Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

i wouldn't use boards.ie very much but i went on to see what was said about the whole situation.
The claim is that one of Cootehills talented young forwards was racially abused by a Lacken player.
The name of the Cootehill player is available over there,but at this stage it is probably better to leave names out of it until we hear more. Absolutely disgusting antics,if it is true.Rodney and Celt Man will know more.

tommysmith

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 15, 2012, 02:54:36 PM
i wouldn't use boards.ie very much but i went on to see what was said about the whole situation.
The claim is that one of Cootehills talented young forwards was racially abused by a Lacken player.
The name of the Cootehill player is available over there,but at this stage it is probably better to leave names out of it until we hear more. Absolutely disgusting antics,if it is true.Rodney and Celt Man will know more.

The lad that started the thread seem to be chopping and changing his story as he is quizzed on it.

I cant see any name there can you PM me please BHman.

boojangles

Sorry I'm only catching up now. Peter Donnelly is a brilliant addition to the U-21 set-up. In 2010 he gave us (Drumalee) a certain impetus just at the right time of the knock out stages of the championship and we never looked back that year. He demands an intensity and maximum effort from everybody and I found him a joy to train with. He won a Senior championship with his own club Coalisland the same year and is still playing AFAIK.

Congratulations to Lacken and Laragh at the weekend. 2 hard fought wins. Commiserations to Mountnugent and Cootehill. Cootehill were a joy to watch playing fast, running football and I'm sure they will be back if they can keep the bones of that team together.
Regarding the alleged racist abuse at the weekend. I have heard some bits and pieces and if it is true I hope that the perpetrator is severely punished. No room for anything like this in sport.
It is very sad that a reported isolated incident can take away from what should be a time of celebration out round Ballintemple.

rodney trotter

I knew nothing about the racist story till now. Its totally out of order if its true. Some incidents in the drawn game were uncalled for, but something like that is totally out of order, if its apparently true.

rodney trotter

Not defending whatever player was suppose to have said these racist remarks, But its 3 days since the game and I heard nothing mentioned about this claim, and if the player did report it to the ref, then why didn't the ref take action or whatever? Hearsay can lead to a lot of things,..

Itchy

Well done to lacken winning their Ulster intermediate match today 0-7 to 1-3. Can Mullahoran create a shock now? Paul Brady not starting.

Westside

Sounds like Mullahorn are well under the cosh here. 4 down after 15 minutes.

Itchy

Another embarrassing defeat in Ulster shows just how far off the required standard Cavan club football is.

tommysmith

Clubs may be allowed too apply for senior status
24 October 2012

http://hoganstand.com/cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179776

Relegated senior clubs may yet be allowed to compete in the top flight of the championship in 2013.

Seven clubs have been demoted to the intermediate grade in a restructuring of the championships, but most of these are thought to be unhappy about the move.

If clubs did not finish in the top eight of Division 1, they were automatically relegated, despite how far they progressed in the championship.

For example, the likes of Killygarry, who defeated Cavan Gaels in the quarterfinal and were narrow losers to eventual champions Mullahoran in the semi final will be in the intermediate grade next year, due to the league standing.

However, county board chairman Tom Reilly admits that there may be some 'tweaking' done to the new structure with teams set to amalgamate from the intermediate and junior grades to play in the senior championship, while others could force their way back into the top flight on appeal.

If Cavan County Board dont have the balls to implement their own development plan there is not much hope of things improving going forward.  I was not fully in favour of this idea from the start but once things have gone this far they should be implementing it. 

I will take a guess that a few clubs have got together and have decided that if they are not reinstated that they will put forward a motion to remove the current county board.

boojangles

Quote from: tommysmith on October 24, 2012, 11:32:32 AM
Clubs may be allowed too apply for senior status
24 October 2012

http://hoganstand.com/cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179776

Relegated senior clubs may yet be allowed to compete in the top flight of the championship in 2013.

Seven clubs have been demoted to the intermediate grade in a restructuring of the championships, but most of these are thought to be unhappy about the move.

If clubs did not finish in the top eight of Division 1, they were automatically relegated, despite how far they progressed in the championship.

For example, the likes of Killygarry, who defeated Cavan Gaels in the quarterfinal and were narrow losers to eventual champions Mullahoran in the semi final will be in the intermediate grade next year, due to the league standing.

However, county board chairman Tom Reilly admits that there may be some 'tweaking' done to the new structure with teams set to amalgamate from the intermediate and junior grades to play in the senior championship, while others could force their way back into the top flight on appeal.

If Cavan County Board dont have the balls to implement their own development plan there is not much hope of things improving going forward.  I was not fully in favour of this idea from the start but once things have gone this far they should be implementing it. 

I will take a guess that a few clubs have got together and have decided that if they are not reinstated that they will put forward a motion to remove the current county board.

There has always been a process where a club could apply to play Senior Championship I believe. It just has to be ratified by the clubs . I'm not sure what Tom Reilly is referring to though regarding a club appealling their relegation.
Might we see a Division 1A and 1B next year?

tommysmith

7 clubs got relegated so i would imagine they will all stay up or none of them will.

EDIT*  i think they may still be relegated in the league but allow play senior championship, he is as clear as muck.

rodney trotter

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=179856

Fair play to David Givney for being Selected for the Ulster team to play Donegal, and Gearoid Mckiernan also on the panel.

Pragmatist

I am now convinced that the naysayers have been right all along. For years I tried to promote the idea that we can improve players' decision-making on and off the ball, their movement off the ball, their positional sense, their timing of runs and their abilities to adapt to different game plans and attacking options. The truth is that for 90% of players we cannot!!
They bring with them their own inbuilt cerebral limitations for these skills and we can labour for as long as we want and convince ourselves we see glimmers of hope, but the fact is that they will revert to type more often than not.
Just get them as fit as possible, as well-conditioned as possible and as technically proficient as possible and forget the rest.

PhilsJemmysField

ANybody see any of the U21 games round the weekend

rodney trotter

Newtown had a comfortable win against Eire og, cootehill/drumgoon. Connor Finnegan was very good and scored 2-3, set up another goal. He was disapointing in the intermediate final's.. Stood out yesterday. Barry Doyle was very good. Tom Hayes had a brillant first half, scoring 1-2, but probaly didn't get enough support, Enda Hessin was decent but missed a lot. Got on a lot of ball and was always lively just his shooting let him down. he has lots of ability and should make the u21 panel next year.

Newtown started the second half well, goals from Finnegan and Jack Brady, made it look like it  was going to be a hammering. Eire Og dominated the last 15 minutes but the game was well over at that stage. Connor Moynagh came on at half time but had to off 10/15 minutes into the second half with a shoulder injury..