Club Hurling in Armagh

Started by Applesisapples, August 10, 2010, 04:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Mr.T on September 17, 2010, 09:43:01 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 17, 2010, 08:33:24 AM
Quote from: bredaghgael86 on September 17, 2010, 01:02:56 AM
I ask cause i wondered who will represent armagh in the intermediate year then. I know keady will now play in the senior ulster leaving a spot free.
Keady - Senior
Cuhullains-Intermediate
Craobh Rua-Junior

Are you sure about that ??? - I thought its just Keady in senior and Craobh Rua are in Intermediate. - i though u could only enter 3 teams if you have 3 competitions like in down (ards teams in senior, bredagh in inter, and clonduff in junior). - i'm not 100% but thats the way i though it worked.

BTW thanks for the 'report' on the junior final - u could get a job in the News Letter with extensive GAA reporting like that ;) :D
The reason Keady go into the Ulster senior is because they won the Ulster intermediate in 08 and must compete in senior for two years. They lost in the final to middletown last year and so Middletown played intermediate with Armagh having no representative in the Senior and Sean Treacy's played in the Junior. Second teams can't play Ulster hence the beaten finalists Camlough represent Armagh in the Junior ulster and as Keady are in Senior Cuchullains fly the intermediate flag.

as to my report on the Junior Final, Camlough tried hard but Keady just had the edge on the scoring front. Fiachra Bradley being their biggest scoring threat was pretty anonymous, for a number of reasons partly his own faillure to go looking ball, partly the poor ball being played in and partly Keady's tactics. Derrynoose should have beaten Keady in the semi, I don't know what happened there Michael Lennon didn't start and Nial McKee is a big loss to them as well. There appears to be a gap between Derrynoose, Lurgan and the rest in Division 2.

Mr.T

Going by that then, i'd say Cuchullains would have the best chance of the 3 to progress in ulster. i'd say keady wouldn't compete agains the like of antrim or down winners.

as to the junior final, i think camlough were always going to be relying on fiachra. also heard paul cunningham was injured, so they would have been up aginst it.

Regarding keady II / derrynoose, i though d'noose would have beat them too, but i'm also surprised m'town II didnt beat keady II.
From the limited hurling i see, i would have picked m'twn, d'noose & keady in that order to come through that side of the draw.

Are lurgan not still in div 1? or did they go straight back down again? - but yes, there would be a gap between them & d'noose and the like of c'lough and kileavy
I pity the fool!

Applesisapples

Middletown II and Keady II drew and Middletown couldn't field in the replay for some reason. You would have expected Derrynoose to have won the Junior pretty easily this year with Lurgan playing Senior but wasn't to be. Keady II were no great shakes and it is a surprise that Derrynoose lost. As I said Michael Lennon did not start the replay I can only presume he was injured as he is a good player.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 17, 2010, 02:57:09 PM
As I said Michael Lennon did not start the replay I can only presume he was injured as he is a good player.

Did he not line out midfield, no. 9 - yellow helmet???

I personally felt derrynoose were unlucky  (;)) to lose in the semi
Its all about the Hurling.

Applesisapples

No apparently not, so I'm told as I said we can only presume a player of his calibre must have been injured.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I heard coleraine have been NOMINATED in Derry to represent Derry at junior without even playing a championship match! Think thery are to play Armagh champs. Now they cant play because they are in senior football on same day and want match brought forward so that Mc Goldricks etc can play. Where else but Derry.

Mr.T

yeah Fear BnS, heard that coleraine play camlough on sat 2nd oct. is their football final on on the 3rd?
I pity the fool!

Applesisapples

Quote from: Mr.T on September 20, 2010, 02:03:41 PM
yeah Fear BnS, heard that coleraine play camlough on sat 2nd oct. is their football final on on the 3rd?
Where at?

Mr.T

I think its in armagh, so prob cross. (assuming the athletic grounds are still closed)
I pity the fool!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Thats right Mr T. They have football next day. If I was Camlough I would have stuck to my guns and asked to play game on original date which was 3rd. These guys in Coleraine get away with murder in Derry now it appears that they are at the same craic in Ulster

Mr.T

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 20, 2010, 09:58:05 PM
Thats right Mr T. They have football next day. If I was Camlough I would have stuck to my guns and asked to play game on original date which was 3rd. These guys in Coleraine get away with murder in Derry now it appears that they are at the same craic in Ulster

Do u think the big guns will play or be rested for the football. - i'd imagine they would make some difference to their hurling team?
I pity the fool!

Applesisapples

Quote from: Mr.T on September 21, 2010, 01:51:18 PM

Do u think the big guns will play or be rested for the football. - i'd imagine they would make some difference to their hurling team?
Two of the McGoldricks are committed hurlers with the club, a third can take it or leave it. The football club calls the shots though so they may be missing.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 21, 2010, 02:19:00 PM
Quote from: Mr.T on September 21, 2010, 01:51:18 PM

Two of the McGoldricks are committed hurlers with the club, a third can take it or leave it. The football club calls the shots though so they may be missing.

I dont know if they will play. That said the Mc Goldricks they are not the clubs best hurlers, although the best guys also play football, basically they have maybe 8 on football team who are on hurling team-most have Ulster medals for their county, if they play and I dont mean to be disrespectful Craobh Rua will get whipped badly. They dont have much in reserve outside the guys that play football-should have went for match on 3rd to be sure.

whiskeysteve

Sorry for launching into a thread for Armagh hurling but...

how so? how and when have our hurlers got off with murder?

and how in under f**k do you expect it to be reasonable to ask our hurling team to play an Ulster junior hurling championship in Armagh on the same day as our footballers play in a Derry senior football final in Celtic Park??

If you see that as anything other than a non-runner you are a complete loon.

And no, not one single footballer is gonna pick up a stick and play a hurling cship match the day before a derry football final either.

I would have thought that was not only reasonable but pretty f**king advisable  :D. 'Where else but derry' eh?

Other wee quirks to your lunacy - our nomination before playing a game... Derry has 2 lower tier clubs, Eoghan Rua and Na Magha. There are also 2 lower tier levels in GAA, intermediate and junior. So what do you know, each club gets nominated for Ulster before they play a cship match, same as last year, and the year before that, and the year before that....

'most have ulster county medals'... sean leo mcg and niall holly have ulster u21 medals. thats it.

'the mcgoldricks are not the clubs best hurlers'... more nonsense...

'They dont have much in reserve outside the guys that play football'... bang on the money, well done sir. this is true, we can struggle to field without them.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 21, 2010, 06:47:00 PM
Sorry for launching into a thread for Armagh hurling but...

how so? how and when have our hurlers got off with murder?

and how in under f**k do you expect it to be reasonable to ask our hurling team to play an Ulster junior hurling championship in Armagh on the same day as our footballers play in a Derry senior football final in Celtic Park??

If you see that as anything other than a non-runner you are a complete loon.

And no, not one single footballer is gonna pick up a stick and play a hurling cship match the day before a derry football final either.

I would have thought that was not only reasonable but pretty f**king advisable  :D. 'Where else but derry' eh?

Other wee quirks to your lunacy - our nomination before playing a game... Derry has 2 lower tier clubs, Eoghan Rua and Na Magha. There are also 2 lower tier levels in GAA, intermediate and junior. So what do you know, each club gets nominated for Ulster before they play a cship match, same as last year, and the year before that, and the year before that....

'most have ulster county medals'... sean leo mcg and niall holly have ulster u21 medals. thats it.

'the mcgoldricks are not the clubs best hurlers'... more nonsense...

'They dont have much in reserve outside the guys that play football'... bang on the money, well done sir. this is true, we can struggle to field without them.

Oh Dear Whisky Steve-its true what they say whiskey makes you aggressive! If you are a dual club why couldnt they play same day??Why should everyone suffer because you are stretched? A true hurler would rather swing ash than watch the big ball any day
Nobody mentioned your hurlers getting away with murder or cant you read -probably not you are probably pissed on whiskey :D If each club gets nominated why werent Na Magha nominated at any level, its a small province and word travels fast. Maybe I have been misinformed on county medals but the other guys  are still good and at least another 2 have played for county at senior.
Young Rafferty and Holly better than Mc Goldricks I heard.