?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Main Street

Quote from: snoopdog on February 24, 2022, 08:52:18 PM
Realistically are Celtic going to win a European tournament.? No . Concentrate on winning the title. Its much more important than a conference league.
The late winner against Dundee in itself could prove more valuable than the Bodo tie.
However valuable club coefficient points  earned  by progressing to the next round matter in regards to seeding as well as Scotland's country ranking is now in the dizzy heights of automatic entry to the group stages along with GBP20m+.
But the grunt work in Europe can be left to Rangers.

ned

Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2022, 09:22:36 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on February 24, 2022, 08:52:18 PM
Realistically are Celtic going to win a European tournament.? No . Concentrate on winning the title. Its much more important than a conference league.
The late winner against Dundee in itself could prove more valuable than the Bodo tie.
However valuable club coefficient points  earned  by progressing to the next round matter in regards to seeding as well as Scotland's country ranking is now in the dizzy heights of automatic entry to the group stages along with GBP20m+.
But the grunt work in Europe can be left to Rangers.

We've been woeful in Europe for years. Last time we did anything significant was under Lennon first time round.
Doing well in Europe shouldn't be a secondary consideration. Surely if we are doing well in Europe means we have a better team and ultimately better chance of winning the league. Otherwise, why bother winning the league. That said I thing Ange has the right ideas to strive towards relative European success.

rodney trotter

Agree. And how would Celtic expect to compete in the Cl next season ,when getting blown away in the Conference League. The 40 million for Qualifying will be  a bonus ,but that's about all.

Rangers have had very good result in Europe for a few seasons.

illdecide

Can anyone actually put their finger on why Celtic are so bad in Europe and why the constantly year on year get beat by smaller clubs with smaller budgets. We can blame players or managers or both but it's happening with even good managers in charge...The great BR couldn't halt it and neither can Ange the saviour so what's the problem/issue?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

screenexile

Quote from: illdecide on February 26, 2022, 09:05:43 PM
Can anyone actually put their finger on why Celtic are so bad in Europe and why the constantly year on year get beat by smaller clubs with smaller budgets. We can blame players or managers or both but it's happening with even good managers in charge...The great BR couldn't halt it and neither can Ange the saviour so what's the problem/issue?

They play shitty teams week in week out??

clarshack

Celtic in Europe need to sit back, soak up pressure and hit teams on the counter like what Rangers do in Europe and also what teams do to Celtic in the SPL every week. Who can forget Celtic under Rodgers going toe to toe against Barcelona and PSG and getting absolutely destroyed.

clarshack

Quote from: screenexile on February 26, 2022, 09:39:08 PM

They play shitty teams week in week out??

And who do Rangers play week in week out?

illdecide

Quote from: clarshack on February 26, 2022, 09:46:58 PM

Celtic in Europe need to sit back, soak up pressure and hit teams on the counter like what Rangers do in Europe and also what teams do to Celtic in the SPL every week. Who can forget Celtic under Rodgers going toe to toe against Barcelona and PSG and getting absolutely destroyed.

I can...I was in Paris the night we got thumped 7-1. Wasn't pleasant.
The last time Celtic won a knock out game post Christmas was v Barcelona in 2004. That's 18 years of pure failure under 9 different managers...(O'Neill, Strachan, Mobray, Lennon, Deila, Rodgers, Lennon, Kennedy & Ange)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ned

Quote from: illdecide on February 26, 2022, 09:51:48 PM

The last time Celtic won a knock out game post Christmas was v Barcelona in 2004. That's 18 years of pure failure under 9 different managers...(O'Neill, Strachan, Mobray, Lennon, Deila, Rodgers, Lennon, Kennedy & Ange)

This year has been good so far, especially considering last year. However, although we are improving we have a long way to go.
We are night and day away from CL standard and I'm not even talking knockout stages. I think we will struggle against most CL teams in the groups unless the incremental improvements continue. It may take a few years yet!

Main Street

It's not 18 years, you are forgetting Strachan twice into the knockout stage and Neil's  jubilee 2012
The dramatic slump has happened since 2013 albeit with a few good games.

Nanderson

Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2022, 10:38:14 PM

It's not 18 years, you are forgetting Strachan twice into the knockout stage and Neil's  jubilee 2012
they haven't won any knockout games since 2004

Main Street

Quote from: Nanderson on February 26, 2022, 10:51:14 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2022, 10:38:14 PM

they haven't won any knockout games since 2004
You are some drip, Celtic got to the knockout stages, that was a rip roaring success for a SPL team and once  took Milan to ET.

bennydorano

Not unsurprising (0-0), we've been riding our luck since after the Rangers game, we've been pretty pish lately.

Targetman

Agree, not surprised at all, that bit of zip in our play seems to have gone completely

Main Street

And then Rangers let a 2 goal lead slip, the SPL ain't no stroll in the park, other clubs do their upmost to upset the big 2.