St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

magpie seanie

He reckoned the figures quoted in the media were too high and that it would be nowhere near €10m. Not sure what to think.

Its just a vanity project for our good buddy in Ballyhaunis and it would have been pretty hard for counties to say no to him the way things are run. Therein lies the crux of the problem.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 20, 2010, 11:07:26 AM
He reckoned the figures quoted in the media were too high and that it would be nowhere near €10m. Not sure what to think.

Its just a vanity project for our good buddy in Ballyhaunis and it would have been pretty hard for counties to say no to him the way things are run. Therein lies the crux of the problem.

Well he either hasnt a clue of the figure or mislead the County Board or he is actually right. Does the 5 year rule apply to prenty? Is there anyway to take some of the power away from him? It doesnt sound like a democracy.

I heard Prenty on the radio today defending the handpass rule, he said the reason the game between Derry and Armagh was so poor was becuase of them and not the rule, I watched all 3 matches and it frustrated me in all of them. Pauric mcshane was on and for once i agreed with him, he told prenty " to take his head of the sand" :D... Prenty might rethink his view on the rule if it costs mayo this yr, I seen several good handpasses called fouls, imagine in a tight game, where like Donaghy legal handpass be adjudged a foul and team score a goal only for it to be disallowed. I pray it doenst affect our lads.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Just got a txt, Quinns injury not as bad as first thought, should be 100% fit for Mayo game. Have to say im delighted.

magpie seanie

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 20, 2010, 01:43:54 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 20, 2010, 11:07:26 AM

Well he either hasnt a clue of the figure or mislead the County Board or he is actually right. Does the 5 year rule apply to prenty? Is there anyway to take some of the power away from him? It doesnt sound like a democracy.

I heard Prenty on the radio today defending the handpass rule, he said the reason the game between Derry and Armagh was so poor was becuase of them and not the rule, I watched all 3 matches and it frustrated me in all of them. Pauric mcshane was on and for once i agreed with him, he told prenty " to take his head of the sand" :D... Prenty might rethink his view on the rule if it costs mayo this yr, I seen several good handpasses called fouls, imagine in a tight game, where like Donaghy legal handpass be adjudged a foul and team score a goal only for it to be disallowed. I pray it doenst affect our lads.

Unfortunately not. He is a full time paid official. I assume his contract has to be renewed every few years but that would seem to be a mere formality. I personally think that we need paid officials in the GAA but they should have little say in policy matters and have very limited powers. It's unlikely that will happen though.

SLIGONIAN

From Sligogaa.ie

The Connacht Junior Football Championship final has been put back to Wednesday 9th June 2010 @7.30pm in Ballyhaunis GAA Pitch, Co. Mayo. The game which was originally fixed for Saturday 5th June in Markievicz Park, Sligo has been put back at the request of both counties. There are a number of players from Sligo on both County Junior & Senior panels and Galway had players representing their clubs at the Comortos peil, (hosted by Belmullet GAA Club), on the same weekend.
The game is now fixed for Wednesday 9th June in Ballyhaunis with a 7.30pm throw in time with Michael Daly, (Mayo), the man in the middle.

Connacht Junior Football Championship
Wednesday 9th June 2010
Throw In: 7.30pm
Sligo vs. Galway
Venue: Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo
Referee: Michael Daly, (Mayo

SLIGONIAN

Was at our club game today, Marys won well, but we played terrible. Passing was so poor. We werent helped by the ref, we scored a good goal to put us 3 pts up and he blew for a peno just as the ball hit the net, we missed the peno. I also think its sad a player of Peter Wilson calibre had to be told to take the peno from 11 metres as he was about take it from 13, he missed. I wont criticise him for missing, but not knowing the rules is just poor. At one stage second half we kicked 5 wides in a row and hit the post with a 15 yard free, also hit underside of crossbar with goal gaping. Bad day at the office. No county players played just to add and Burns and McHugh are in the states.

Ironically enough i player I always liked Johnny Martyn looked very good at midfield for them, pity he is not involved with county as he would provide better cover for our HBs than phillips or ewing.

Im hearing Sligo minors are going bad at the min, getting heavy beatings in challenge games.

Our Juniors beat Coolera in the prequel to north division final, any word of the  final date seanie?

magpie seanie

Rumour has it that the North div final is to be the evening before the Sligo v. Mayo match. I think our junior league match should have been postponed to be honest. Senior game was called off due to bereavement to club Chairman who has two sons playing so don't see why junior game went ahead. Anyway....

Minors still have an amazing 4 weeks to turn matters around though I'm worried from what I see and hear.

I'd go easy on players not knowing the rules when clearly referees don't either.

magpie seanie

North Div junior final is on Friday week in Oxfield. Should be a good game and with Sligo v. Mayo the next day and the Club Sligo 7's on the Sunday it promises to be a great bank holiday GAA wise in and around Sligo town and environs.

SLIGONIAN

Ya really looking forward to next weekend. Car flags are up, flag is on the chimney we will be alot wiser about good this Sligo side is this time next week. :)

Our seniors had a really good win tonight in DIV2 againt Drumcliffe, played terrible in 1st half and were 2-4 to 0-2 down at HT against a decent breeze. Came all guns blazing and won 2-13 to 2-6, great turnaround, whilst quality was lacking at times, lots of pride and passion, and in fairness our lads dug deep and showed guts, drumcliffe just wilted. Tougher tests ahead but love beating our nearest and dearest. Hopefully a precursor for June 5th.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 20, 2010, 01:57:54 PM
Just got a txt, Quinns injury not as bad as first thought, should be 100% fit for Mayo game. Have to say im delighted.

Update is Quinn is 50/50 for Mayo, hopefully he'll make it.

magpie seanie

Our seniors had a disappointing fade out on Saturday evening against Curry. Level at HT 0-5 apiece after playing into a stiff breeze things look good but Curry upped the ante in second half and we couldn't match them. Loads of players missing, injuries etc but same could be said for them. I thought they were impressive.

bannside

Hey Sligo, fair dues to ye. Kicked on well since the league final and will take a bad day at the races for ye to let Connaught slip from here.

Good luck from Antrim.

SLIGONIAN

Thanks bannside,

on club matters congrats to our seniors who got promoted to Div1 next yr, in the last few weeks our lads have shown serious guts, the win over shamrock gaels with 8 players missing was immense, its a long time since i seen a team work so hard, it laid the platform for our wins over castleconnor and tubber which were  both played in terrible conditions. Well done to everyone.

Went to the u14 A Shield final yday and came home disppointed, there a seriously talented bunch of lads, and were missing alot from our semi win over curry which was very good perfromance, johns were bigger and stronger and seemed more hungry. Congrats to them.

Sligo football is bright for sure lads, i watched most of the u14 Tubber Marys A final and both teams had outstanding players, the full back for tubber was immense, his footpassing with his left was out of this world, tubber won by a 1pt in the end, great advertisement for football, congrats to Tubber.

It was great to see Johnny Martyn, Mark and Tommy breheny, john Kent, Stephen Gilmartin, Colm McGee and David Kelly all in supporting thes youngsters. True legends in all fairness.

With our lack of underage success, the players are there, the coaching is there, but unless we get the right managers in charge we will continue to waste this talent for the foreseeable future like weve seen last few yrs. Thats my message to Stephen Carty and Liam Og Gormley, all the great work yere doing doesnt matter a jot if we have poor managers in charge of county underage teams.

SLIGONIAN

U16s in manning cup final against Westmeath. Good luck to them.

SLIGONIAN

Feck sake, Roscommon 2-13 Sligo 1-5 FT tedd webb cup, poor result, a sickening yr for us losing to rossies in u21, senior and u16 now.

Juniors beat Louth 0-13 to 2-6 but hearing the TW result has knocked the stuffing out of me. Juniors is not near as important as the underage, i think we'll all agree.

What are we doing wrong that Roscommon are doing right at underage? No Roscommon schools doing anything yet attractas and summerhill starting to deliver for us, yet they seem better at u16, u18 and u21. With Tommy Breheny as manager and harrison and mark breheny as selectors they must of got the best out of the u16s.

Club championship this sat in kent St Molaise Gaels v Coolera/Strandhill, were are missing both Gilsenans, and liam Kennedy who broke his arm again, i wish him a speedy revoery, besides that we are full strength. Not expecting much this yr but we need stay senior.