Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

I think 2 down and 2 up with 3rd last playing the 3rd highest in div 2 for a playoff.
You could do the same the following year and that would be the leagues sorted again. I think this would be the fairest as you won't get the teams at the bottom of the leagues agreeing on it. Teams like The Town, Ballyholland, Rostrevor, Bryansford, and Loughinisland will not vote for it.

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 25, 2022, 09:43:58 AM
I think 2 down and 2 up with 3rd last playing the 3rd highest in div 2 for a playoff.
You could do the same the following year and that would be the leagues sorted again. I think this would be the fairest as you won't get the teams at the bottom of the leagues agreeing on it. Teams like The Town, Ballyholland, Rostrevor, Bryansford, and Loughinisland will not vote for it.

How does that system see 3 teams down and 2 teams up?

——

It doesn't matter if all of D1 votes against it! It'll still carry as a result of the clubs that are not affected, and the county board block vote.

——

4 teams down in one season is too many. It's actually a double whammy for as well as being relegated, you're entering a D2 the following season with 3 other D1 "residents" also looking to go straight back up.

I could foresee absolute oodles of late postponements, while clubs do what they can to get their best available XV on the field. It would be the year of the contrived Covid breakout on Thursdays.

Truth hurts

Will Gilligan step up on manage Kilcoo when Moran leaves or will they go for a new regime? It would be great for Mickey to bow out with the all elusive All-Ireland title.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on January 25, 2022, 09:54:57 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 25, 2022, 09:43:58 AM

How does that system see 3 teams down and 2 teams up?

——

It doesn't matter if all of D1 votes against it! It'll still carry as a result of the clubs that are not affected, and the county board block vote.

——

4 teams down in one season is too many. It's actually a double whammy for as well as being relegated, you're entering a D2 the following season with 3 other D1 "residents" also looking to go straight back up.

I could foresee absolute oodles of late postponements, while clubs do what they can to get their best available XV on the field. It would be the year of the contrived Covid breakout on Thursdays.

What system would you prefer?

thewobbler

You're suggesting 2 down and 2 up, with a further playoff between a D1 and D2 club. That makes 3 up, 3 down, and 12 teams in D1 next year again.

—-

Btw when we are aiming for 10 teams in D1, there is not a whole lot of point in finding ways to get the teams in 3rd or 4th in a 12-team D2 an opportunity/playoff to get into D1. Speaking from experience throughout the noughties, when you're the 15th-16th best team in the county, D1 isn't your level.

upandwin

Surely the county board will decide on 3 down this year and next year. I think it'll be a manic season in Div 1 with any number of potential candidates to go down. It'll be between Castlewellan, Rostrevor, L'Island and Ballyholland or Warrenpoint IMO. Town and Reds have a massive task in front of them but any of the more established teams can be dragged in to the dogfight.

What are the predictions for Saturday's games? I fancy Kilcoo by 2 and Down to get a draw in Owenbeg

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on January 25, 2022, 10:03:11 AM
You're suggesting 2 down and 2 up, with a further playoff between a D1 and D2 club. That makes 3 up, 3 down, and 12 teams in D1 next year again.

—-

Btw when we are aiming for 10 teams in D1, there is not a whole lot of point in finding ways to get the teams in 3rd or 4th in a 12-team D2 an opportunity/playoff to get into D1. Speaking from experience throughout the noughties, when you're the 15th-16th best team in the county, D1 isn't your level.

apologies i would like it to go to 11 teams in div 1 in 2023

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on January 25, 2022, 10:24:55 AM
Surely the county board will decide on 3 down this year and next year. I think it'll be a manic season in Div 1 with any number of potential candidates to go down. It'll be between Castlewellan, Rostrevor, L'Island and Ballyholland or Warrenpoint IMO. Town and Reds have a massive task in front of them but any of the more established teams can be dragged in to the dogfight.

What are the predictions for Saturday's games? I fancy Kilcoo by 2 and Down to get a draw in Owenbeg

Warrenpoint? Last year's leagues winners??

upandwin

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 25, 2022, 10:34:42 AM

Yep...was a very poor SFC campaign from them and heard they have a number of lads not committing this year...think they could be dragged in to a battle unless there's a number of young lads that are ready to step up...

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on January 25, 2022, 04:28:24 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 25, 2022, 10:34:42 AM

Yep...was a very poor SFC campaign from them and heard they have a number of lads not committing this year...think they could be dragged in to a battle unless there's a number of young lads that are ready to step up...

Who is not committing? I ma not sure they would have great youth coming through as never seem to be in the all-county league

Johnnysboys

Have to say I dread this year from a club perspective.. Think we could really struggle. Our best with this group is behind us for sure, it's now about blooding a few lads for the future. Think we will see a few youthful players at times this year with the elder statesmen resting up for the championship..

wobbller

Quote from: Johnnysboys on January 25, 2022, 10:43:08 PM
Have to say I dread this year from a club perspective.. Think we could really struggle. Our best with this group is behind us for sure, it's now about blooding a few lads for the future. Think we will see a few youthful players at times this year with the elder statesmen resting up for the championship..
Elder Statesmen is a term that could only be used to describe older Kilcoo players not any other elder ordinary Club footballers.

upandwin

Any announcement on the squad travelling to Owenbeg Saturday eve?

BigRipper89

No squad seen anywhere yet. Anyone brave enough to take a stab at the starting team.

R. Burns
G. Collins
C. Mc Cartan
N.McParland
D. O hagan
A. Doherty
C. Mooney
B. Ohagan
K.Mc Kernan

All sure to start i would say.

O.murdock
T. Close
F. Mc Ilroy
D. Gilly
R. Mc Cormick
P. Fegan
T. Rushe
J. Mc Cartan
C. O Rawe
R. Higgans
D. Murtagh
J. Connery

Could be a nice mixture of experience and youth. Depending on whos injured etc.

rosskarr

Good news here.Two home games and one away game starting this Saturday plus a home Hurling fixture.'

https://www.gaa.ie/news/bbc-sport-ni-to-livestream-gaa-allianz-league-matches/

Saturday 29 January – Derry v Down (Division Two Football) 6pm
Saturday 5 February - Down v Galway (Division Two Football) 5pm
Saturday 12 February - Antrim v Dublin (Division One Hurling) 2pm
Saturday 19 February - Armagh v Monaghan (Division One Football) 530pm
Saturday 26 February - Down v Roscommon (Division Two Football) 5pm
Saturday 12 March - Armagh v Kildare (Division One Football) 6pm
Saturday 19 March - Down v Kerry (Division Two Hurling) 2pm