Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 18, 2007, 04:48:41 PM
who was it that mentioned Homers clubmate McDermott as a possible option a few weeks back?
im beginning to see the possibilities there.Heard hes playing great stuff for Ballinagh.

Cian has more than enough ability and power to make it at inter-county level but I doubt he would be interested to be honest. He went into the county u21s for 2 weeks last year before packing it in. A pity as he would have made a great addition to the side had he stuck with it. Looked sluggish in our last two games but I would consider exam-time had a lot of bearing on this, that and he did have the unenviable task of marshaling Trevor Crowe and Dermot McCabe.

Damien McInerney is another fella that needs to be convinced to return to the county-fold. A lion-hearted footballer and a tremendous athlete, he just doesn't know how to let you down. I wouldn't let his small stature fool you either - a little tank.

Denn Forever

I have been flitting in and out of this discussion so some of my questions may have been answered.

1) are the players getting a transfer to St. Brendan's  If they have been transfered, surely they can't play for their clubs until next year.

2)  what has the county board said about this? More importantly, what has Croke park said about it?

The qualifiers when the happen will be of a standard that is as high as these vguys woud ever play.  Surely they want to prove themselves.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Homer

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 18, 2007, 06:04:42 PM
I have been flitting in and out of this discussion so some of my questions may have been answered.

1) are the players getting a transfer to St. Brendan's  If they have been transfered, surely they can't play for their clubs until next year.

2)  what has the county board said about this? More importantly, what has Croke park said about it?

The qualifiers when the happen will be of a standard that is as high as these vguys woud ever play.  Surely they want to prove themselves.

Regarding 1, you can get a 60 day sanction to play football with foreign clubs and then return and play for your own club in the same year. As far as I know the sanction lasts the full 60 days so they will miss the next two months.

BallyhaiseMan

McInerney is a class act no doubt,Put him in at Cornerback on the county and forget about that position for 5-10 yearss

As for Cian McDermott
i seen him playing for Ballinagh under 21's against our lot,in November 2005,He played the field,outfielding Cullivan and Conor Lyons with ease it seemed,we dragged out our Full Back to spoil him then after 25 minutes,but the damage was already done,i thought he was a certainty for County Under 21's 06 after seeing that.
Shame he doesnt have the interest.

Denn Forever

How did ye Denn H00rs react when ye heard Martin Cahill was US Bound?  :P
a Big Blow to yer hopes of progressing in the Senior Championship.

Denn Forever

Need you ask when we got hammered by the Gaels.  Do we need to get Donal out of retirement.

Thanks for the answer Homer.  Good luck to them.
So it appears that the GAA condon this practice.  I thought that recently someone fell foul of this recently

Will we miss them?  Johnson played with DCU but in the final they won, terrible wether but he didn't play as well as Mortimer.  So will we miss him.   I don't think so.  Cahill is not a corner back.  He is a direct player and doesn't seem to have the "cuteness" required.  Should the postion be given to someone who plays there for their club.  The   ideal would be a Tony Sculion clone.  Re. the gunnar, he doesn't appear to be very glic witness coming back from america and expecting to play well the next day.  A management failure to allow him to start?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Homer

Quote from: CC1 on June 19, 2007, 08:13:27 AM
Not so sure about Cian McDermott myself. He was very very quiet for Ballinagh in our game with them in the u21 championship last year. Podge Reilly was the only Ballinagh player the stood out and he was head and shoulders over everyone else on the pitch that day. Maybe McDermott just had an off day...

He had an off day alright CC1... he had an off the pitch day, he injured his cruciate ligament in the league semi-final and wasn't fit to play.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 18, 2007, 09:03:36 PM
McInerney is a class act no doubt,Put him in at Cornerback on the county and forget about that position for 5-10 yearss

The issue with McInerney is that he feels he'd be codding himself going in to the senior panel, that he would not be able for it. He's finished college now so maybe somebody might be able to persuade him to give it a shot.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 18, 2007, 09:03:36 PM
As for Cian McDermott
i seen him playing for Ballinagh under 21's against our lot,in November 2005,He played the field,outfielding Cullivan and Conor Lyons with ease it seemed,we dragged out our Full Back to spoil him then after 25 minutes,but the damage was already done,i thought he was a certainty for County Under 21's 06 after seeing that.
Shame he doesnt have the interest.

Remember that game too BhaiseMan, we started with McInerney CHB, Gaynor and McDermott MF, and Podge CHF. I recall thinking at the time it must have been one of the strongest u21 diamond formations in the country.

Maximus Marillius

QuoteRemember that game too BhaiseMan, we started with McInerney CHB, Gaynor and McDermott MF, and Podge CHF. I recall thinking at the time it must have been one of the strongest u21 diamond formations in the country

Only in Cavan would ye think that shite....that sentance tells all that is wrong with Cavan football...when are ye going to realise ye are shite...and do something from u6s up to bring change! Ye are unreal!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on June 19, 2007, 01:33:50 PM
QuoteRemember that game too BhaiseMan, we started with McInerney CHB, Gaynor and McDermott MF, and Podge CHF. I recall thinking at the time it must have been one of the strongest u21 diamond formations in the country

Only in Cavan would ye think that shite....that sentance tells all that is wrong with Cavan football...when are ye going to realise ye are shite...and do something from u6s up to bring change! Ye are unreal!

someones cranky  :D Bellaghy not win in that McGlinchy cup thing last night then Max?  ;)  i do read the Derry thread once in a while to see you lot bitching at each other.  ;D

Far be it for me to be defending Ballinagh,as we have killed each other at all levels over the last 5 years on and off the pitch  :D

But that was one hell of an under 21 team alright.

Homer

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on June 19, 2007, 01:33:50 PM

I did mean at club level Max and i just meant those central 4 players, its only IMHO but McInerney, Gaynor and Podge were key players in the Cavan u21 team that year that would have beaten Down in the Ulster-final but for Gaynor losing the head and leaving us a man down after 15 mins.

but cheers for that input.  ::)

Maximus Marillius

Thanks lads, try to get a bite...but ye kept ur heads :-* :D

Homer

Try the Armagh or Tyrone threads Max, plenty of snappers over there

Hollow Man

Lads I know this boy was on a wind up but I agree. That's some pile of shite, with all due respect.

McInerney is a very solid player but too small in my opinion. Gaynor and Podge, fair enough, both had played in the Ulster senior championship, but McDermott is unproven at Cavn senior championship level, let alone Ulster. He's unproven at any level whatsoever for Cavan actually!

McInerney and McDermott are very good club players but the fatc that someone here (Homer?) excused two poor McDermott performances on the basis that he was marking inter county standard players (McCabe and Crowe) tells it's own story.

Crowe absolutely cleaned him out in Lacken that evening, although I would like to see McDermott go in to see what he has to offer, he could well make the step up but the jury is out...

What Max says is true, we're absolutely useless at every level of football and hurling and the stats back this up. Minors, Under 21s and seniors gone at the first round again this year - I wouldnt mind but the old hard luck stories of losing by a point to the team who wins the AI don't ring true either; Down minors and seniors were both beaten next time out, and Monaghan Under 21s couldn't get out of Ulster, beaten by a Down team who were themsleves dispatches next time out.

If Cavan football were a racehorse, there'd be so many lines of form running against us that we'd be 100/1 shots every day out!

PS Just thought of another - Ros, who we all said were class (brilliant massive midfield, nippy forwards etc), lost to Sligo. I mean, Sligo!!!

BallyhaiseMan

Ger Heneghan absolutely destroyed Anthony Forde at full forward,what did he do against Sligo? f**k all

Cathal Cregg?? destroyed Gunner at wing forward,and was annointed Roscommons next great hope,
He done sweet f**k all against Sligo either.

Finneran and O Neil made a show of us in the midfield area in Croker,

O Hara and Quinn showed them up to be what they were,two statues, who can catch a decent ball alright.

we now know in hindsight,That night showed more of the deficiencies of Our team than Rossies brilliance.

As for the naming of McInerney and McDermott as possible countymen,Its speculation i started because i was conversing with a Ballinagh GFC player/member,I dont know what club you are from HM?  ;) if i did,id be debating what players from your club should be getting a chance at the county set-up.I often have the same debates with Drungman C4ever.

Its boring this time of the year,No county games and now club championships.we need something to post about.

Homer

Quote from: Hollow Man on June 19, 2007, 03:39:44 PM

Lads I know this boy was on a wind up but I agree. That's some pile of shite, with all due respect.

McInerney is a very solid player but too small in my opinion. Gaynor and Podge, fair enough, both had played in the Ulster senior championship, but McDermott is unproven at Cavn senior championship level, let alone Ulster. He's unproven at any level whatsoever for Cavan actually!

McInerney and McDermott are very good club players but the fatc that someone here (Homer?) excused two poor McDermott performances on the basis that he was marking inter county standard players (McCabe and Crowe) tells it's own story.

Crowe absolutely cleaned him out in Lacken that evening, although I would like to see McDermott go in to see what he has to offer, he could well make the step up but the jury is out...

What Max says is true, we're absolutely useless at every level of football and hurling and the stats back this up. Minors, Under 21s and seniors gone at the first round again this year - I wouldnt mind but the old hard luck stories of losing by a point to the team who wins the AI don't ring true either; Down minors and seniors were both beaten next time out, and Monaghan Under 21s couldn't get out of Ulster, beaten by a Down team who were themsleves dispatches next time out.

I made the above statement in reference to the players, their form and my opinion of them at that time. Nothing to do with what has happened since HM.

Whatever about it having a bearing now, I don't believe that McInerney's size was that much of a factor at u21 level.

I agree that McDermott is the weak player in the 4 but again you're using present day arguments against the fella. But just to clarify I did mention that those two matches occurred during exam time which can fairly knock the stuffing out of anybody (Well actually the Gowna game was played just aprés exams, so you can make your own mind up on that one   :P).

Having said all that, I know it was a bit rich to come out with a statement like that. I don't think we were world beaters or anything  ;)

cavan4ever