Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Yeh narrow defeat,
Jonathon Crowe and Rory Gallagher were playing for C'Lough,
Cullivan wasnt playing for us,dont know what was wrong if hes injured or what?
we had a bad start, were 1-04 to 0-01 down,The goal coming off a mistake from one of our inexperienced Cornerbacks.
Although from then on,we gave as good as we got..but couldnt claw our way back.

Crowe was very good playing midfield
Gallagher kicked one great score from play,Scored a few from frees and missed a few aswell..playing full forward.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 29, 2007, 11:06:00 PM
The one thing that has struck me about Meath this year is the amount of goals they get and how often they prove the difference in games.

And in particular, Brian Farrell. He must have bagged at least 6 during the league this year if not more...

CC1

Some lad posted this up on hoganstand:
Quote from: IshmaelOk here comes the debate of all debates.
I've taken into consideration the 2006 League and Championship, clubs current standings in the league at present and number of county ex-county players (to a lesser extent). In MY opinion, here's how your club ranks in Cavan Football:

1. Cavan Gaels
2. Mullahoran
3. Ballinagh
4. Castlerahan
5. Gowna
6. Cuchulainns
7. Crosserlough
8. Kingscourt
9. Belturbet
10. Denn
11. Lacken
12. Drumalee
13. Belturbet
14. Killygarry
15. Drumlane
16. Ballyhaise
17. Ramor
18. Lavey
19. Knockbride
20. Drumgoon
21. Redhills
22. Drung
23. Cootehill
24. Laragh
25. Shercock
26. Baileboro
27. Ballymachugh
28. Swadlinbar
29. Cavan Gaels (B)
30. Kill
31. Butlersbridge
32. Kildallon
33. Shannon Gaels
34. Munterconnaught
35. Killeshandra
36. Templeport
37. Arva
38. Mullahoran (B)
39. Maghera
40. Corlough
41. Mountnugent
I know there are a few mistakes here and there (the omissions of Cornafean and Killinkere and Belturbet in twice). Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I think it is fairly accurate...
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

mylestheslasher

According to some lad on the Hoganstand message board, Cavan beat longford well at the weekend. The same lad also claims gaynor was playing at corner back and McCabe started FF. I have no idea if there is a grain of truth to this. Has anyone any info on it? Also seen on Hoganstand that Walsh and Mulvey will be back for the Down match even though Walsh didn't play for the gaels win over Belturbet at the weekend.

cavan4ever

i wouldn't read much into it myles 80% of stuff written on that is lies.  Mulvey's suspenion will be up before the down game.  No nothing about Walsh.

cavanmaniac

I'll eat my hat if Gaynor is involved in the county team under Keogan. Now I don't even wear a hat, but I'd find one somewhere and eat it nonetheless.

Walsh is supposed to be training away for a few weeks wihtout any reaction so hopefully we'll get a few minutes antagonistic-type play out of him against Down at the very least. On the basis of the Roscommon wipe-out, he's badly needed.

mylestheslasher

He saw the wild head of hair on Hannon probably and thought it was gaynor. Sorry for posting such wild rumour. Apparantley we did beat Longford well so that is good. This time of the year we normally get hammered in some challenge game (like V Dublin 2 yrs ago)

trim blue

The lad on Hoganstand said Gaynor was in the corner so this makes it more than likely that he is mixing him up with Hannon, if this is true then the worse part of this is that Hannon is still in the corner and not being tried at FB. :(
ah sure tog out anyway

cavanmaniac

That's most likely. Hannon's whin-bush-in-a-force-ten-gale hairstyle would make you think he was Gaynor alright.

I presume it was still Forde at no.3 then, yeah?  ::)

mylestheslasher

Challenge games wins for Cavan minor and senior sides
03 May 2007

During the past week, Cavan minor and senior teams have been preparing diligently for the forthcoming Ulster championship clashes with Down in Kingspan/Breffni Park, Cavan on Sunday week, 13th of May.

The senior side travelled to Killoe, Co. Longford during the week and had a convincing victory over Longford in a competitive challenge game. After a close opening half, the Cavan side upped their game in the second-half and pulled away for an impressive win.
The county minor team were also in action during the week when they played Westmeath in a challenge game on Tuesday evening in Mullingar. The Cavan side turned in an impressive performance especially in attack, and ran out convincing winners in the end. The highlight of the game was some excellent point scoring by the Breffni side.

Now the focus for both sides is their championship meetings with Down on Sunday week. Preparations seem to be going well, and hopefully, they can 'do the business' in front of their own supporters in Kingspan/Breffni Park on May 13th

Handball Ace

Check out

http://nft-tv.com/USHA/

Cavan handballer Paul Brady is taking on US number one  Naty Alvarado from California in the semi final of the biggest handball tournament in the world, the US Nationals (winner guaranteed 5k).

You can watch the match live and free over the net by following the link!!!

5,000 viewers right now!

BallyhaiseMan

havent been online much due to exams.
Things are too quiet on here.
At least let us start ridiculous speculation as to what the team for May 13th should be.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 04, 2007, 08:02:11 PM
havent been online much due to exams.
Things are too quiet on here.
At least let us start ridiculous speculation as to what the team for May 13th should be.

To kick of the ridiculous speculation.....

The Cavan Team will be

James Reilly (hopefully with some ants in his pants to keep him awake)
Hannon
Forde (cos they ain't for turning in the management)
Fannin
Brady
McKeever
Crowe
Walshe
Mulvey
Cullivan
Lyng
Sean Brady
Pierson
McCabe (apparently tried here in recent friendly v Longford)
Johnson

I am trying to get some size into this team and I reckon McKeever is needed at Ctr Back, so what do ye think of that.

anglocelt39

agree with most of what you suggest there Myles. There are probably 11/12 people on your team that will start, it's a case of what position. There are two things to think about here, firstly who we think should start and, more importantly who will start on the day. Any set of selectors like to be seen as their own men etc. etc. and not being responding to the latest set of demands from supporters, pub selectors, media or internet screen jockeys. So as regards people that will start I am fairly certain that Eamon Reilly will start as he's been there all through the league-might be better on the wing or in the corner though. I also wouldn't rule out Gallagher starting either for the reason that his coming on board was seen as a coup by Keogan etc. etc. Not saying I'm fierce excited about either person starting but on will start and two may do so.

As for your predicted starting 15 the biggest concern is A Forde at Number 3. It's all been said here before and won't go into it again. I would turn the clock right back to the mid 90's when he came on the scene as a half forward and would get him up there again. He was turned into a defender to help cope with the lack of defenders at the time (ditto Peter Reilly) and while he has always been superb on the ball, his tackling remains a bit suss-as in the Rossie game at Croker. Out the field he is a serious forager, will get to the breaks around the middle and can get good quick ball in to the forwards. Hannon for full back in the absence of Rabbitte or the great un-named one of Ballinagh. Not perfect but has to be done. Incidentally, I think Hannon is the best corner back we have seen in a blue jersey in many's a day-good with ball in hand, good with ball not in hand, gets forward by times and good natural force/aggression which is well channeled. Would have been an automatic pick on the 97 team in my opinion.
Agree with McKeever at CHB-needed to strengthen that line hopefully he can turn in another like the Armagh game a few years ago which I thought was one of the better championship performances by a Cavan player in the last few years. Would consider Flanagan for a place somewhere, possibly in the half back line.

Options at mid field and half forward line to compete out the middle, which is what is needed. Also agree with having McCabe in at Full Forward, looks like the legs just can't quite take the full 70 minutes championship football any more. He can do stints out there with Cullivan or Sean Brady moving in if needed. Toss up between Jason or Pierson to start. Jason still has that goal getting threat which could be a clincher if things are tight.

So, some tight selection decisions to be made and we have to rely on the management team to make the calls in terms of up to the mimute form, confidence and, importantly, fitness levels for the likes of Sean Brady and Walsh.

Having the likes of Lyng, Mulvey, Walsh, Sean Brady available for selection gives us the chance to put out a much more competitive outfit than lined out against the Rossies, Hope the selectors get it right and we end up smiling. But please, move Forde out-I'm sure ho would welcome the prospect as well.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Is the minor game on before the senior game next Sunday?