Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on May 18, 2022, 03:11:10 PM
Are Ballykinlar fielding mens team this year?

I remember they were in the East Down Reserve at one stage.

I think County Board also tried to help out with coaching.

Nope not fielding.. Last time they fielded think was in 2018 as far as I can remember

Sandstorm

Over the years I have seen supporters of the game, especially the armchair ones, lose interest and I don't blame them. Why would you want to watch the muck being served up? More importantly, why would you want to train six nights a week just to master the art of fist passing within your own half? Down have nothing to prove to anyone but if other lesser counties want to indulge themselves in this then be my guest - I'll stick to the club scene.

Recently watched the 1968 AI final between Down and Kerry.
Funny how memory can decieve you. I thought it was meant to be a classic but when I saw it I was shocked. Catch the ball in the middle of the field and lump it forward into the 14 yard line and hope for the best. That basically was the tactic.
No plan B.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: African Sunset on May 18, 2022, 12:30:24 PM
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm not surprised to hear fellas are walking away from the county or have no desire to play county football. I have watched Down (and the transformation of the game itself) since the mid 1990s and have always wondered why anyone would be interested in playing Gaelic Football -  particularly when its being played in the fashion adopted by all counties throughout the island.

Men behind the ball, the endless fist passing and goalkeepers running up the park like headless chickens. It's a style which has been willingly embraced by counties who have had little or no success in the last century and were desperate for success but not by playing the game in its orthodox fashion. This new brand of 'football' (if you can call it that) has been encouraged by managers who fancy themselves a bit too much and think they're enlightened thinkers. In reality they are just legends in their own heads.

Down has always been a traditional county and we were reluctant to go along with this craze. Unsurprisingly, this has translated into lack of success at inter county level. There is no aesthetic appeal within Gaelic Football like there once was. Players no longer punt the ball 40 yards into the forward line which, when done successfully, was a thing of beauty to behold particularly when you have corner forwards battling with their marker. Now it's all risk averse and about 'recycling possession'.

Over the years I have seen supporters of the game, especially the armchair ones, lose interest and I don't blame them. Why would you want to watch the muck being served up? More importantly, why would you want to train six nights a week just to master the art of fist passing within your own half? Down have nothing to prove to anyone but if other lesser counties want to indulge themselves in this then be my guest - I'll stick to the club scene.

Have you watched Kilcoo play?

befair

Quote from: African Sunset on May 18, 2022, 12:30:24 PM
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm not surprised to hear fellas are walking away from the county or have no desire to play county football. I have watched Down (and the transformation of the game itself) since the mid 1990s and have always wondered why anyone would be interested in playing Gaelic Football -  particularly when its being played in the fashion adopted by all counties throughout the island.

Men behind the ball, the endless fist passing and goalkeepers running up the park like headless chickens. It's a style which has been willingly embraced by counties who have had little or no success in the last century and were desperate for success but not by playing the game in its orthodox fashion. This new brand of 'football' (if you can call it that) has been encouraged by managers who fancy themselves a bit too much and think they're enlightened thinkers. In reality they are just legends in their own heads.

Down has always been a traditional county and we were reluctant to go along with this craze. Unsurprisingly, this has translated into lack of success at inter county level. There is no aesthetic appeal within Gaelic Football like there once was. Players no longer punt the ball 40 yards into the forward line which, when done successfully, was a thing of beauty to behold particularly when you have corner forwards battling with their marker. Now it's all risk averse and about 'recycling possession'.

Fair points; GAA haven't yet been able to come up with rules to disincentive 15 men behind the ball or conceding kick-outs. Makes the game less interesting to watch or play.

Johnnysboys

St Joseph's win another schools title - at least one school in the county is doing us proud. No coincidence their upturn in fortunes since Poacher joined their ranks.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on May 18, 2022, 11:16:58 PM
St Joseph's win another schools title - at least one school in the county is doing us proud. No coincidence their upturn in fortunes since Poacher joined their ranks.

GAA seems to be number 1 in that school at the minute and it can only benefit Down football. It is great to see and fair play to all working to improve it.

johnnycool

And the Red High you forgot to mention.

Easy mistake to make.

Truth hurts

Quote from: johnnycool on May 19, 2022, 11:17:56 AM

And the Red High you forgot to mention.

Easy mistake to make.

The Red High is doing great work with hurling, will benefit Down in the future.

They should be McRory though

outinfront

Yeah what's with all them other schools not doing us proud?

BigRipper89

Down Seniors with a good win last night over sligo in a friendly. Good starting point, maybe having the lads left over who actually want to play for down could make all the difference with workrate and effort, when we obviosuly will be short on top class talent.

Truth hurts

Quote from: BigRipper89 on May 19, 2022, 02:49:31 PM
Down Seniors with a good win last night over sligo in a friendly. Good starting point, maybe having the lads left over who actually want to play for down could make all the difference with workrate and effort, when we obviosuly will be short on top class talent.

Any word of the team??

rafla ta se

Quote from: Truth hurts on May 18, 2022, 09:40:48 AM
Looking at this week's fixtures: Bryansford v RGU and Carryduff v CPN look to be massive games. The top 4 split and relegation thereafter is going to be a dog fight.
Ford v Rgu be interesting tomorrow night. some rumurs doing the rounds today about rgu set up. Big Deegans will be keeping a close eye

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: rafla ta se on May 19, 2022, 04:32:12 PM
Looking at this week's fixtures: Bryansford v RGU and Carryduff v CPN look to be massive games. The top 4 split and relegation thereafter is going to be a dog fight.
Ford v Rgu be interesting tomorrow night. some rumurs doing the rounds today about rgu set up. Big Deegans will be keeping a close eye

Tell us more!!

rosskarr

Good man Karl!

rafla ta se

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on May 19, 2022, 06:52:55 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on May 18, 2022, 09:40:48 AMo m

Tell us more!!
no mooney to the rescue now. down they go again