TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2022, 11:54:45 PM
He's very good. So far so good

Watching I, sniper: The Washington killers. Unreal, remember it well at the time but this joins all the dot's

Are there 8 episodes in that series?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 28, 2022, 09:06:05 AM

Watching I, sniper: The Washington killers. Unreal, remember it well at the time but this joins all the dot's

Not sure. I'm on episode 3, the young lad involved is so candid about the whole thing. mad
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

laoislad

Started 1883 the other night and I think it's great.
I never watched Yellowstone but might look into it now.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

screenexile

Quote from: laoislad on January 28, 2022, 09:49:21 AM

Finished Yellowstone yesterday and watched the first 1883 episode then. Yellowstone is good but it's a bit mad just for the sake of it I enjoyed it alright but it's not particularly believable. The acting is very good though.

Enjoyed the start to 1883 it's looking a bit more gritty and believable thus far.

Silver hill

What station are those shoes on?

JoG2

Quote from: Silver hill on January 28, 2022, 01:44:36 PM
What station are those shoes on?

1883 on Paramount + which I don't think is available in this part of world Silver. You'd have to go down the IPTV route

Silver hill

imtommygunn

Was that the one where it was the boy in the boot of the car?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 28, 2022, 02:03:50 PM

Was that the one where it was the boy in the boot of the car?

Aye, and the cops were tortured trying to catch them, its totally crazy and the back story also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 28, 2022, 09:29:28 AM

Not sure. I'm on episode 3, the young lad involved is so candid about the whole thing. mad

I watched it before, only realising now that the version I watched had 8 episodes though, split the show into 44 minute segments whereas Channel 4 have stuck them near an hour long, hence the reduced episode count.  Cant believe it is 20 years though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 28, 2022, 03:24:27 PM

I watched it before, only realising now that the version I watched had 8 episodes though, split the show into 44 minute segments whereas Channel 4 have stuck them near an hour long, hence the reduced episode count.  Cant believe it is 20 years though.

I remember the police sheriff at the time, he was under so much pressure

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 28, 2022, 03:25:34 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 28, 2022, 03:24:27 PM

I remember the police sheriff at the time, he was under so much pressure

Aye, Moose, he was a cool character.  He only died recently too.

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on January 28, 2022, 11:14:14 AM

Finished Yellowstone yesterday and watched the first 1883 episode then. Yellowstone is good but it's a bit mad just for the sake of it I enjoyed it alright but it's not particularly believable. The acting is very good though.

Enjoyed the start to 1883 it's looking a bit more gritty and believable thus far.
For my money 1883 is really enjoyable tv with a great cast and classic western storyline / themes.  Yellowstone was /is an upgrade on Dallas but just can't quite rinse off the soap.

thewobbler

Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2022, 10:57:06 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 28, 2022, 11:14:14 AM

For my money 1883 is really enjoyable tv with a great cast and classic western storyline / themes.  Yellowstone was /is an upgrade on Dallas but just can't quite rinse off the soap.

Would agree with all that. Yellowstone is enjoyable TV but the central plot line ("everyone wants to take away our land, our way of life") just isn't nuanced enough for the show to become a classic. Instead it kind of has to settle for soap opera themes, dressed up in excessive violence. Amazing cinematography and some fine acting (Rip steals every scene) adds plus points back in.

1883 on the other hand has the makings of exceptional TV. The story can literally go anywhere, and for decades, and as fast or as slow as it likes. As you say, it's sticking to classic western themes so the story will likely never come close to groundbreaking. But the overall story of American settlers is fascinating, and the subtle pacing and strong characters have made for brilliant viewing to date.