Where will you spend the eleventh night/twelfth?

Started by Rois, July 10, 2007, 10:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Just out of interest - are people fleeing the north in the annual mass exodus or has that passed now? 

Having just moved to North Belfast, I'm getting away for the eleventh night as I fear I may be within smelling distance of the Mount Vernon bonfire.

anportmorforjfc

Colonel Cool

At home. If I lived in North Belfast I would get off side too.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

the Deel Rover

seems to be a lot of "nordies" down at the ballina salmon festival in mayo
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Colonel Cool on July 10, 2007, 10:29:22 AM
At home. If I lived in North Belfast I would get off side too.

Couldn't disagree more, bought a house in N Belfast 2 years ago now and it's an excellent place to live. Yes there are some really dodgy areas but if you are mad enough to buy near an interface then I would suggest heading countrywards tomorrow. The Antrim Road will be operating as normal on the 12th.
That said I will be heading for Carlow on Friday in preparation for Saturdays big match in Mullingar...!  8)
Tbc....

Rois

GDA I love it up there, but it's just off Fortwilliam Park and I'm serious when I say that I would no doubt smell the Mount Vernon bonfire.  
Do you seriously think the Antrim Road will operate as normal?  Much as I hate the twelfth, I and many others like me love getting the two days off.  I'm sure a lot of the Antrim Road businesses will be the same (well my hairdressers for one :)).
Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 10, 2007, 11:13:39 AM
Well there is one thing for sure. Thursday will see an end to this bad weather. It never rains on the 12th.
I agree 100%

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Rois on July 10, 2007, 11:17:50 AM
GDA I love it up there, but it's just off Fortwilliam Park and I'm serious when I say that I would no doubt smell the Mount Vernon bonfire.  
Do you seriously think the Antrim Road will operate as normal?  Much as I hate the twelfth, I and many others like me love getting the two days off.  I'm sure a lot of the Antrim Road businesses will be the same (well my hairdressers for one :)).
Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 10, 2007, 11:13:39 AM
Well there is one thing for sure. Thursday will see an end to this bad weather. It never rains on the 12th.
I agree 100%

Talking about the bars on the road Rois.  ;)
Tbc....

Spiritof98

Always an excuse to go on the rip, for my 1/16 protestant heritage, but his year I will be working for that well re-nouned Nationalist newspaper the Belfast Telegraph.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Rois

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 10, 2007, 11:23:12 AM

Ah, the Chester, my local, Cassidy's that smells like an Ulsterbus on a wet day and has the worst painting of Kieran McGeeny outside, the Phoenix with it's welcoming colours...now I know why I bought in the North   ;D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Rois on July 10, 2007, 11:57:15 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 10, 2007, 11:23:12 AM

Ah, the Chester, my local, Cassidy's that smells like an Ulsterbus on a wet day and has the worst painting of Kieran McGeeny outside, the Phoenix with it's welcoming colours...now I know why I bought in the North   ;D

Ah now Rois, your forgetting McLaughlins and McGraths on the Cliftonville Rd and what about the Landsdowne and the Bellevue, and for a more salubrious atmosphere you have the CBS club facing the Waterworks, and then St Malachy's club at Fortwilliam. Would disagree re: Cassidys, suppose it used to smell pretty bad, but bar the toilets (gents stink on occasion) it has improved alot recently, it's also a great spot for meeting characters and just chating to people about topical issues and sporting events. Usually a good bit of banter going on as well - basically it has atmosphere (other then a wet Ulsterbus! ;))
Oh did I mention the Cliftonville supporters club, the Park Inn, Glenpark and.......... oh we are now heading into Ardoyne and that would take another three pages to list the pubs there but Ard Eoin Kickhams GAA club is a good spot to head to for a pint if your down that neck of the woods.  ;)
Tbc....

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

Rois

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 10, 2007, 12:10:28 PM
Would disagree re: Cassidys, suppose it used to smell pretty bad, but bar the toilets (gents stink on occasion) it has improved alot recently, it's also a great spot for meeting characters and just chating to people about topical issues and sporting events. Usually a good bit of banter going on as well - basically it has atmosphere (other then a wet Ulsterbus! ;))

Well it must have improved drastically in the last month then cause I was in the time of the postponed Derry/Antrim match and it was like a very very old social club.  I walk past McLaughlin's every day on my way home, always tempted in for a pint  :P
Not wildly fussed on the Lansdowne (my sis lives down behind it so been in that manys a time over the last ten years) and the Bellvue is a good taxi ride away so not appealing.  Will stick to Blind Tiger in the Chester.   

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Rois on July 10, 2007, 12:25:54 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 10, 2007, 12:10:28 PM
Would disagree re: Cassidys, suppose it used to smell pretty bad, but bar the toilets (gents stink on occasion) it has improved alot recently, it's also a great spot for meeting characters and just chating to people about topical issues and sporting events. Usually a good bit of banter going on as well - basically it has atmosphere (other then a wet Ulsterbus! ;))

Well it must have improved drastically in the last month then cause I was in the time of the postponed Derry/Antrim match and it was like a very very old social club.  I walk past McLaughlin's every day on my way home, always tempted in for a pint  :P
Not wildly fussed on the Lansdowne (my sis lives down behind it so been in that manys a time over the last ten years) and the Bellvue is a good taxi ride away so not appealing.  Will stick to Blind Tiger in the Chester.   

Always found the Chester bar quite bland, bit like a big square waiting room!  ;)
You should try the CB club though.

P.S forgot to mention the Hole-in-the Wall bar and the YCMSC also facing the Waterworks.  ;D
Tbc....

ziggysego

Probably sit at home and catch up on some paper work
Testing Accessibility

Spiritof98

Quote from: ziggysego on July 10, 2007, 01:31:44 PM
Probably sit at home and catch up on some paper work

Because you do fcuk all but look at this thing any other day of the year. 8) ;) :D
I'll go back if Marsdens back