Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Perfect time to bring back Eddie and Gaynor so.  :)
we need a back and a forward to add to the panel.

(thats a nice can of worms there im just after opening up)

Disappointed the two guys are going,IMO they would have been key players if we wanted to progress in the qualifiers.
But well it leaves the door open to two players who  want to be there.

Jelly and Gunner will also miss the first round and possibely the quarter finals of the club championships aswell.
The Gaels will miss him against Gowna in the first round,thats for sure.

anglocelt39

Yet again folks I think this begins to expose my sad theory that the good people of Cavan are being spun another pile of shite-we heard it all in various previous regimes-Kerrigan, McIlkennon being the best physical coach in the Country and we turn out an embarrassingly unfit team on a number of key occassions (Mayo in last 12, Down last albeit injury crisis was serious). So we get the same crack from Grimley and Keogan in the media this year,,,,,,,,,,,,,effort put in, couldn't ask more of them, same level of professionalism as Armagh etc. etc. etc. Then we get the first round against down and at least three players are patently unfit, overweight etc. The actions of these guys heading off to USA says more about the state of the panel than any of the standard managerial soundbytes.

Sad
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

There's a part of me that cannot begrudge these lads the chance to make a few handy quid.

But there's an even bigger part of me that thinks f**k these pricks I'd rather not win a game at senior level for three years than have either of them on the team again.

We clearly have to go back to square one and nurture young players from knee high up who both take pride in and understand what it means to pull on the blue shirt of a county with innumerably more Ulster titles than any other and as many All-Irelands as its nearest rivals in the province. Where is it all going wrong that two of our leading players and supposed role models for young gaels in our county can so flippantly f**k off in the middle of the championship without so much as having the decency to be even a little bit embarrassed?

The senior team has been suffering from too much short-termism for years, most noticably in how 'star' players have been indulged no matter what the sins under various managers and how other youngsters are brought in too soon and either over worked or infected with the general malaise. If the tail wasn't still wagging the dog when it comes to the county team and these big name players, these guys wouldn't have the balls to walk out now, in such an insulting fashion to all supporters, because they know that in a professional county they'd be effectively ending their intercounty careers. But deep down they know that when they come back and deign to consider the county team - probably after being begged to - there'll be an open door and a starting jersey for them.

If we have to clear out all these self-serving muppets with their deep seated sense of entitlement and grossly inflated notion of self worth - and not win at senior for three years, I'd put up with it if at the end of the whole sorry bood letting process we had a squad full of passionate players willing to bust a gut for their county because they know and understand the responsibility and deep honour that goes with it.

This year is going backwards and down the drain in a rapid hurry. I'm disgusted and depressed the more I think about it. I'm ready for more horror stories, it's like a return to the bad old days under Mattie Kerrigan. Which begs the question, if Keogan has lost his taste for it, is it his own indifference that has handed carte blanche to the playes again to declare open season on team discipline and morale?

The Bottom Brick

On a better note, Cavan beat Mayo by four points in a challenge in Athlone last night

Mayo had Mortimer, McDonald, Dillon etc all playing
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavan4ever

Any idea who had cavan playing Brick ?

The Bottom Brick

Rumour has it Larry and Mackey were very good, that's all i know
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Davitt Man

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on June 13, 2007, 09:37:36 AM
On a better note, Cavan beat Mayo by four points in a challenge in Athlone last night

Mayo had Mortimer, McDonald, Dillon etc all playing

Any one know what the full teams were?

On Sean Johnson leaving for the US, it seems there is a bit of a rift between himself and management, he was wrongly substituted in the drawn down game he now he has had enough by the looks of it.

cavanmaniac

Is Sean Johnston a man or a f**king mouse? Is he such a cry baby that he can't accept being substituted, even if it was in the wrong, and go out and prove his doubters wrong in the next game like a real man would, and more to the point, a real sportsman?

Does he consider himself undroppable or untouchable on the basis of one or two top displays for his county and a bit of a run in the Sigerson? I accept he should be disappointed to be dropped or subbed - any one worth their salt should be - but the way to deal with that is on the field with the head down like he did in Newry, and not spit the dummy like a primadonna who seems to think he has achieved enough in the game to be telling management what to do.

Again I say, and I don't care how good he is, if he's not willing to toe the line, take selections on the chin and play for the good of the team, then he shouldn't be back on the panel.

Homer

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=78707

Keoghan fuming over defections

Cavan manager Donal Keoghan has told Paul Brady and Seanie Johnston that they will never play under him again following their decision to spend the rest of the summer in the US.

World Handball champion Brady and ace attacker Johnston informed a stunned Keoghan of their decision on Monday night to travel to Chicago where they will play for the St. Brendan's club. It's understood that they were contacted last week by St. Brendan's and plan to fly out to the US on Friday.

Keoghan said a third unnamed player is leaving too, though a Cavan official said the player was still "considering his options."

But the defections of Brady and Johnston is a huge blow to the Breffni County's hopes of making an impact in the All-Ireland qualifiers following their elimination from the Ulster SFC last month by Down.

"I'm very disappointed with them and the lack of respect they've shown for their team-mates, for the management and for the Cavan team," a fuming Keoghan said.

"I just got word that a third guy is heading off too and all I can say is that I'm very disappointed with them and their decision.

"I'll be honest with you, I don't even want to change their minds at this stage. If they want to train all year and then up sticks and head off to America then it just shows how much they really care about Cavan football.

"Any fella that goes away to America won't be wearing a Cavan jersey again while I'm in charge. I'm very hurt about it. There's definitely no way they'll be back playing while I'm in charge."

--------------------------------------

"a third unnamed player is leaving too"

Looks like Cahill is heading stateside too. Finbar Reilly a la 2006 anyone?

cavan4ever

Hopefully someone new will get a chance to prove themselves now, one thing for sure is it makes Gaynor look like a saint for going away in December when there were no games.

mylestheslasher

I haven't been Keoghans biggest fan but I have to say that every word in that report above is exactly what I think. Let the pair (or three) of them f**k off and stay in the US. I will miss Johnstones clench fist to the crowd everytime he scores - not. Best to get the players out that don't truly care about Cavan and get the lads in (i.e. Gaynor) that do care about the county team.

That was a good result against Mayo, I'd love to know what the teams were. Maybe this exodus will work to unite the team.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on June 13, 2007, 01:02:52 PM
Why are there so mnay wankers in Cavan football

Didn't realise a census had been done on the proportion of wankers in each counties GAA :).

cavanmaniac

"I'm very disappointed with them and the lack of respect they've shown for their team-mates, for the management and for the Cavan team," a fuming Keoghan said.

"I just got word that a third guy is heading off too and all I can say is that I'm very disappointed with them and their decision.

"I'll be honest with you, I don't even want to change their minds at this stage. If they want to train all year and then up sticks and head off to America then it just shows how much they really care about Cavan football.

"Any fella that goes away to America won't be wearing a Cavan jersey again while I'm in charge. I'm very hurt about it. There's definitely no way they'll be back playing while I'm in charge."

Well said that man. Whatever you think about Keogan he's on the money with this one.

I hoep the guy in the Echo goes to town on these players this weekend as well, you needn't rely on the Celt to reflect the mood of the supporters.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on June 13, 2007, 01:02:52 PM
Why are there so mnay wankers in Cavan football

your guess is as good as mine.

You dont hear of any of the Longford or Westmeath lads going over to the US,and christ we have as good a chance as progressing in the qualifiers as they do.