Mountbatten memorial sparks row in Donegal

Started by Minder, August 27, 2009, 01:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

A row has broken out in Donegal over council plans to erect a memorial to Lord Mountbatten and the other victims of the Mullaghmore bombing.
Four people, including two children, died when the IRA detonated a bomb on his boat off the coast of Sligo thirty years ago.
Sinn Féin have said they oppose the monument because it would be wrong to single out any one incident.
But the Fianna Fáil Mayor of Donegal, Brendan Byrne, says it should go ahead.
"As mayor of Donegal I'm not erecting a memorial to a member of the British Royal family.
"I'm erecting a monument to the four people who perished needlessly, senselessly, as Mullaghmore some 30 years ago."
Eighteen British soldiers were killed later that day when two booby-trap bombs exploded beside Narrow Water Castle near Warrenpoint in County Down.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on August 27, 2009, 01:27:56 PM
A row has broken out in Donegal over council plans to erect a memorial to Lord Mountbatten and the other victims of the Mullaghmore bombing.
Four people, including two children, died when the IRA detonated a bomb on his boat off the coast of Sligo thirty years ago.
Sinn Féin have said they oppose the monument because it would be wrong to single out any one incident.
"As mayor of Donegal I'm not erecting a memorial to a member of the British Royal family.
"I'm erecting a monument to the four people who perished needlessly, senselessly, as Mullaghmore some 30 years ago."
Eighteen British soldiers were killed later that day when two booby-trap bombs exploded beside Narrow Water Castle near Warrenpoint in County Down.
Well at least their opposition has got nothing to do with the background of the victims  ::)

Quote from: thewobbler on August 27, 2009, 01:29:15 PM
Isn't Mullaghmore in Sligo?
Yes, Mullaghmore is in Sligo as far as I know so it seems a strange location for a memorial.

tyronefan

Obviously Donegal Co. Co. doesn't have the same money problems that the rest of the county councils seem to have.

'm sure that they could find better things to do with their money at the minute

orangeman

Quote from: tyronefan on August 27, 2009, 01:36:39 PM
Obviously Donegal Co. Co. doesn't have the same money problems that the rest of the county councils seem to have.

'm sure that they could find better things to do with their money at the minute

They could subsidise the Donegal firms who lost out to 2 Northern Ireland firms for building an army barracks and the supply of fruit and veg to hospitals in Doengal.

gallsman

Was his castle not in Donegal? I think he used just Mullaghmore for the boats, don't think he lived round it.

Zapatista

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on August 27, 2009, 01:59:52 PM
Was his castle not in Donegal? I think he used just Mullaghmore for the boats, don't think he lived round it.

Classiebawn Castle is in Sligo, right beside Mullaghmore.

Son_of_Sam

Doesn't some of the Mountbatten family still live in Mayo.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Zapatista on August 27, 2009, 02:30:45 PM
Is there a memorial to Eddie Fullerton?
He doesn't qualify as he was not from the arisotocracy, stupid idea from Donegal Co Co, they should have more pressing concerns to be getting on with.

thejuice

By the way the History channel has a documentary about him tonight 9pm, repeated several times over the weekend.

What was his legacy in Pakistan and India, is he rembered fondly there, I remember reading ages ago someone attacking his reputation regarding there?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 27, 2009, 01:33:11 PM
Well at least their opposition has got nothing to do with the background of the victims  ::)

Quote from: thewobbler on August 27, 2009, 01:29:15 PM
Isn't Mullaghmore in Sligo?
Yes, Mullaghmore is in Sligo as far as I know so it seems a strange location for a memorial.

Using that logic there should be no 1916 commemerations.
MWWSI 2017

Evil Genius

So SF have never supported memorials to any Republican who died in a "single incident", then?
http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/28361

Bitter, hypocritical c***ts.  >:(

Contrast that with the reaction of some of the legitimate targets innocent victims who perished in the atrocity, such as the father of Paul Maxwell (the 15 year old Irish boy holidaying locally who was invited by Mountbatten to help out on the boat). The vermin who murdered his son undoubtedly knew that he was on Board, yet still went ahead. Meanwhile, his bereaved father has dedicated himself to fostering peace and reconciliation in Ireland, including being a major force behind an integrated school in Enniskillen.

Or consider the humanity of Timothy Knatchbull, the 14 year old who was seriously injured along with his parents, in an explosion which robbed him of his identical twin brother, two Grandparents and his friend Paul:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6806272.ece

It is little wonder that the Shinners are desperate not to be reminded of this atrocity, since deep down they know that not even they can justify the utter barbarism which they deliberately inflicted on entirely innocent human beings.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 03:05:17 PM
So SF have never supported memorials to any Republican who died in a "single incident", then?

Contrast that with the reaction of some of the legitimate targets innocent victims who perished in the atrocity, such as the father of Paul Maxwell (the 15 year old Irish boy holidaying locally who was invited by Mountbatten to help out on the boat). The vermin who murdered his son undoubtedly knew that he was on Board, yet still went ahead. Meanwhile, his bereaved father has dedicated himself to fostering peace and reconciliation in Ireland, including being a major force behind an integrated school in Enniskillen.

Or consider the humanity of Timothy Knatchbull, the 14 year old who was seriously injured along with his parents, in an explosion which robbed him of his identical twin brother, two Grandparents and his friend Paul:

It is little wonder that the Shinners are desperate not to be reminded of this atrocity, since deep down they know that not even they can justify the utter barbarism which they deliberately inflicted on entirely innocent human beings.

These butchers Loyalist or Republican not alone think they have a right to kill the so called other side but can murder their own in a cause that only a deluded view believe in. Trust me there are many other Nationalist & Unionists who have differing views & also valid, we don't murder for them. I am a nationalist with alot of questions how a United Ireland will affect me, my family, my friends, my area, my county, my province. That sence of community is what makes us Irish no matter if we nationalist or unionist. I want a United Ireland by the way, but I am far from ready for it.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 27, 2009, 03:05:17 PM

I think you will find that it was the IRA that did this, dont think that sf were even around at that time - though could be wrong..

terrible that people were killed, however unless the memorial is a small and financially cheap plaque or somthing, it is a bit much to be shelling out dosh for that when the country's coffers are empty !