Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on December 22, 2006, 12:00:49 PM
A turkey from Derry? It's not Enda Muldoon is it? ;D

Happy Christmas Lynchbhoy, we know you're a Cavan wannabe at heart!
I have been bringing Christmas to Cavan for the past two years.
thats what you get when you marry one!

CavanCola

The Biggest Turkey I can think of from Derry would have to be the big and bould Geffory McGonigel.  I can't imagine how big he is now. Is he still playing? He'd never fit in the oven.

Cavan Maniac,
That would have been Mickey Faulkner that was scoring the points? Always played at number 14.
Pat always played corner back / wing back. He was Merciless. He invented the phrase "they shall not pass".

Remember that head line as well!! Freaky.

Happy Christmas to all

Ho Ho Ho

cavanmaniac

Quote from: CavanCola on December 22, 2006, 12:26:14 PMCavan Maniac,
That would have been Mickey Faulkner that was scoring the points? Always played at number 14.

And I knew when typing it I was making that mistake but just ignored it and typed it anyway. ALWAYS get these guys mixed up! ::)

cavan4ever

Hope u guys don't eat 2 much turkey over xmas the first round of league games are the 18th feb so go easy on the food and the pints!!!!!

BallyhaiseMan

18th February  :o
Bollox
i wasnt going to bother starting training this year til the end of Janurary.........

mylestheslasher

Well lads, off home after work in a few minutes. Have a good christmas and hopefully we'll have a good year of the football. BTW, any of you ever visit the http://www.breifne.ie/ website. It is a tourism thing and nothing to do with football, but there is loads of stuff about the old kingdom, which we were in the heart of, that you never get thought about anymore sadly. I spent a good hour on it the other night reading through.

BallyhaiseMan

Happy Christmas Myles....
Happy Christmas to
all other Cavan Posters(Lynchbhoy as well  ;D )
Cant wait to finish work at 5.

cavanmaniac

Well I'm forking off right now and won't be seen near a PC until early January, so until then happy Christmas to all Cavan folk, and gaels everywhere. Except Meath. And Monaghan. And Longford. Oh, and Westmeath. Fermanagh and Tyrone while I'm about it.

Ah feck it, Happy Christmas to everyone no matter where, see yis all next year ;D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: CavanCola on December 22, 2006, 12:26:14 PM
The Biggest Turkey I can think of from Derry would have to be the big and bould Geffory McGonigel.  I can't imagine how big he is now. Is he still playing? He'd never fit in the oven.

Cavan Maniac,
Pat always played corner back / wing back. He was Merciless. He invented the phrase "they shall not pass".

Remember that head line as well!! Freaky.

Happy Christmas to all

Ho Ho Ho

Naw man, there are far bigger turkeys in Derry.
Yous would have played Geoff if yez had him - pity Derry wouldnt in those days.

Were the Faulkeners from Kingscourt

happy Christmas all you Cavan folk.

anglocelt39

Am I the only Cavan man that posts to this thread in his own time???

Happy christmas one and all. Jim Reilly was indeed a classy footballer. Irish Indo had one of these filler articles a year or two ago, best all star team never to win all stars if you get my meaning and Jim was on there at wing half back. Not sure that life has been all that kind to him since which is a pity. Think it was the 78 Ulster final that we may have taken a double beating in, minor and senior. Minor team included Jim, Donal Donohue, Ray Cullivan, well trounced by somebody or other although I remember a screamer of a goal being scored for Cavan by, I think, Aidan Tierney of Kingscourt Stars, the Stars had some serious underage talent around those times. That same year we took a good beating from Down in the senior final and a few things stand out. I think it was the year that Ollie Texas Brady got his all star, a bit controversially since Kevin Moran of Dublin was also in the running for the Number 6 spot. The Late Michael O Hehir in his preview that day had the headline that the outcome to the game lay "Deep in the Heart of Texas". Ollie took em on single handed as I recall and was being roared on from the hill in Clones. Come the last ten minutes we were well bet and Texas had run out of Steam. Gowan Texas went a forlorn breffni voice as he want on one more maraude up the park to which a droll down Voice replied "yiz need a few more Texans out there lads" . Also remember that prize p***k Adge King trying to launch a physical attack on Liam Austin, no less, with few boxes to the ribs, no attempt to play the ball at all, Austin nearly fell around laughing at him. Adge's weight division for acting the maggot was no higher than youngsters in club matches as he was to prove in a county final a few years later.

Maniac, your first championship fixture against the Mushroom pickers in 86??? surprised I thought you might have been around a bit longer................you certainly have stuck it out through thin and thin, the day we started making headlines for giving what once was a routine beating to that lot. Somebody else spoke about the centenary semi final in 84 against the rials, christ it was tough going coming back through Kells and Navan that night. Abiding memory was Kevin Carney of Cootehlill (all 10 stones of him) coming on towards the end and going in on Mick Lyons, enough said.

Seasons greetings all
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Owenmoresider

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 22, 2006, 03:27:24 PM
Well lads, off home after work in a few minutes. Have a good christmas and hopefully we'll have a good year of the football. BTW, any of you ever visit the http://www.breifne.ie/ website. It is a tourism thing and nothing to do with football, but there is loads of stuff about the old kingdom, which we were in the heart of, that you never get thought about anymore sadly. I spent a good hour on it the other night reading through.
It's funny you should bring that up myles, a few months ago a big sign was erected at Knockbeg (on the N17 between Ballinacarrow and Collooney) indicating your entry to "Breifne", and no-one knew what it was for. Same sign was on the Ballymote-Tubber road. That site has cleared it up now, think the ruins featured on the site's homepage are the ruins just off the Collooney/Ballygawley road. Would never have thought that we would have had any linkage with Breffni, turns out we're on its windowledge.

The Bottom Brick

Is that Kevin Carney the reporter?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

anglocelt39

the very same one bb, if you can imagine somebody, lilke, say Jelly Johnston one year out of minor being sent on in the last ten minutes when the game is well lost and, guess what, congratulations, you have the honour of going in on the bone cruncher that was Mick Lyons you get the general picture. The sort of thing that stays with you for a while.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

The Bottom Brick

Didn't know Carney was a good footballer in his day...

Wonder does he do much for the Celt?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

CavanCola

Anyone know (Or guess) what the Cavan Team will be for next sunday v Derry?