Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

Quote from: Ciall on January 24, 2022, 03:12:51 AM
Quote from: delgany on January 23, 2022, 06:04:54 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2022, 03:19:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 22, 2022, 10:01:48 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on January 22, 2022, 09:57:04 PM
Antrim u-17 management team having to beg £100 per club in Antrim. Same old Antrim ?

What's the normal process for funding?
Run the County board like a business to generate sufficient income to cover all your overheads without taking it out of clubs.

This request wasnt sanctioned  by county board.
100 % Fit and proper governance.

According to the management; Director of Hurling was well aware it was due to happen, who then changed his mind as clubs kicked up stink...
Don't necessarily agree with asking clubs when we already pay a levy, but (again, according to management) the DOH was chopping away at the proposed monetary plans including the team bonding weekend. Money must be managed so we don't go bankrupt, but I'd hope there's been enough income being generated with sponsorships, championships/streams, SBF & ONeills kickbacks to allow a minor team the chance to run properly.

What was the total cost of the training weekend do you know?

Ciall

Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 24, 2022, 01:35:52 PM
Quote from: Ciall on January 24, 2022, 03:12:51 AM
Quote from: delgany on January 23, 2022, 06:04:54 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2022, 03:19:35 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 22, 2022, 10:01:48 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on January 22, 2022, 09:57:04 PM
Antrim u-17 management team having to beg £100 per club in Antrim. Same old Antrim ?

What's the normal process for funding?
Run the County board like a business to generate sufficient income to cover all your overheads without taking it out of clubs.

This request wasnt sanctioned  by county board.
100 % Fit and proper governance.

According to the management; Director of Hurling was well aware it was due to happen, who then changed his mind as clubs kicked up stink...
Don't necessarily agree with asking clubs when we already pay a levy, but (again, according to management) the DOH was chopping away at the proposed monetary plans including the team bonding weekend. Money must be managed so we don't go bankrupt, but I'd hope there's been enough income being generated with sponsorships, championships/streams, SBF & ONeills kickbacks to allow a minor team the chance to run properly.

What was the total cost of the training weekend do you know?

Not 100% certain, Think I remember 5k being thrown about. Was due to include an overnight stay in Tipp with a game or special guest session, then across next day to have a game in Kilkenny & watch the senior hurlers in League. Again, don't quote me on the total cost.

Lord Antrim

Just read that BBC will be streaming Antrim game against Dublin in league
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/60138856

johnnycool

Quote from: Ciall on January 21, 2022, 09:53:33 AM
Quote from: Tyrdub on January 21, 2022, 09:20:19 AM
Quote from: Ciall on January 20, 2022, 11:32:28 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on January 20, 2022, 08:31:09 AM
Quote from: Ciall on January 19, 2022, 07:49:08 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 19, 2022, 02:36:57 PM
Quote from: Ciall on January 19, 2022, 12:46:17 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 19, 2022, 09:06:28 AM
hear the Derry clubs looking back into juvenile and reserve leagues, be a good move for everyone that.

Agreed! There's a vast contrast in ability level within the leagues so this helps even it out a bit more. I think the external counties in our senior hurling leagues are badly needed kept too! I heard tell there was discussions as to whether they should be "kept in." Would be disastrous if they were removed! Eg St Galls and Sarsfields in Div 2 sit well at their level- if we remove the Down teams (for example) from Div 1, you end up with a lot  of mismatches in Div 1 and a waste of time for everyone concerned.
I'd actually suggest pushing to get Slaughtneil etc into our league also to help push our top 4/5 teams on!

yes , 100% right, but heard the chairman not keen on outside clubs

I know he's chair and puts a fair amount of time into it I'm sure, but how could he possibly push through his own agenda without discussing with clubs? Did he even hurl? Or even hurl to a decent level to understand the need to for competitive games rather than drummings? I'd be disappointed to see something like that become real.
Now that is a ridiculous statement. Do you need to play to know what a team needs? Plenty of managers  who have won top level competitions but have never won them as a player.

I didn't ask has he won something. Well aware of successful managers backgrounds.
The point I'm making is- if he hurled for NE in his time, it'll have been at a low standard, likely then without the ards teams or other teams in the league, therefore not knowing the benefit of having these teams in our league. If he's willing to make crass statements and potentially decisions about removing external teams from our leagues, without consulting with players/managers in the leagues affected, them he'd need to have experienced it himself- hence my question! I know now he hasn't, and shouldn't be making calls like that without some form of consultation.

Imagine Leinster didn't allow our hurlers into their league/championship through the years, wed have been complaining all the same.

Away and get your head felt lad, CMcC is a very intelligent man, I think he would have the wherewithal to consult others. I can't see him going on a solo run with something like this.
As for having to have experienced it himself before making this decision, ffs give him some credit. Your statement is akin to not letting lower league clubs send players forward to county teams due them not being of a required standard, if that's the case then Nicky English would never have worn the blue and gold jersey.

As for Leinster....for years they didnt allow us into any of their leagues, juvenile included. Currently they won't allow us to play any games at home, you sure you want to hold at this high standard you're portraying them to be?

If you know the man- which is seeming like you do- then you'd be well aware he loves a solo run! Again- you're not reading what I'm asking and looking stupid in the process. I never said him playing lower league stops him playing county, I said it wouldn't have allowed him to experience the external teams coming into the league.
Regarding your Leinster statement, if we want to play in Leinster then we should have no problem travelling- we have no right to walk into a league/championship and demand home games etc.

Do you support his views on removing the external teams from our leagues then??

Early soundings are that we're not getting the U17's into the Antrim leagues which is disappointing to say the least.

Turns out CMcC rules the roost with an iron rod and gets his way!

imtommygunn

That's disappointing JC.

Last Man

One thing you have to understand about the man is that he doesn't do procrastination. In my experience he always consults and trys to achieve concensus but he will not wait for the perfect solution as he will always look to box an issue off and move on. Whats wrong with that?

Tony Baloney

What is the downside for Antrim hurling by letting teams from adjacent counties join the league structure?

Saffrongael

Quote from: johnnycool on February 01, 2022, 08:55:12 AM
Quote from: Ciall on January 21, 2022, 09:53:33 AM
Quote from: Tyrdub on January 21, 2022, 09:20:19 AM
Quote from: Ciall on January 20, 2022, 11:32:28 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on January 20, 2022, 08:31:09 AM
Quote from: Ciall on January 19, 2022, 07:49:08 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 19, 2022, 02:36:57 PM
Quote from: Ciall on January 19, 2022, 12:46:17 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on January 19, 2022, 09:06:28 AM
hear the Derry clubs looking back into juvenile and reserve leagues, be a good move for everyone that.

Agreed! There's a vast contrast in ability level within the leagues so this helps even it out a bit more. I think the external counties in our senior hurling leagues are badly needed kept too! I heard tell there was discussions as to whether they should be "kept in." Would be disastrous if they were removed! Eg St Galls and Sarsfields in Div 2 sit well at their level- if we remove the Down teams (for example) from Div 1, you end up with a lot  of mismatches in Div 1 and a waste of time for everyone concerned.
I'd actually suggest pushing to get Slaughtneil etc into our league also to help push our top 4/5 teams on!

yes , 100% right, but heard the chairman not keen on outside clubs

I know he's chair and puts a fair amount of time into it I'm sure, but how could he possibly push through his own agenda without discussing with clubs? Did he even hurl? Or even hurl to a decent level to understand the need to for competitive games rather than drummings? I'd be disappointed to see something like that become real.
Now that is a ridiculous statement. Do you need to play to know what a team needs? Plenty of managers  who have won top level competitions but have never won them as a player.

I didn't ask has he won something. Well aware of successful managers backgrounds.
The point I'm making is- if he hurled for NE in his time, it'll have been at a low standard, likely then without the ards teams or other teams in the league, therefore not knowing the benefit of having these teams in our league. If he's willing to make crass statements and potentially decisions about removing external teams from our leagues, without consulting with players/managers in the leagues affected, them he'd need to have experienced it himself- hence my question! I know now he hasn't, and shouldn't be making calls like that without some form of consultation.

Imagine Leinster didn't allow our hurlers into their league/championship through the years, wed have been complaining all the same.

Away and get your head felt lad, CMcC is a very intelligent man, I think he would have the wherewithal to consult others. I can't see him going on a solo run with something like this.
As for having to have experienced it himself before making this decision, ffs give him some credit. Your statement is akin to not letting lower league clubs send players forward to county teams due them not being of a required standard, if that's the case then Nicky English would never have worn the blue and gold jersey.

As for Leinster....for years they didnt allow us into any of their leagues, juvenile included. Currently they won't allow us to play any games at home, you sure you want to hold at this high standard you're portraying them to be?

If you know the man- which is seeming like you do- then you'd be well aware he loves a solo run! Again- you're not reading what I'm asking and looking stupid in the process. I never said him playing lower league stops him playing county, I said it wouldn't have allowed him to experience the external teams coming into the league.
Regarding your Leinster statement, if we want to play in Leinster then we should have no problem travelling- we have no right to walk into a league/championship and demand home games etc.

Do you support his views on removing the external teams from our leagues then??

Early soundings are that we're not getting the U17's into the Antrim leagues which is disappointing to say the least.

Turns out CMcC rules the roost with an iron rod and gets his way!

He's all ego
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

johnnycool

Quote from: Last Man on February 01, 2022, 09:27:40 AM
One thing you have to understand about the man is that he doesn't do procrastination. In my experience he always consults and trys to achieve concensus but he will not wait for the perfect solution as he will always look to box an issue off and move on. Whats wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that as long as your consultations take in a wide spread of opinions.

i have it from one source that one of his lieutenants believed there is value in allowing outside teams into the Antrim leagues to raise the standards but was shot down as no Antrim club team won an Ulster title this year, so why should Antrim develop these other teams??

SN don't have a team in the senior leagues but if they did it would certainly make it a lot more interesting.

Not sure about Banagher.

imtommygunn

Wouldn't work with dual for those clubs.

if all that has happened it's disappointing. Kind of more up to you to raise your own standards than to lower those of other people.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 01, 2022, 11:03:45 AM

if all that has happened it's disappointing. Kind of more up to you to raise your own standards than to lower those of other people.

There's certainly a whiff of, you're welcome to come and play with us providing you don't start beating us alright which is counter productive as you point out.

From our perspective it's a blow alright but we'll have to work round it but friendlies are nowhere near as useful as a meaningful league game..

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on February 01, 2022, 11:17:37 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 01, 2022, 11:03:45 AM

There's certainly a whiff of, you're welcome to come and play with us providing you don't start beating us alright which is counter productive as you point out.

From our perspective it's a blow alright but we'll have to work round it but friendlies are nowhere near as useful as a meaningful league game..
It seems very short-sighted. Surely the aim should be to make the leagues as competitive as possible to make better players  which has a multiplier effect into county level. If Antrim teams were playing the likes of Sneil more often they might develop a plan for stopping them at provincial level.

Saffsof82

Derry teams are in senior reserve , u20 and u17 leagues as of county meeting last night

podge

Quote from: johnnycool on February 01, 2022, 09:52:15 AM
Quote from: Last Man on February 01, 2022, 09:27:40 AM

Nothing wrong with that as long as your consultations take in a wide spread of opinions.

i have it from one source that one of his lieutenants believed there is value in allowing outside teams into the Antrim leagues to raise the standards but was shot down as no Antrim club team won an Ulster title this year, so why should Antrim develop these other teams??

SN don't have a team in the senior leagues but if they did it would certainly make it a lot more interesting.

Not sure about Banagher.

Seems a bit narrow minded if that's the attitude. It's not that many years ago we were cap in hand at HQ begging to get into Leinster SHC and underage leagues etc to improve our own competitiveness at intercounty level. Is this not the same thing at a different level ? There may be some other factor at play here, I am not sure. In fairness , history suggests Antrim have been quite accommodating over the years on these types of things.

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffsof82 on February 01, 2022, 01:09:52 PM
Derry teams are in senior reserve , u20 and u17 leagues as of county meeting last night

If that's true, then all good.

My Derry source has maybe been misinformed..