Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

anything under 5'9 is small mannix,  :D i dodged that one  :D!!!You can get away with a few small forwards for sure,But not too many small backs,thats my opinion in modern day intercounty football
the Meath team is monstorous no doubt,not one member down the central positions under 6'2 and 14 stone...
No other intercounty team could compare in terms of height and weight id say,yet it didnt get them past Dublin.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 29, 2007, 08:10:46 PM
anything under 5'9 is small mannix,  :D i dodged that one  :D!!!You can get away with a few small forwards for sure,But not too many small backs,thats my opinion in modern day intercounty football
the Meath team is monstorous no doubt,not one member down the central positions under 6'2 and 14 stone...
No other intercounty team could compare in terms of height and weight id say,yet it didnt get them past Dublin.

Meath are reverting back to their 'core' setup of old at the moment alright but aother huge team has to be Cork. Canty, Cussen, Kavanagh, Nicholas Murphy and a whole lot of other strapping lads. And with the enmity between the sides from Billy Morgan v Sean Boylan era, there'd be almighty walloping if these sides managed to meet in the championship this year. And then had to play Armagh or something. Ouch!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 30, 2007, 01:15:31 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 29, 2007, 08:10:46 PM

Meath are reverting back to their 'core' setup of old at the moment alright but aother huge team has to be Cork. Canty, Cussen, Kavanagh, Nicholas Murphy and a whole lot of other strapping lads. And with the enmity between the sides from Billy Morgan v Sean Boylan era, there'd be almighty walloping if these sides managed to meet in the championship this year. And then had to play Armagh or something. Ouch!

Yeh - I see Meath are reverting back to their "core" alright, thuggery (see Geraghty booted of panel thread). Brings a tear to the eye ;)

cavanmaniac

Poor old Golden Graham, eh? Great footballer but never lost his uncanny knack for pissing on his own chips.

Hollow Man

Hits the nail bang on the head!!!

http://www.cavanecho.com/pdf/pages/cav030.pdf

Although I still think we'll get a result this weekend (a positive result would be getting within 3/4 of Mayo). Wonder what the handicap is?

mylestheslasher

Hollow man - meant to post that myself but forgot. It is a good piece and gives an insite into McElhennons opinions on why it didn't happen for him at Cavan - which until now have not been in the public arena. It is good to have some critical journalism in Cavan for a change.

The thread is gone very quiet here. Any of ye joining me in Castlebar on Saturday? I could be going mad but I reckon we have a chance as I think Mayo will almost certainly go into the game over confident - christ they went into the AI final last yr against kerry over confident if you ask me. So for me it is going to be Cavan by 2 points or Mayo by 10 points - I think which way it goes will be clear after 10 minutes of the match.

cavanmaniac

Very good article, shame it's not a bit longer because if anything it could go further. Really refreshing to see some genuine analysis and critique in Cavan GAA media, long may it continue.

It'd be a cold day in hell before the see-no-evil-hear-no-evil Anglo Celt would produce anything like that.

And actually, fair play to McElkennon for not putting a tooth in it as well. The players have hid behind the supposed inadequacies of various managers and have largely got away with swinging the lead themselves. I'd hope the jettisoning of the Yankee day trippers mark the start of a no bullshit policy with players but I won't hold my breath.

BallyhaiseMan

Here lads
i think "The Bottom Line" is one of us on here or he gets his stuff from us  :D
Not for the first time hes echoing  ;) the thoughts of all of us.

cavanmaniac

Sigh, cover blown, so alright then, it's me.... ;D

I'm actually Eamon Gaffney in disguise and the Echo column is a covert side operation where I give vent to the opinions that are just TOO DAMN HOT for the Celt!

(Joking)

shotstopper1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 04, 2007, 12:09:06 PM
Here lads
i think "The Bottom Line" is one of us on here or he gets his stuff from us  :D
Not for the first time hes echoing  ;) the thoughts of all of us.

I'd say for "Bottom Line" read "Bottom Brick", similarity in the names,also from the same club.I may be wrong but what the hell, fair play to him for telling it like he sees it, and not as how the county board would like him to see it.

cavan4ever

CROABH CHOMÓRTAS 2007

Thursday, 26th July 2007 @ 8pm
Hotel Kilmore Intermediate Championship
Cootehill V Redhills
Venue:  Kingspan Breffni Park

Friday, 27th July 2007 @ 8pm
Hotel Kilmore Senior Championship
Drumalee V Ramor
Venue:  Lavey

Ballinagh V Bailieboro
Venue:  Stradone
Drung V Drumlane

Hotel Kilmore Junior Championship
Arva V Maghera
Venue:  Ballymachugh
Butlersbridge V Mountnugent
Venue:  Killygarry

Saturday, 28th July 2007 @ 7.30pm
Knockbride V Killygarry

Ballymachugh V Lavey
Venue:  Crosserlough

Saturday, 28th July 2007 @ 6pm
Shercock V Killeshandra
Venue: Kingspan Breffni Park

Munterconnacht V Templeport
Venue:  Lacken
Corlough V Cornafean
Venue:  Kildallon

Sunday, 29th July 2007 @ 12.30pm
Lacken V Belturbet
Venue:  Cornafean

Sunday, 29th July 2007 @ 2.15pm
Mullahoran V Denn

Sunday, 29th July 2007 @ 3pm
Kingscourt V Cuchullains
Venue:  Bailieboro

Sunday, 29th July 2007 @ 3.45pm
Castlerahan V Crosserlough

Sunday, 29th July 2007 @ 7.30pm
Gowna V Cavan Gaels

Drumgoon V Kill
Venue:  Cootehill
Ballyhaise V Swadlinbar
Venue:  Drumlane

Laragh V Killinkere
Venue:  Drumalee

Kildallon V Shannon Gaels (Sunday 3pm)
Venue:  Templeport

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 04, 2007, 04:19:22 PM
CROABH CHOMÓRTAS 2007

Thursday, 26th July 2007 @ 8pm
Cootehill V Redhills

Drumalee V Ramor
Venue:  Lavey

Ballinagh V Bailieboro
Venue:  Stradone
Drung V Drumlane

Arva V Maghera
Venue:  Ballymachugh
Butlersbridge V Mountnugent
Venue:  Killygarry

Knockbride V Killygarry

Ballymachugh V Lavey
Venue:  Crosserlough

Saturday, 28th July 2007 @ 6pm
Shercock V Killeshandra
Venue: Kingspan Breffni Park

Munterconnacht V Templeport
Venue:  Lacken
Corlough V Cornafean
Venue:  Kildallon

Sunday, 29th July 2007 @ 12.30pm
Lacken V Belturbet
Venue:  Cornafean

Sunday, 29th July 2007 @ 2.15pm
Mullahoran V Denn

Kingscourt V Cuchullains
Venue:  Bailieboro

Sunday, 29th July 2007 @ 3.45pm
Castlerahan V Crosserlough

Sunday, 29th July 2007 @ 7.30pm
Gowna V Cavan Gaels

Drumgoon V Kill
Venue:  Cootehill
Ballyhaise V Swadlinbar
Venue:  Drumlane

Laragh V Killinkere
Venue:  Drumalee

Kildallon V Shannon Gaels (Sunday 3pm)
Venue:  Templeport

right what shall i attend that weekend

Thursday Cootehill,Redhills

Friday
Drung V dRUMLANE

Saturday
shercock/Killeshandra

Knockbride.Kilygarry double header in Breffini

Sunday

Playing against Swad in Drumlane at 3

will go and see Gowna/Gaels game

jaysus il be fair and broke after that weekend.

cavan4ever

jaysus il be fair and broke after that weekend

i do have a card from 2006 that the club referee gave me it's great for championship time  ;D

cavan4ever

Seen this on Hoganstand the last bit is good.

Idont think we have a half decent full back in the county.We havent had on since Damien O Reilly and before that Dermot Dalton in the mid 70s.Successive Team Managers dont seem to want to address the problem.Its allways left to the last minute.Itake your point about the 6ft+ Mayo full forward.that seems to be the trend this year as Cork and Kerry showed last Sunday.Kick the high ball into the tall full forward and he wins it and is able to take his score or he lays it off.Worked well last Sunday.Even GCanty of Cork was made look ordinary at times and he is one of the better full backs.Maybe if Mayo use this tactic on Saturday putting McCabe in there even for a short space of time i.e. Cavan playing against the wind would be an option.Iknow he is needed elsewhere but we dont have anyone else to contest a high ball.maybe N Walsh?We need a clean catcher in the square to ease the treat of the high ball.
RICHIE , london , 05/07/2007 at 12:04

That would be a night mare  but i think were safe enough what we have isn't great but no point in making things worse .

shotstopper1

Cavan v Mayo
J Reilly; M Hannon, D Sheridan, K Fannin; R Flanagan, J Crowe, M Reilly; D McCabe, N Walsh; R Cullivan, A Forde, M McKeever; J O'Reilly, S Brady, G Pearson.