down from the stratosphere.

Conor Gilsenan has been doing a lot of speed training this week so watch out.

Swadman

Well word is that Michael Duffy has suspended Anthony Forde so he will play no part in the match (he was set to be man marking Eoin Bradley). Jason Reilly has been recalled because he likes playing against Derry and Larry is also back as means to hop the ball 3 times in a row and get away with it. Cian Mackey is out with blisters from running too fast. Givney jumped too high against Fermanagh and there is a race against time to pull him back down from the stratosphere.

I blame the heat  8) ;D

Itchy

Same team named to start that was named last week except o Mara in for gilsenan

mylestheslasher

O Meara has the best kick out in terms of accuracy and he will be able to pick out the short ones too. We do lose the ability to kick the 45's over the bar though. Good luck to  the lads tomorrow.

The Brick

Looks like that speed work gilsenan has been doing hasn't been too beneficial for him lol

mylestheslasher

Well what a day and what a game. Without doubt the best display by a Cavan team since '97 final. Time and time again Derry asked the questions and our young lads kept giving them the answer. No more will Cavan lie down and accept the heart breaking defeat after a brave battle. There were so many heroes on that field today its hard to know where to start. Givney was lording the midfield until he got injured no matter young McVitty comes on and Argue and do their bit. Then Martin Reilly hits a purple patch with some brilliant scores and selfless work rate, Flanagans bust a gut to get back and make the tackles and the blocks. In extra time we had Mckeever using all his experience and setting up the goal - he played like a man possessed - that is how you react to not starting matches. In the end it was our players that asked the questions of Derry and in extra time Derry ran out of answers. I doubt there will be many better games of ball this summer and it was an absolute privilege to be there to watch it. Well done to heroes in blue!

Westside

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 20, 2013, 11:13:32 PM
Well what a day and what a game. Without doubt the best display by a Cavan team since '97 final. Time and time again Derry asked the questions and our young lads kept giving them the answer. No more will Cavan lie down and accept the heart breaking defeat after a brave battle. There were so many heroes on that field today its hard to know where to start. Givney was lording the midfield until he got injured no matter young McVitty comes on and Argue and do their bit. Then Martin Reilly hits a purple patch with some brilliant scores and selfless work rate, Flanagans bust a gut to get back and make the tackles and the blocks. In extra time we had Mckeever using all his experience and setting up the goal - he played like a man possessed - that is how you react to not starting matches. In the end it was our players that asked the questions of Derry and in extra time Derry ran out of answers. I doubt there will be many better games of ball this summer and it was an absolute privilege to be there to watch it. Well done to heroes in blue!

McVeety and Argue both with two points, fantastic to see. Did Givney come back on and make a huge catch at the end? I have a feeling I saw a tweet to that effect in the rush towards the end.
At the end of the game we were playing without Clarke, Givney, Dunne, Mackey, McDermott, McLoughlin. That's 6 of our starting team, and we still dug it out. That's a panel, that's spirit.

We'll enjoy the after game glow. Can't wait for The Sunday Game. They might actually sit up and give us some credit now. They can't attribute the win to the opposition tactics, moan about the quality of football, focus solely on any off the ball rows. And if they do decide to talk about penalties not awarded or whatever else, then let them at it. This is our night and we'll enjoy it.

We look to London (almost certainly) Crucial nobody takes them for granted even slightly. No doubt Terry will have them well prepared mentally.