Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

I know he picked up injuries just after that u21 final and missed last year because of it, but didn't realise he was still on the sick bed. A pity as he always gave 100% commitment to the cause. Don't think he even drinks just because of football.

BallyhaiseMan

with the injuries hes had,id say it will take him til the summer to recover his fitness.... wouldnt be suprised to see him brought into the county panel at a later stage...especially with the championships likely to start earlier this year which will give him ample time and chances to impress.
very strong looking under 21 team even with it missing a few key players.....
Very strong Full back line...
Ive been Raving about McDonald on here for the last few months....as you guys said probably too raw for the county seniors this year...but a definite on the under 21's in my opinion.

cavan4ever

He had groin injury and missed most of last year. He was also ill for a while which prob came from doing to much training.  He is a good club footballer but def not a county senior midfielder at the moment.

BallyhaiseMan

Perhaps not and you know his potential and /or shortcomings better than any of us mate but with the way of Keoghan using Johnny Crowe,Nicko Walsh,Michael Brennan and Mulvey when he came on(all midfield type players) in other positions...there could be a place for him in the half forward line.

Homer

I wouldn't have him midfield anyway, a wing-forward I rekon is his most likely position.

cavan4ever

yeah true keoghan is expermenting with alot of midfielders in different positions, but i reckon there are alot of lads ahead of him.  Nobody will try harder than him anyway.  It's good 2 see some big men playing for cavan thats what is needed. 

cavanmaniac

It's amazing how one win with a bit of style and passion lifts the mood! But remember lads, it's only January and we're clearly very fit which tilts the balance our way quite alot at this stage of the year. Lots to be positive about for sure, but let's keep the ould feet on the ground and cast our minds back to how low we sunk last year - alot of hard work still to be done and there'll surely be some bad days as well as good supporting this team in the next few months.

But sure we can smile for now anyway.

This Donal Thomas lad - looks a big bruiser but not sure he'll make the summer cut based on Sunday even though it's very early to judge him...is he a Denn man or where did he come from?

Homer

Donal Thomas is from Killygarry nice footballer and a nice fella but don't think he's up to the standard come championship.

Homer

Millers Back  ;D ;D ;D

Former All-Star nominee goalkeeper James Reilly has rejoined the Cavan senior football squad.

Ahead of the Breffni Blues' second round McKenna Cup clash with Queens University at Kingspan/Breffni Park on Sunday next, Reilly's return will come as a boost to new Cavan boss Donal Keoghan.

Reilly is due to attend training tonight (Tuesday), thus ending his decision to opt out of football for 2007.

The 24 year old was nominated for an All-Star award in 2005, when Martin McElkennon was in charge of Cavan, but lost out to Diarmuid Murphy for the gong.

The expert shot-stopper was instrumental in helping Cavan reach the last 12 of the All-Ireland SFC in '05 and has reacted positively to Donal Keoghan's overtures.

-From the hoganstand

Blue06

I see on Aertel next weekends match with Queens has a 6:30 start Saturday evening.

Should be a decent crowd following the Sundays positive start to the new year.

cavanmaniac

Bit of a turnaround by Reilly but good to have him back - provided he does the training. He looked a bit out of shape and disinterested last year after a superb debut season the year before.

The Bottom Brick

who was in goal for the cavan under 21s last saturday anyone know?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Homer

I think I heard it was Andrew Smith of Cornafean.

The Bottom Brick

oh right. what club does geoghan play for? and this padraig smith fella?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Homer

Geoghan is another Cornafean man (don't think either of these boys will be required in March) and Pariac 'Lukey' Smith is from Castlerahen.