Championship Draws RTÉ2 7-30pm

Started by drici, October 04, 2012, 12:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Cavan get the annual preliminary round draw...

theticklemister

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 04, 2012, 09:08:46 PM

Thats the rules........

The team with the most Ulster Championships have to begin in the preliminary round every year, as they are the best and it is only fair to the rest of the other counties ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ross4life

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 04, 2012, 08:39:10 PM
As much as I would love to Beal Bocht this, but unless at least one other team and hopefully at least 2 other teams in Connacht improve alot, Mayo should walk this.

Yeah like how you walked the last two Connacht finals. Word of warning Alan Mulholland did better in his 2nd year with the Galway minors,U21s.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

rodney trotter

Quote from: theticklemister on October 04, 2012, 09:11:50 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 04, 2012, 09:08:46 PM

Thats the rules........

The team with the most Ulster Championships have to begin in the preliminary round every year, as they are the best and it is only fair to the rest of the other counties ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ah i wouldn't say that, unless you are living in the Clouds, Donegal won back to back Ulster titles in the last 2 year via the premlinary round. I thought the Rule was, they would come out again and give Cavan another hammering.

cadence

Quote from: theticklemister on October 04, 2012, 08:33:04 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on October 04, 2012, 08:30:48 PM
Anyone got the full draw for ulster?

donegal/tyrone v derry/down

v

cavan/armagh v fermanagh
antrim v monaghan

few shillings on monaghan to make the final you'd have to say.

babarino

Agree, definitely the easy side and Monaghan will learn from the 2nd half collapse in the semi this year.

rodney trotter

Quote from: babarino on October 04, 2012, 10:16:21 PM

Agree, definitely the easy side and Monaghan will learn from the 2nd half collapse in the semi this year.

Monaghan struggled past Antrim last year, who were without CJ McGourty. Wouldn't think that far ahead.

BallyhaiseMan

Home draw against Armagh???
Better than the last two draws,but Armagh will fancy their chances  though as despite the Roscommon second half collapse,they have been playing at a far higher standard than us over the last number of years. We will be up against it again.
The Orchard boys will be loving that draw, Cavan, Fermanagh, and one of Monaghan/Antrim to get into an Ulster Final.

Onlooker

Kerry v. Tipperary - 1st Round for the 4th year in a row.  What did we do to the Munster Council guys that they did that to us again. >:( >:( >:(

theticklemister

Quote from: Onlooker on October 04, 2012, 10:40:05 PM
Kerry v. Tipperary - 1st Round for the 4th year in a row.  What did we do to the Munster Council guys that they did that to us again. >:( >:( >:(

look at in another way...................yer only one game away from a final!

moysider

As much as I would love to Beal Bocht this, but unless at least one other team and hopefully at least 2 other teams in Connacht improve alot, Mayo should walk this.

Alot may change and probably will in the meantime, but as of now I would much rather have Donegal, Tyrone, Dublin, Kerry or Cork in the first round.

Not sure what you mean by above?

Mayo away to Galway.

A Mayo final with Ros would be in Castlebar.

Only in 97 do I remember Mayo defending Connacht after a loss in an AI final. Hopefully we ll be able to avoid early back door but if we need to go down that road there ll be no excuses.

Hopefully Andy will be back and we should be a better outfit again next year - we could have been better than we were in final 2 weeks ago - and it s unlikely that management will be as indulgent again. Injuries aside, I d expect at least 3 changes from team that started v Donegal to team that will play Galway in next years Championship. And we ll be a better team as a result.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on October 04, 2012, 09:12:44 PM

Yeah like how you walked the last two Connacht finals. Word of warning Alan Mulholland did better in his 2nd year with the Galway minors,U21s.

I hope you are correct, I hope the other Connacht teams are able to give us 3 games where they push us to the very edge but we get over the line. I don't want us to stroll through, I don't want us to go out because of complacency or one of the other teams to actually become better than us. I want the other teams to be as good as any of the top teams but just short of us. Whats wrong with that?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2012, 11:13:45 PM

Alot may change and probably will in the meantime, but as of now I would much rather have Donegal, Tyrone, Dublin, Kerry or Cork in the first round.

Not sure what you mean by above?

Mayo away to Galway.

A Mayo final with Ros would be in Castlebar.

Only in 97 do I remember Mayo defending Connacht after a loss in an AI final. Hopefully we ll be able to avoid early back door but if we need to go down that road there ll be no excuses.

Hopefully Andy will be back and we should be a better outfit again next year - we could have been better than we were in final 2 weeks ago - and it s unlikely that management will be as indulgent again. Injuries aside, I d expect at least 3 changes from team that started v Donegal to team that will play Galway in next years Championship. And we ll be a better team as a result.

With Galway not being anywhere near the equal opponent they used to be, with Roscommon not yet back to that level (but coming) and with Sligo only able to give us a half a game (IMO), would it not be a more useful to get a huge challenge to start with. You have to beat these teams at some stage, why not at the start.

Yes I know form may change, yes I know tactics, training, injuries, new players, retirements will all make next year different from today. I am just basing it on current circumstances.

Syferus

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 04, 2012, 11:20:34 PM

I hope you are correct, I hope the other Connacht teams are able to give us 3 games where they push us to the very edge but we get over the line. I don't want us to stroll through, I don't want us to go out because of complacency or one of the other teams to actually become better than us. I want the other teams to be as good as any of the top teams but just short of us. Whats wrong with that?

The last time Mayo completed a three-in-a-row? 1950.

That's the standard you need to be at to do it, for all the jibes the Connacht championship remains one of the most difficult provincial titles to hold onto for any length of time. For me it feels like we're either going to have a different name on the Nestor Cup in 2013 or Mayo are going to have their most serious stab at the AI since 1996.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2012, 11:27:46 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 04, 2012, 11:20:34 PM

The last time Mayo completed a three-in-a-row? 1950.

That's the standard you need to be at to do it, for all the jibes the Connacht championship remains one of the most difficult provincial titles to hold onto for any length of time. For it feels like we're either going to have a different name on the Nestor Cup in 2013 or Mayo are going to have their most serious stab at the AI since 1996.

I don't intend any disrespect to the other Connacht counties when I say what I say. I would love to see a Galway and Roscommon at the top table with us and a Sligo and Leitrim able to be major contenders for Connacht (you have to say based on the draw that is true for Sligo this year). I want London's upward progession to continue and New York to strenghten. I want it to benefit all Connacht teams but especially Mayo and deliver an All-Ireland or two very soon to Mayo and maybe a neighbour thereafter.