Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: restorepride on May 16, 2022, 10:01:10 PM
Quote from: Westside on May 16, 2022, 06:28:28 PM
I think Derry are a one trick pony. Donegal will mirror them and it'll come down to who has the better players and that's Donegal.

If any Donegal player/mentor wants to take one for the team and meet Gallagher with a shoulder during one of his sideline fits, he'll be hailed as a hero.
Did a Tyrone player not try that? Worked well.

They could wait until later in the game when he's dehydrated from the excessive hand licking.

nrico2006

I think we are seeing Derry at their absolute best to be honest, I don't think there are any more levels to their game.  They are structured well but seem to lack any real top class individuals.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armagh18

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 17, 2022, 10:29:15 AM
I think we are seeing Derry at their absolute best to be honest, I don't think there are any more levels to their game.  They are structured well but seem to lack any real top class individuals.
Shane McGuigan walks on to any team in Ireland.

marty34

south Derry need to get more points on the scoreboard.

Goals are good, very good but I'm sure Gallagher would be happy to be hitting 17 or 18 points...with 1 goal added in.

screenexile

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 17, 2022, 10:35:12 AM

McGuigan/Rogers/McKaigue/Doherty/McKinless get on any team in Ireland.

Glass not far off either!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2022, 10:53:11 AM

Jesus SE Glass is on that list.

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 17, 2022, 10:55:09 AM

Maybe but I wouldn't say so yet.

I thought Kearns was better than him on Sunday. The Donegal game will be a big test as they have a very good midfield.

JoeSoap

If we are within a point or two at half time I trust our lads to kick on and get the win in the 2nd half. We just can't allow Derry to build up a lead. Goals will be massive in this game. I think Cavan was good preparation for us as I think both sides are excellent defensively and break at pace with good quality up front. Derry are maybe further along than Cavan but I would say Cavan have the edge over Derry in terms of their own kickouts, and we got some joy there when we pushed up.

I think we can't rely on the usual slow possession game because I think Derry will lap that up. We need to get up the field at pace. Need Langan to show how good he is in this game as well. I expect Murphy to spend a lot of time out the field because there won't be any space inside at all and he'll not get a sniff with the bodies that will be in there. Who picks up McKinless is a big big call and I'm not really sure what way we should play it. I feel McFadden-Ferry may be the man for it but hard to know. I don't really like the half back line of EBG, Ryan and Mogan because I think it's too light, but I feel that Bonner won't change it. Caolan Ward, if fit, should start, he has been very good this year. So if McFadden-Ferry comes in, it might be for Shane O'Donnell. Would be harsh on SOD but he struggled against Cavan (as did the whole half forward line). I think Patton has to go long, even if Derry are giving us the short kickout he should still try to get us up the pitch faster. He's good enough to pick out the right man and his kickouts against Cavan were excellent.

But like I say if we're close enough to them going in to the 2nd half I think we will kick on.

I think we're in a handy enough spot, nobody seems to rate us this year and we haven't been firing as well as we can just yet. Armagh were the team to beat, and we did that pulling up. Cavan are miles better than the league position or anyone gave them credit for going into that semi-final, and we got over the line there in a really good match I thought. I think Cavan and Derry are two of the worst match ups for Donegal specifically, they are both well set up to counter our strengths and expose our weaknesses. But I think/hope we have enough quality to see us through. If we get over Derry, I would fancy us to make some noise (finally) in the All-Ireland series.

There's no doubt Derry are coming, but hopefully we can delay their breakthrough one more year.

marty34

Quote from: JoeSoap on May 17, 2022, 11:18:57 AM
If we are within a point or two at half time I trust our lads to kick on and get the win in the 2nd half. We just can't allow Derry to build up a lead. Goals will be massive in this game. I think Cavan was good preparation for us as I think both sides are excellent defensively and break at pace with good quality up front. Derry are maybe further along than Cavan but I would say Cavan have the edge over Derry in terms of their own kickouts, and we got some joy there when we pushed up.

I think we can't rely on the usual slow possession game because I think Derry will lap that up. We need to get up the field at pace. Need Langan to show how good he is in this game as well. I expect Murphy to spend a lot of time out the field because there won't be any space inside at all and he'll not get a sniff with the bodies that will be in there. Who picks up McKinless is a big big call and I'm not really sure what way we should play it. I feel McFadden-Ferry may be the man for it but hard to know. I don't really like the half back line of EBG, Ryan and Mogan because I think it's too light, but I feel that Bonner won't change it. Caolan Ward, if fit, should start, he has been very good this year. So if McFadden-Ferry comes in, it might be for Shane O'Donnell. Would be harsh on SOD but he struggled against Cavan (as did the whole half forward line). I think Patton has to go long, even if Derry are giving us the short kickout he should still try to get us up the pitch faster. He's good enough to pick out the right man and his kickouts against Cavan were excellent.

But like I say if we're close enough to them going in to the 2nd half I think we will kick on.

I think we're in a handy enough spot, nobody seems to rate us this year and we haven't been firing as well as we can just yet. Armagh were the team to beat, and we did that pulling up. Cavan are miles better than the league position or anyone gave them credit for going into that semi-final, and we got over the line there in a really good match I thought. I think Cavan and Derry are two of the worst match ups for Donegal specifically, they are both well set up to counter our strengths and expose our weaknesses. But I think/hope we have enough quality to see us through. If we get over Derry, I would fancy us to make some noise (finally) in the All-Ireland series.

There's no doubt Derry are coming, but hopefully we can delay their breakthrough one more year.

Very little between the two teams last year.  Who has learned the most?

Will the match ups be the same or will either manager throw a curve ball?

Could be cagey enough and be a tactical war.

Gallagher will know more about Donegal than anybody else.

Still think Derry need more points on the scoreboard but they haven't conceded a goal yet and haven't looked likely either - which is a good sign.

JoeSoap

Quote from: marty34 on May 17, 2022, 11:30:46 AM
Quote from: JoeSoap on May 17, 2022, 11:18:57 AM

Very little between the two teams last year.  Who has learned the most?

Will the match ups be the same or will either manager throw a curve ball?

Could be cagey enough and be a tactical war.

Gallagher will know more about Donegal than anybody else.

Still think Derry need more points on the scoreboard but they haven't conceded a goal yet and haven't looked likely either - which is a good sign.

if we match up the same as last year we may as well hand over the Ulster title in the first minute. Ryan was on McKinless last year and it just didn't work at all, trying it again would be madness with the form McKinless is in this year. If McFadden-Ferry doesn't come in for that I have a funny feeling EBG will be put on him.

I'd like McCole to take on McGuigan, I know he got a rough time of it against Lynch the last day out but he's been brilliant all year and I think he's capable of having a great battle with McGuigan there.

Goals will be the big one. If either team raise a green flag while keeping the other out the other end, I think that will be the decisive score. It can be a bit simplistic to say but I think with momentum in the match and everything a goal will just be massive.

Gallagher knows us inside out so I do think Derry have an edge on the line.

JoG2

Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2022, 11:16:14 AM

I thought Kearns was better than him on Sunday. The Donegal game will be a big test as they have a very good midfield.

Kearns definitely out fielded Glass on occasions in the 2nd half, but Glass was by far the stand out midfielder on Sunday. His driving forward, covering, link play all top top level.

It's just brilliant to be in the final and heading down with a  chance of winning. Can't ask for more at this stage. We've the defenders to match up on paper, but anything can happen on the day etc

21 points against Tyrone and Monaghan, you think Derry will need more than 21 points to win??

marty34

Quote from: JoG2 on May 17, 2022, 12:27:10 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2022, 11:16:14 AM

Kearns definitely out fielded Glass on occasions in the 2nd half, but Glass was by far the stand out midfielder on Sunday. His driving forward, covering, link play all top top level.

It's just brilliant to be in the final and heading down with a  chance of winning. Can't ask for more at this stage. We've the defenders to match up on paper, but anything can happen on the day etc

21 points against Tyrone and Monaghan, you think Derry will need more than 21 points to win??

No, but think as time/games go on may be harder to get goals.

18 pts V Tyrone (a poor Tyrone it must be added) and 12 pts V Monaghan.

Goals win matches and all that but I'm sure Gallagher would want more points.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Six of the best fifteen footballers in Ireland are in Derry?

Really?

JoeSoap

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 17, 2022, 12:45:31 PM

Really?

In terms of talent you would say that those 6 lads are as good as any in the country, yes. I think Derry are a great example that there is real top level talent in probably every county in Ireland, you just need the structures in place and the right set up to get the best out of these players.

shawshank

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 17, 2022, 12:45:31 PM

Really?

;D ;D ;D I know, some daftees
Mc Kindless and Mc Guigan, thats it currently. Best of Glass yet to come to. More to surface in the next two seasons, particularly Ethan Doherty. with alot of good footballers developing to put us in a great position over the next five years.