Fab 50 2011

Started by Billys Boots, November 30, 2011, 09:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Saw this on the RTE website, and wondered if we were interested in doing it this year; we haven't done it since 2007 I think.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/1128/fannngd.html
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 30, 2011, 09:31:01 AM
Saw this on the RTE website, and wondered if we were interested in doing it this year; we haven't done it since 2007 I think.

I thought for a minute you were turning 50. ;). Funny though I was thinking we hadn't done one of these on ages and that it might be a good idea. "Blame it all on my roots...."

Billys Boots

A while to go yet - ye bollix.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mayo4Sam

I'll presume we're doing 5 of each, song & album. Here's mine, in no particular order and probably biased to this year

Oasis- Definitely maybe
Stones Roses- Stone roses
The National - high violet
Arcade Fire- Neon bible
kings of Leon - Only by the night

The national - terrible love
Stone Roses - I am the resurrection
arcade Fire - intervention
Lana Del Rey - video games
Snow Patrol - this isn't everything you are
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

thejuice

So, do you mean we do a GAAboard Fab 50 or we all submit our songs to David Fanning?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Doogie Browser

Quote from: thejuice on November 30, 2011, 02:53:03 PM

So, do you mean we do a GAAboard Fab 50 or we all submit our songs to David Fanning?
It was a board Fab 50 always.

Billys Boots

Yeah, it's our own Fab 50.  Nothing stopping you submitting choices to Dave Fanning either though.

thejuice

Well I wouldn't bother with Fanning. U2, Radiohead or Oasis aren't in any Top3/5/10 whatever  I would compile. I suppose the same could be said of this board too.  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Billys Boots

You'd be surprised ...  :P

heganboy

Remember fanning used to do a countdown - maybe it was new Year's eve and Bad by U2 won it 3 or 4 years in a row
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: thejuice on November 30, 2011, 05:08:18 PM
Well I wouldn't bother with Fanning. U2, Radiohead or Oasis aren't in any Top3/5/10 whatever  I would compile. I suppose the same could be said of this board too.  ;)
Hardly our fault if you have brutal taste in music  :P
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Billys Boots

Quote from: heganboy on November 30, 2011, 05:27:19 PM
Remember fanning used to do a countdown - maybe it was new Year's eve and Bad by U2 won it 3 or 4 years in a row

Yes, the history is that the countdown was in the lead-up to Christmas with the No.1 being the last song on Christmas Eve - there have been many good No.1s, including: "A Forest - The Cure", "How soon is now? - The Smiths" and "11 o'clock, tick-tock - U2" in the early days.  It had been taken over by U2 in the latter years when it became a bit boring.

We tended here to follow the tradition, with the No.1 being announced on Christmas Eve usually - at one stage we even did a Fab 50 movies (when AZ didn't have as many responsibilities as the poor fellah does now).  ;)

Shamrock Shore

Can I lead the charge with the Wayne Country and the Electric Chairs classic?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 01, 2011, 08:58:28 AM
Quote from: heganboy on November 30, 2011, 05:27:19 PM

Yes, the history is that the countdown was in the lead-up to Christmas with the No.1 being the last song on Christmas Eve - there have been many good No.1s, including: "A Forest - The Cure", "How soon is now? - The Smiths" and "11 o'clock, tick-tock - U2" in the early days.  It had been taken over by U2 in the latter years when it became a bit boring.

We tended here to follow the tradition, with the No.1 being announced on Christmas Eve usually - at one stage we even did a Fab 50 movies (when AZ didn't have as many responsibilities as the poor fellah does now).  ;)

I was thinking of resurrecting the movies one actually. Any interest?