St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

magpie seanie

We've a Divisional Junior semi final on Friday so will be relying on your report from Markievicz. Last weekend our seniors got a good draw away to Harps though heard it could have been better. Half way through the league and we've not seen Costello yet and Keelan only played one game I think.

Juniors were apparently a bit unlucky. Faded in last quarter after a good performance against table topping Owenmore Gaels. A man sent off in the first quarter eventually told I believe. We've done ok in most games in that league but very little to show for it. Need to get more points on the board. Div 4 is a very even league.

If those boys go to the US that's a major blow to St Molaise Gaels alright. Might be good for them all go the one year.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 12, 2010, 04:59:36 PM
We've a Divisional Junior semi final on Friday so will be relying on your report from Markievicz. Last weekend our seniors got a good draw away to Harps though heard it could have been better. Half way through the league and we've not seen Costello yet and Keelan only played one game I think.

Juniors were apparently a bit unlucky. Faded in last quarter after a good performance against table topping Owenmore Gaels. A man sent off in the first quarter eventually told I believe. We've done ok in most games in that league but very little to show for it. Need to get more points on the board. Div 4 is a very even league.

If those boys go to the US that's a major blow to St Molaise Gaels alright. Might be good for them all go the one year.

If there is a year to go away its this yr to be honest, it improved burns alot as a player as it toughen him up no end, so will do no harm to the lads, i just hope this isnt an every yr thing.

Our Club development has just started and the builders are in. Should be class job when its complete, phase 1 is dressing room, gym, spectator deck, all weather traing pitch (not full size) and parking area. I have to say though our club has been crying out for this for yrs, and doing it now rather than 5 yrs ago is a monumental error imo, but better late than never, but as usual we do it the hard way.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

It will be the making of your club I think. Along with time to forget about the old club allegiances. The kids playing underage now will be through in no time and won't have the Cliffoney - Grange - Maugherow identity as they'll have been playing with SMG since they started.

Westie

Seanie and Sligonian - -ye probably know my views on this but here it goes...The development of the facilities is a very good thing and I agree with Sligonian, it should have happened already  but.........
I honestly believe the joining of 3 clubs is not good for the area and even worse for the county. Just think a panel of 20 senior players from the 3 clubs = 60 senior players, where as now there is 20 in that area (forget the club 2nd team as bar 1 or 2 teams all clubs have now a 2nd team which is brillant).
The county is losing out also as I have no doubt that there is plenty of kids from u8 up to u14 who are being lost at no fault to Molaise Gaels but too big of a pick will do that, and surely a few diamonds will be lost in this way. I have in my time playing played against the 3 clubs at different grades, so other clubs in the county are also losing out on more clubs to play.
This is not a pick on Molaise Gaels, I honestly believe the same for the likes of Harps(if you can put out 3 teams at senior whish is great surely there could be at least 2 clubs there), possibly Shamrock Gaels and I think one or two others as well. We are not a big county but if I am right we have less football clubs than Leitrim, so that to me says we have less involvement of adults and kids in the county. I know we have the soccer element in the county (I have played it myself ) and also to a lesser extent rugby(played also). The likes of Ballisodare and O.Gaels are tp be admired where they are I believe correct to split up and go on their own. It will take a while but right there you have 20 extra adults a weekend getting games.
I am not picking a fight but it is my belief that it is better for the local areas and the county as a whole.

magpie seanie

The only point I'd make is that when there were 3 small clubs operating out in that area there weren't too many diamonds being uncovered. What we need is good clubs, well supported by the county board, regardless of size.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Westie on May 13, 2010, 10:26:48 AM
Seanie and Sligonian - -ye probably know my views on this but here it goes...The development of the facilities is a very good thing and I agree with Sligonian, it should have happened already  but.........
I honestly believe the joining of 3 clubs is not good for the area and even worse for the county. Just think a panel of 20 senior players from the 3 clubs = 60 senior players, where as now there is 20 in that area (forget the club 2nd team as bar 1 or 2 teams all clubs have now a 2nd team which is brillant).
The county is losing out also as I have no doubt that there is plenty of kids from u8 up to u14 who are being lost at no fault to Molaise Gaels but too big of a pick will do that, and surely a few diamonds will be lost in this way. I have in my time playing played against the 3 clubs at different grades, so other clubs in the county are also losing out on more clubs to play.
This is not a pick on Molaise Gaels, I honestly believe the same for the likes of Harps(if you can put out 3 teams at senior whish is great surely there could be at least 2 clubs there), possibly Shamrock Gaels and I think one or two others as well. We are not a big county but if I am right we have less football clubs than Leitrim, so that to me says we have less involvement of adults and kids in the county. I know we have the soccer element in the county (I have played it myself ) and also to a lesser extent rugby(played also). The likes of Ballisodare and O.Gaels are tp be admired where they are I believe correct to split up and go on their own. It will take a while but right there you have 20 extra adults a weekend getting games.
I am not picking a fight but it is my belief that it is better for the local areas and the county as a whole.

I take your point, my club is a strange one, when I played with Cliffoney at u14, we played Maugherow and Grange in the C level, we won the league and lost championship final, then at u16 it was Grange/Cliffoney GAA club and I played that at B level, won league and championship, and u18 again at B and lost championship final to tourlestrane but won league, at u21 we were St Molaise Gaels and got to A semi final. So as the amalgamations happened we were getting stronger team. Let me tell you there was some very talented players lost throughout the yrs, but these were the lads who had to be begged to play etc.. nowadays they are lost quicker as the club doesnt need because our pick is so big. Maugherow is a huge problem at the minute, its by far our biggest catchment area and only 2 commit to the club at senior, theres not much interest in GAA there nowadays.  I believe the amalgamation has helped big time, it means we are not reliant on those with little interest and means our players get to play at an elite level. I could of been stuck playing C all my underage but i got to play A with amalgamation. Now there were advantages to playing with Cliffoney, as I felt serious pride and was playing with my friends, I think we could of won more only throughout my underage the amalagamations took some getting used to. I didnt really enjoy playing with Grange to be honest but we got used to it. Ironic thing is and I do think about it Cliffoney would have some team nowadays, Loughlin, L Kennedy, J Kelly, Leonard,C burns, M Quinn, E McHugh, A McHugh, Sheerin, G Mchugh, A Harrison, G O Connor, etc....

Conclusion is really theres no going back, Cliffoney and Maugherow dont have a pitch aways and that was always hassle for us. The club is getting more united and as Seanie points out the kids are playing all the way up for the Gaels so dont know the rivalry even existed. I isnt a fair reflection of other small clubs that play us as we have a huge pick compared to them, but at least our elite players are getting exposure and I think whilst we may lose some players, you dont lose the good ones, and the county ends up benefiting more than anyone. Remember we had 3 starters on the minor last yr, and one sub came on, this yr we had 4 starting in tuam..We are heading the right direction, and we are going to win Owen B Hunt soon, and that would never happen if seperated. Also at ages 8,10,12,14 etc,, no kids are getting turned away, from what I hear harps do turn away kids, and to be honest with you, with there 12 national schools there underage performances are a disgrace and should be looked at closer. At least no one can say that about us. Harps should be forced to play multiple underage teams aswell, i hear 80 kids turn up for training thats at least 4 teams at underage, ive never seen in the structure Harps A,B,C and D. We dont have that many turn up either, and people have to remember Drummcliffe/Rosses Point have a LARGER catchment area than ourselves. I also James Watters is over training all the schools so he would be getting kids involved in the club.

Just got txt from Club Sligo ,Sligo Junior team to play Fermanagh: M Tuohy, B Kennedy, G Gilsenan, Rooney, D McGlynn, Phillips, Cawley, Gilmartin, J Murphy, Stenson, P McGoldrick, F Quinn, McGee, D Maye, Finan.

Glad to see Gilsenan FB. Is Farrel injured? Phillips at CHB, wont help Gilsenan. Stenson is lucky to be starting aswell.

SLIGONIAN

Our Juniors beat Johns in the North Division Semi final yday, poor enough game, we won it comfortably in the end, with  Martin getting 3-7 approx, Darren Gilsenan came on for us aswell, besides them 2 the team was poor enough, Johns had Brian Harris at FF, how he made the u21 panel is one of the biggest jokes in history, unbelievably slow and ordinary. Overdid the weights big time. I think we won by 6 points in the end but as I said before Martin Feeney is too good for this level but wont play with our seniors.

I wouldnt be a fan of the manager here either, I once heard him say upon hearing how our seniors did in a game, that" i dont care my team won today", disgraceful comment. But it goes further, we had 8 subs yday made up of 18-25 yr olds, some good players like  Glen McHugh, Killian sheerin etc.... who never got a run, but he brought on a 48 yr old, those 2 players i mentioned wouldnt be far away from our seniors and wouldnt of got much game time this yr and then get insulted like this. Our juniors should be used to play good up and coming players, any players who turn up to train consistently and players on the fringe of the seniors. It just a travesty of stupidity.

We really need to have a clearout of the club full stop, from chairman to junior manager, and the action has to come from the players. Im just not sure the players care enough to put there neck on the line to do it. The club knows what I think.

magpie seanie

No prizes for guessing who the 48 year old was!

We'll be trying to meet ye in the final. Playing Calry/St. Josephs tonight. Lost a cracker of a game to them at this stage last year so hopefully we can go one better. Busy schedule this weekend with Div 1 game Sat, Div 4 game Sun at 2.30pm and hurling match Sun at 4pm.

SLIGONIAN

From Sligogaa.ie

Sligo progressed to the Final of the Connacht Junior Championship following a 2-20 to 1-9 win over Fermanagh in Markievicz Park this evening.
Sligo Team and scorers:
1 Mark Tuohy
19 Mark Quinn
3 Gavin Gilsenan
4 David Rooney
5 Donal McLynn
6 Brendan Phillips
7 Keelan Cawley
8 James Murphy 0-1
9 Stephen Gilmartin 0-3
10 Shane Stenson 1-1
11 Padraig mcGoldrick 0-3
12 Francis Quinn 0-1
13 Colm McGee 0-6 (0-4 frees)
14 David Maye 0-2 (0-1 free)
15 Kieran Finan 1-3
Subs:
Noel Gaughan for M Quinn (inj)
Paul McTiernan for S Gilmartin
Daniel Maye for K Cawley
Darren Gilsenan for P McGoldrick
Cian mcNamara for C McGee

Was at it, will update tomorrow, mainly positive but Quinn in a race against time now to be fit, looked very sharp today so huge loss.

Sprinter and mano will be happy though aswell, Eamonn O Hara has to start at 12 against mayo. I dont think in my long history of supporting Sligo ive been able to say the Last 5 games i been all nearly we scored 0-20 pts

SLIGONIAN

It was really a game yday that you write off a player but not back him fully to make it, Fermanagh had not 1 senior panelist on there side whereas we had 5 starters and the all senior subs playing. It was a mis match once we got going, it was only 7pts to 4pts at HT.... but we were playing against a slight breeze. When the game was tight Stenson look very poor, in fact his first 6 passes were pathetic, like im talking this lad could have a margin of error for 20 yards and still not reach that target with a Sligoman free in that space. He looks ok under no pressure thus he scored 1-1, but honestly I wouldnt have him near the seniors. McGoldrick and Finan ended up with 0-3 and 1-3 repsepectively, but this was scored when we were 8/9 pts up. Finan looked the sharper of the 2. Hes quick on the turn and does know where the posts are so still woudnt write him off. McGoldrick is poor under pressure and indecisive, he has alot of potential though im not sure about him, its easy to score when your team is winning well, but he goes missing when its tight.

McGee showed touches of class, timing of his run for his 2 scores from play excellent, but his free taking isnt where it needs to be, he got 4, but missed 3 ones that Maye would get, mcgee needs to be more ruthless. Maye was frustrated figure, as the ball never got near  him, he eventually got his score, but Sligo teams need to play the FF better. Look last week when the pressure was on maye delivered, we didnt need him last night but thats not to say he didnt try, just time and time again the ball didnt get to him whilst open. Francis Quinn last night did his best to play himself into contention for mayo, but he was greedy, ordinary player imo, nothing more than a ball carrier and his distribution is only good when kept simple.

Thats all the forwards, Midfield was good but it was an easy game, Gilmartin, looks ridiculously sharp, scored 3 great scores, one from distance under pressure and I saw signs that auger well for 3 weeks time. murphy showed well again.

The defence at times was lazy, but better thann last week, at least they showed an apetite to defence first attack later. Big blow was Mark Quinn going off with hamstring injury, he is a doubt now. Quinny was unreal sharp all game, and brought an intensity to his game that shows me hes upped it since NFL. We need him as Philips is too loose, just never gets close to his man to put him under any pressure, looked sharp going forward but will get massacred if he needs to defend. Cawley got over his blip last week and did well. Show the sharpness required for june 5th. McLynn played Corner back and was poor enough but I dont blame him as he is not a corner back, forwards were small and too sharp for him. Gilsnenan did ok at Fb but ive seen him do better. David rooney look better than last week and did well. Kennedy didnt start.

Overall the team played with High energy and intesnity throughout, and are flying fit.

The above analysis is accurate, im always judging on terms of the seniors and if these will make it, Look i will never think a players great on last night but if you cant perform in junior no chance in senior.

Daniel Maye, Noel Guaghan, Cian McNamara and Darren Gilsenan all came on and will probably start final. The final will be interesting as we will lose 5 starting for the seniors, and some will be subs for the seniors aswell.

There only about 50 people at the game on a glorious evening, but have to say it was good to see Costello, Coen, Kearns in to support the lads. Also I seen Michael McNamara  there aswell.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 15, 2010, 12:43:35 AM
From Sligogaa.ie
Sprinter and mano will be happy though aswell, Eamonn O Hara has to start at 12 against mayo.

Don't have to hear it from you Sligonian to know that Eamon will start. None of the other possible starters in that position wouldn't scare Mayo. Marren is not a wing forward, Quinn not up to that level yet. Whereas Eamon will be a marked man which may free up space for others as well as doing his own donkey work around the field and score a few points (He got 2 against Kildare yesterday).

magpie seanie

Was at the minor league semi final last night at Ransboro where Eastern Harps beat our lads after extra time. Credit to Harps they have a well drilled, fit and hungry team and will be a match for most teams. However our lads really should have won this game despite being a bit sluggish and wasteful at times. In the first 25 minutes we totally dominated but hit wide after wide. Harps knocked over 3 quick points to leave us 2 down at HT. Our lads lifted it a bit on the second half and two goals, one a peach from Niall Murphy, swung things in our favour. We lead by four in the closing stages and were 3 up in injury time but conceded a bizarre deflected goal. Very naive stuff from our lads to allow it to happen though. Harps had the bit between their teeth now and drilled two goals in the opening half of extra time, one crazily resulting from one of our lads keeping a wayward free in play. In the second half of extra time Murphy got another goal from a long delivery but another goal was needed and it never arrived. So a league that started so well petered out tamely for our lads. I still think we have huge potential in our team. For county minor panel watchers there were no injuries. Murphy played well (got about 2-4 I'd say) and Vinny Cadden opering at wing back for us gave one of the best displays of fielding I've seen in years. Don't know the Harps lads so sorry. Not many big lads but several flyers. An enjoyable game for the neutral I'd suppose but I was disgusted leaving! A good contingent of the John's lads were there to see who'd they'd be playing in the final on Friday.

Westie

Sorry to be changing the subject but what a waste of money this is

Sod-turning on Friday on new Connacht GAA Centre of Excellence

THE GAA PRESIDENT CHRISTY COONEY WILL TURN THE SOD ON FRIDAY ON THE NEW CONNACHT GAA CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE BETWEEN BALLYHAUNIS AND KNOCK.

THIS IS THE ONLY PROVINCIAL CENTRE OF ITS KIND IN IRELAND, ACCORDING TO THE SECRETARY OF THE CONNACHT COUNCIL JOHN PRENTY, AND WILL COST IN THE REGION OF €10 MILLION.

Jaysus, we are the smallest province, yet some people want to build it as a monument to their standing and work for the association. A complete waste of money. Nothing against Mayo folk, but why are they getting a free centre, because the other counties won't use it ( nor will the boys down in Louisburgh or out Bellmullet, too far away). Split that money between the counties and then we are talking. ..Sorry for the rant  but is there any way of stopping this....Anyway!

magpie seanie

I raised my eyebrows when I read this on sligogaa.ie. Obviously our county Chairman has been mislead as he painted a very different picture of this plan the last time I heard him speaking about it. It's a joke but as I pointed out on another thread when you see what's driving it it's no surprise. It beggars belief.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 19, 2010, 12:45:15 PM
I raised my eyebrows when I read this on sligogaa.ie. Obviously our county Chairman has been mislead as he painted a very different picture of this plan the last time I heard him speaking about it. It's a joke but as I pointed out on another thread when you see what's driving it it's no surprise. It beggars belief.

What did he say Seanie? Im seriously pissed off with this, our Centre has gone to planning, we will be looking for funding soon i presume, what if Croke Park tell us tough shit, yere getting nothing as we just gave 10 milllion to build in ballyhaunis, use that one..

Remember lads Prenty reason for building this was for the Colleges more than most. How when he preposed this to Croke park did it get backing, how did he get the backing of Leitrim, Sligo Roscommon and galway...something doesnt add up..

Questions should be asked.