Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breffni_Yank

Any word on a team? From what looks to be our panel at the minute I would like to see something like this:

I'd like to see something like this.

James Reilly
Oisin Minnagh
Sean McCormack
Damien Barkey
Mark McKeever
Padraig Reilly
John McCutcheon
David Givney
Gearoid McKiernan
Niall Smith
Eugene Keating
Ronan Flanagan
Kevin Meehan
Niall McDermott
Jack Brady

tommysmith

Jack Brady wont be involved as he is with U-21's.

Westside

James Reilly
Damien Barkey, Sean McCormack, Ronan Flanagan,
    Dane O'Dowd, Padraic O'Reilly, Barry Waters,
            David Givney, Gearoid McKiernan,
    Niall Smith, Niall McDermott, Stephen Jordan,
Brendan Fitzpatrick, Eugene Keating, Raymond Galligan.

This is the team. Surprises would be Flanagan at corner back and Bud starting I suppose.

rodney trotter

I'm not that surprised bud is starting tbh, i think he is a quality player and will get more chances this year with no Johnston around. Thought Mckeeveer would have been ahead of Jordan at wing forward. Decent enough team with what is available.

Westside

I would have thought Dunne would have played himself into that Corner Forward spot.. But perhaps Val doesn't want to rush him. Bud brings good pace.

Flanagan at corner back is a strange one though.

BallyhaiseMan

4-09 to 1-13 to Wexford

Listened to it on Northern Sound,sounded like Wexford ran straight through our backline at will.
We have serious problems in the backline,Hopefully some of the boards posters were there and can tell us what exactly the problem is.

mylestheslasher

Wasn't able to go but I heard we were 9 points down and got back to within 1 point and had an extra man but let Wexford of the hook as they got another 1-2 after that. Disappointing result, 1-13 should be enough to win a match but letting in 4 goals you are never going to win. Hopefully these back positions can be sorted out quickly and we can beat Longford next Saturday.

BallyhaiseMan

It was 3-06 to 1-11 and Wexford 1 man down,with about 10 minutes left,but Eric Bradley scored a goal and Brosnan scored a great free from right on the sideline.
Graeme Molloy seemingly at a great game at full back for Wexford.
Wexford crowded midfield big time,with Paddy Byrne???? operating as a 3rd midfielder and causing Cavan great damage in the first half.

anglocelt39

first 15 minutes was like deja vu all over again. Cleaned out at midfield both to direct fielding and being beaten to every break, 3-2 to 0-4 down at that stage. Really came good in the last 10 minutes of the first half and went in two points down. went to sleep at the start of the second half in a carbon copy of first 20 minutes of the first half and were 6 points down. Awarded a penalty for a foul on McDermott and a Wexford sending off for a second yellow. Good effort from Galligan deflected over the bar. Really well worked goal finished by McKiernan and we were a point behind, a man up and the game was there to be won. Another Wexford goal and game over.

Positives: There will be worse teams play then Wexford this year, they are favourites to go up and were at full strength, most of the Wexford people around me would have agreed that it was a nip and tuck affair and the result flattered them a bit. Good performances from McKiernan, Smith, Keating an Fitzpatrick. Keating knows how to put himself about, spent a lot of time out the park. He was subbed with 5 minutes to go, might have been for his own good.......would like to see Fitzpatrick get an extended run/chance during the league, showed well, worked hard distributed ok and took one good score.

Negatives: Miller needs a wake up call. At fault totally for one of the goals, very casual in possession and nearly got us into trouble at least twice in the first half. started to vary his kickouts in the second half but a bit late in the day. Conceding 4 goals tells it's own story and we need to get defending sorted out fast. Suppose Minagh would be most peoples candidates for a position in the full back line he wasn't around today. Not sure what the situation is with the Hayes lad from UCD maybe he won't commit but he seems to have made the corner back position his own with UCD for the last two years. We had lads on the panel today who aren't getting Sigerson games for their colleges so what to make of it all, who knows. Barkey, O'Dowd and Podge were ok in spurts today but were up against it. Ronan Flanagan followed his man out the park and struggled a fair bit.

Ray Galligan good from frees but wouldn't add a huge amount inside from what i saw today. McDernott good and strong but might struggle a bit against better teams who cop on to him being a bit one sided.

Fannin and McCutcheon came on after about 40 minutes for Waters and Jordan. Dunne came on for Galligan and Declan McKiernan came on late for Keating.

This was always going to be tough as we are trying to rebuild from scratch here, lots of effort and hopefully we get a few breaks and can consolidate a Division 3 position this year and build from there. Big game against an impressive Longford outfit next week.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 05, 2012, 05:47:28 PM
first 15 minutes was like deja vu all over again. Cleaned out at midfield both to direct fielding and being beaten to every break, 3-2 to 0-4 down at that stage. Really came good in the last 10 minutes of the first half and went in two points down. went to sleep at the start of the second half in a carbon copy of first 20 minutes of the first half and were 6 points down. Awarded a penalty for a foul on McDermott and a Wexford sending off for a second yellow. Good effort from Galligan deflected over the bar. Really well worked goal finished by McKiernan and we were a point behind, a man up and the game was there to be won. Another Wexford goal and game over.

Positives: There will be worse teams play then Wexford this year, they are favourites to go up and were at full strength, most of the Wexford people around me would have agreed that it was a nip and tuck affair and the result flattered them a bit. Good performances from McKiernan, Smith, Keating an Fitzpatrick. Keating knows how to put himself about, spent a lot of time out the park. He was subbed with 5 minutes to go, might have been for his own good.......would like to see Fitzpatrick get an extended run/chance during the league, showed well, worked hard distributed ok and took one good score.

Negatives: Miller needs a wake up call. At fault totally for one of the goals, very casual in possession and nearly got us into trouble at least twice in the first half. started to vary his kickouts in the second half but a bit late in the day. Conceding 4 goals tells it's own story and we need to get defending sorted out fast. Suppose Minagh would be most peoples candidates for a position in the full back line he wasn't around today. Not sure what the situation is with the Hayes lad from UCD maybe he won't commit but he seems to have made the corner back position his own with UCD for the last two years. We had lads on the panel today who aren't getting Sigerson games for their colleges so what to make of it all, who knows. Barkey, O'Dowd and Podge were ok in spurts today but were up against it. Ronan Flanagan followed his man out the park and struggled a fair bit.

Ray Galligan good from frees but wouldn't add a huge amount inside from what i saw today. McDernott good and strong but might struggle a bit against better teams who cop on to him being a bit one sided.

Fannin and McCutcheon came on after about 40 minutes for Waters and Jordan. Dunne came on for Galligan and Declan McKiernan came on late for Keating.

This was always going to be tough as we are trying to rebuild from scratch here, lots of effort and hopefully we get a few breaks and can consolidate a Division 3 position this year and build from there. Big game against an impressive Longford outfit next week.

Thanks for the report AC
how did my clubmate Sean McCormack get on?

anglocelt39

Defence wasn't a whole pile BHM, there was a lot of standing off, letting your opposite number get on the ball and hoping for the best from there, well not quite that's unfair to lads putting in a huge effort. Full back line has been an issue for a long time but we won't solve it by chopping and changing every week. Do you have any idea what the situation is with Dunne from Redhills   I know he was injured for a long while?

Breffni_Yank

Nearly coughed up the spuds when I heard we had let three goals in about 20 minutes especially cos James Reilly was back in there.

At least we didnt throw in the towel and roll over which is encouraging considering the age profile of the group but I mean how many times in recent years do we say we could have won that one but didn't.

I think we are in for a topsy turvy season.

AngloCelt, any chance you could post up what subs we had?

anglocelt39

Fintan Reilly Damian Reilly Slowey, Meehan, Cullivan, McClarey, McKeever were the unused subs refer earlier posts for subs that were used. Team started as announced which was a bit of a surprise.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 05, 2012, 08:46:51 PM
Nearly coughed up the spuds when I heard we had let three goals in about 20 minutes especially cos James Reilly was back in there.

At least we didnt throw in the towel and roll over which is encouraging considering the age profile of the group but I mean how many times in recent years do we say we could have won that one but didn't.

Yank, unfortunately it was  not one of James' better days either. I'm hesitant enough to be critical of lads but I'll offer my own opinion what while James is a superb shot stopper, he can sometime be a bit worrying when he is in possession and he could do with a plan B kickout by times.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 05, 2012, 08:56:50 PM
Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 05, 2012, 08:46:51 PM

Yank, unfortunately it was  not one of James' better days either. I'm hesitant enough to be critical of lads but I'll offer my own opinion what while James is a superb shot stopper, he can sometime be a bit worrying when he is in possession and he could do with a plan B kickout by times.

Thanks for that AC. Not too many options jumping out from the bench for the full-back is there? Where is Moynagh?

I just seen above that in the interview above somewhere James said he was only back a couple of weeks. He is normally reliable for us in fairness to him.