Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Ballymachugh are a tough doggid side with a couple of good players,James Kiernan etc,
But jaysus you would expect Knockbride to be beating them.

i was suprised at Killygarry getting relegated in the first place,seen them a fair bit in league and championship last year and i thought they were good.

We have Swad in the first round of IFC,they arent going well,but i expect them to be very tough .

Lavey will cause a shock or two in the IFC, especially if Jordan and Maguire are fit,but they just dont have the allround strength to challenge.

Laragh nearly upset Drumalee last year,but seem to have gone back.

Id be expecting Your crowd to be there or thereabouts along with Buttlersbridge for the JFC, CC1
Its about time you joined the Intermediate ranks  ;)

mylestheslasher

Very sad to hear of the death of Eamonn Coleman. It puts the whole football thing in perspective I suppose. Rest in peace Eamonn.

Hollow Man

Intersting article for Cavan supporters

http://www.cavanecho.com/pdf/pages/cav028.pdf

Any word on any new additions to the panel lately? Hear Mccabe had a monstrous match last weekend

BallyhaiseMan

interesting and well written article HM.

the latest Post on Hoganstand,is one i agree with,

The Giving of the Minor Job to either Niall Lynch and /or Mickie Graham and give them 3  or 4 years at it, quit this chopping and changing after 2 years.

The Bottom Brick

I agree, Mickey Graham has a decent record so far with Bridge and Drumalee...

Niall Lynch has a super record with Virginia too
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavanmaniac

I agree with the shouts for a four-year tenure in charge of the minors. It makes sense. The minor job has been treated like a revolving chair in recent years and if Graham got it and took it, it'd be a decent line of continuity through from U16 or under, and on into minor and perhaps into U21.

IMHO, the underage grades are practically all that matters in Cavan football for the next five years. We have alot of our top performers about to shuffle off the stage and althought there's a sprinkling of decent players of a younger vintage there behind them, in reality I think we could be looking at more lean years at senior. If the present, younger senior players played on for a few more years and became more seasoned, in four years or so we could have a good crop from the underage teams to come through and fuse into a decent blend.

The article in Echo is absolutely spot on the button too, it's what I've been saying for years. Whatever about finding our own Crusheen up near Swanlinbar or somewhere, addressing our dreadful losers and chokers mentality at underage is absolutely fundamental if we're to go anywhere at senior in next five years, because that mentality is carried into seniors by players who are probably promoted to senior too early as well. Oh what a win against Down minors a few years ago and a place in the Ulster final might have done for the county in general!

From what I can gather, Graham has done well in any job he's taken so far and has a good record with underage sides in the county. He might carry a bit more clout with present teenagers as well having been a decent forward in recent times, and still at club, that the young fellas will remember and look up to.

cavan4ever

Definatlely shud be lynch or graham

BallyhaiseMan

according to some highly informed individual on the inferior GAA site Messageboard.
Jelly
Gunner
and Martin Cahill have either f**ked off to the US or are planning to in the immediate future.  :D
i Highly doubt thats true

cavanmaniac

Where was that? On hoganchimps.com? Sent in by eddie the egg? Pah!

Homer

Shit lads stop laughing

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=78645

Brady and Johnston accepts Chicago call

Cavan footballer and world handball champion, Paul Brady along with Seanie Johnston, have dramatically pulled out of Donal Keogan's side just weeks before the county begin their assault on the All-Ireland qualifiers.

Brady, along with fellow Cavan player, Seanie Johnson, will travel to Chicago later in the week where the pair will line out with the St Brendan's club for the remainder of the championship season.

Brady, a two-time world handball champion, will take advantage of his time in the States to prepare for the US Handball Open which takes place in Los Angeles in October. Last week, the Mullahoran clubman was honoured with the Handballer of the Year Award for 2006, his second time to receive the accolade.

Brady was scheduled to make a rare appearance in the 60 x 30 code and One Wall Nationals this year, but is likely to keep to the familiar 40 x 20 training during his stay in Chicago. His departure, and that of Cavan Gaels star, Seanie Johnson, will be a major loss to the Breffni side. Mullohoran, who are aiming to defend their county title this season, have also been dealt a severe blow by Brady's exodus but the 27-year-old will now turn his attention to collecting silverware stateside.

News of Brady and Johnson's US move comes quick on the heals of a large number of Antrim players taking up offers of summer football from various other American clubs.

cavan4ever

shite i though it was bullshit aswell..  Best of luck to them but not good for county team  >:(

cavanmaniac

No, definitely not.  >:(

Says alot about what they reckon the team can achieve and gives the lie to the line being peddled by Keogan and Grimley all year about a fantastic bunch of players giving it their all with full commitment and so on.

If this is the attitude in the squad, and with one of the players in question related to Keogan as well, it would appear that interest has bottomed out completely and the season is about to fizzle out into a damp squib. On one hand I can't blame the guys really but on the other I think it's a selfish act and letting down the others on the team who have trained as hard all year. There can't really be great unity and spirit in the camp like we thought.

I hope I'm wrong but we look even more of a soft touch in the qualifiers now and that's a shame because we did seem to ahve made some little bit of progress this year from an admittedly low starting point.

It makes for grim reading and all in all would leave a person:

mylestheslasher

This is a fu*king disgrace. I am an admirer of both players abilities but this is a kick in the teeth to the other players and to the supporters of Cavan up and down the country. Many exceptions have been made for Brady over the years to accomodate his handball and this is what we get back. And to think Anthony Gaynor went away for a couple of weeks pre-season and he gets the boot!!! What the hell did these boys train all year for if they are going to head off like that. Maybe if we paid them they'd play a bit better for Cavan. Clearly the senior panel is in melt-down. 16 at training, players pissing off. I for one don't Brady and Johnstone well at all - may the divil bull them.

trim blue

Very dissappointing news. Brady and Johnstone shouldn't be let play for Cavan again if this is true, if they had told mgt at the start of the year that this was their intention then they wouldn't be on the panel in the first place so to spring this on the other players and mgt now is just taking the piss and sticking the two fingers up at anyone who is committed about Cavan football. Maybe the rumours about Larry and McCabe quitting aren't too wide of the mark either..
ah sure tog out anyway

Homer

Very surprised and disappointed with the news.

On one hand I accept that young people like Johnston deserve the chance to travel before they commit to the restrains of the real world. But on the other (much heavier at this point) hand how can these guys just up sticks and leave their team-mates and county during a championship campaign.

Could this be anything to do with the two lads not starting against Down in Newry?

Gunner said at the start of the year he was giving one last year to Cavan football before relinquishing his dual role, so has he played his last game in the Breffni Blue.

If Keoghan & Co. stick about for another year, will we see these boys get the same cold shoulder Gaynor is getting??