Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

From Sligogaa.ie

SLIGO GAA 125 HISTORY COMMITTEE
TO ALL CLUB MEMBERS, FAMILIES AND GAELS.

You are cordially invited to the launch of the SLIGO GAA 125 HISTORY book on Wednesday the 31st March in the SLIGO PARK HOTEL at 8-30pm. 

Guest of honour Uachtarán Chumann Luthcleas Gael, Criostóir Ó Cuana

THE LAUNCH AND REFRESHMENTS ARE KINDLY SPONSORED BY SLIGO CREDIT UNION and JOE QUEENAN

This is no disrespect to anyone in involved with this, but I disagree with the premise of this completely, I seen a brief preview in the champion, and it went on about the hard luck of the 1923 where we got an AI final and Galway objected and got the connacht final replayed based on a players name not being spelt right, a letter missing, Sligo lost, so technically Sligo have 4 SENIOR CONNACHT TITLES but we dont becuase of the corruption of the GAA. This was all mentioned in the eamonn sweeney article in the independent i referred to last week where i was depressed reading it. It was basically a article of gross underachievement and limiting beliefs. So now weve created a book for what TO REINFORCE them limiting feeling sorry for ourselves beliefs, our history does NOT deserve to be celebrated. Im deadly serious, most people in our county have a inferiority complex already these kinda of things rubber stamp it. Look i would never let a player read a programme before a Sligo match as it always lists results between counties showing Galways 40 wins to our 10 etc..... this might get into players heads. Live in the now the present moment is the only way to break bad habits and stop negative patterns from happening. Galway and Mayo are poor this yr, despite what the league may tell you, Roscommon and Leitrim are in transition, so instead of looking back, look to now, and that starts with stopping the illegal player transfers within the county. Then get the centre of excellence built. Improve the quality of coaching, ya its ok sending out coaches from IT Sligo but are they great coaches :-\, obviously the Schools are vital, Has anyone in Sligo GAA looked at Sligo Grammar school, massive physicality of players for there age, how many are involved in Sligo GAA etc... how much time went into the book for what purpose?

What I see from these books it glorifies our past, its ok to underachieve, to lose, well its not in Kerry. If we were Kerry thered be no book maybe 150 yr one when we do have an All Ireland or 2. Why not aim for that but more importantly prepare for it. Lets meet the Kerry standards, lets copy it, lets take on there mentality, there only human after all made with the same flesh and blood. Lets do it now and make it happen. The way I see it, the only difference between US and Kerry is our mind. Our mind is conditioned to lose and accept it, and theres is to WIN.

This isnt a sleight on the hard work that went into it, just the idea of it exposes us for who we are, make no mistake we will continue to underachieve until we wake up. Leitrim have more connacht titles. That is a disgrace and embarrasment considering the teams and players weve have compared to them down through the yrs.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Farrandeelin

QuoteGalway and Mayo are poor this yr, despite what the league may tell you, Roscommon and Leitrim are in transition

Yes Sligonian, maybe we are, but we are all still waiting in the long grass. Oh I can't wait to take on Sligo now, to see if we can eek out a win! Which is doubtful to say the least...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 26, 2010, 09:17:06 PM
QuoteGalway and Mayo are poor this yr, despite what the league may tell you, Roscommon and Leitrim are in transition

Yes Sligonian, maybe we are, but we are all still waiting in the long grass. Oh I can't wait to take on Sligo now, to see if we can eek out a win! Which is doubtful to say the least...

Poor Galway and Mayo teams have won connacht at a canter in the past, so ye'll be hot favourites again no doubt, my point is yere nowhere near All Ireland material and this time of yr is completey misleading, ye 2 seem to get worse after league whereas we improve a few notches. Will we improve enough to  beat ye? Time will tell... but there should be no fear and yere league form will be irevelant. But every Sligoman knows that every mayoman will be coming to Sligo expecting a comfortable win, whether ye say it or not. No one can take yere words seriously with absolutely rubbish written on yere threads trying to make the opposition favourites not that it makes one iota a difference as everyone knows what ye think anyway.

SLIGONIAN

Congrats to Sligo today. Poor crowd from Sligo though considering the importance of the game.

Sligo won 3-15 to 1-11

This was a funny game, hear me out, Sligo started brightly and raced into a 0-6 to 0-1 lead, We got a hold at midfield and Fermanagh could not get past half way, they kept turning over possession but credit to Sligo midfield did well first half and won alot of breaks. Workrate was good from the off. We got some neat scores from McGee frees and play this man just doesnt do wides. Honestly lads he scored 1-5 today 1,45 2,f, none of his chances are easy. He is the real deal, and as I said 2yrs ago he reminds me of a young Dessie Sloyan. Costello got 2 great scores in the 1st half, you know we are lucky to have him, he does annoy me at times, he can be greedy and wayward in his shooting (needs to improve on that), but his workrate is unreal, and stamina, he is great shape, he is always the out ball for our defence and links the forwards all the time, took his goal well late on and ended with 1-2.. Harrison got a great goal lateon with full length of the field move in the 1st half and sligo went in 1-9 to 0-4 up. Fermanagh took points when half goal chances were on, Quinn who did well got caught in front of his man which is a dangerous game.

Second half Sligo were asleep, but in all fairness the ref could only point one way for the opening 15 mins in fermanaghs favour, Sligo struggled in this period at midfield and TT got taken off, and Sean Davey came on. Fermanagh got back 0-9 to 1-10 and Sligo got a fisted goal by mcgee an important score and fermanagh got a peno and point to make it 1-10 to 2-10. Sligo then woke up and kicked to be easy winners outscoring them 1-5 to 0-1. No disrespect to fermanagh but theyre the unfittest county team ive ever seen, there shooting was bad so lads there were times in the game a better could of punished us more so still work to do. Keelan had a outstanding debut after a nervy start, absolute cert for CSFC at no5, always turns out of trouble with the ball and works hard without it. Good passer aswell. Harrison and Donovan were brilliant today defensively and going forward. Charlie made Costellos goal aswell. He did hop the ball twice which the clown of a ref didnt see but everyone else did, but in fairness to Sligo he made so many decisions against us we were due one.
Kelly did better today and showed signs of improvement. Sweeney wasnt as good as cavan but did alot of donkey work, could be out for a while though as he pulled up late with hamstring.
I was very happy with Costello, he does have his flaws but the benefit he brings way out nr the negatives. You know he was shouting his head off at the players at the right times, and his passion and hunger was great to see.
Gaughan was quiet, look but not really his fault, he got pulled and dragged all day and never got a free. Brehony was quiet enough too but got his frees.

Im confident of promotion, look im delighted that the players reacted so well after wexford, lets forget about that. We have momentum now, and the lads are getting more confident. We have a good side this yr. Hopefully we'll have u21 title going into april 11th and a huge crowd will turnout.

SLIGONIAN

SLIGONIAN

Just was at St Molaise Gaels v Drumcliffe at oxfield, both teams pretty much at full strength. Good tough game, we won by 2pts. Always sweet to beat them, and went someway to helping me get over my depression yday. Did not get much sleep last night.

Fair play to all involved, lads worked hard.

magpie seanie

Hear our seniors were very disappointing against Curry. Lost by 5 at home only registering 5 points ourselves. Div 1 is tighter this year by the looks of things. A lot of surprise results so far. So a bad weekend all round for myself.

Mano

I see Tourlestrane hammered the Harps by 15 points. What happened there? Is that the correct scoreline. Whats going on up in Gurteen - 2 heavy defeats so far.

SLIGONIAN

Was at the attractas game today. Tough defeat to take as Attractas were the better team.

Attractas looked very dangerous going forward, get interplay and some of the best footpassing ive seen in a long time. Forwards are energetic and make some great runs using great lines of support play and penetrating at will. But 7 to 5 lead with that wind was alway a bit too light. Rogders and C Davey played some great stuff 1st half and rodgers got an unreal score. Brian Egan was his usual self and deadly from frees. He looks better than Maye from play.

The game hinged on an absolute travesty of Referring, this clown who I met in the jacks at HT was telling everyone the score was 8-4, I called the linesman aside and said the ref is going around telling everyone score is 8-4, someone would want to tell him the right score, (everyone uses the same toilet supporters/officials) anyway it gets worse, he made a huge influence 2nd half in favour of Clonmel. He gave them free after free 2nd half for any physical contact, he let our players get hit 3rd man tackles, pulling and dragging and no free in sight. Then Rodgers late in the game got taken out and play on. It was astonishing. It gets better this is the clown who disallowed a longford goal last kick of the game against Limerick, where the rule is the ball has to go dead and he blew it up as the ball landed in the square where longford scored.

Attractas can be proud of themselves, there were better team, Clonmel had good players at 13 and 9 especially and 16 who came on. The goal put them 3 pts up and was apure fluke, one of the clonmel players got tackled and there was no danger only the ball took a ridiculoous deflection straight into a clonmel players path and they finished from there. Attractas fought back to there credit, and to be honest at the end there was a goal chance but one of the attractas players went for a point and skyed it where egan scored resultant free. There was confusion over the full time and injury time played and the Referee got a severe roasting at the end and rightly so. He is a cheater. 1-10 to 0-12 FT

I thought the full back was immense and is a cert for Sligo, James Connoly, cian o dowd put serious effort in but was marking Boland who was unreal. Conor Gorman did well. Raymond had a stormer as did matthews who made one unbelievble intercetpion.

Cian Killoran outshone coffey at midfield, Killoran was brilliant aable to run at them and give good possesion, Coffey who is giant, did great work too, and did well on Matassa who played for tipp u21s im told.

Rodgers and C Davey real classy players as does Egan. The 2 brennans did well but Im told theyve played better. Definite potential. Marren is livewire but needed to shoot more.

Im optimistic for the minors, Hope the lads there heartache out on Connacht this yr.

Onlooker

Sligonian, I always like to read what opposition supporters think of games that Tipperary teams play in and even though I was not able to get to Portarlington yesterday, I have never read a more biased or one sided report on any game.  I always enjoy reading what fair minded supporters of other teams think of a game and they always give credit to both teams while obviously looking at the game from their team's point of view.  You could not give any credit to the High School for their win.  You said that they had 2 good players in Aldo Matassa and Liam Boland, but no team ever won an All Ireland with just 2 good players.  St. Attracta's were favourites for yesterday's game after their very good win in the semi final against a good team in St. Michael's, Lurgan, but I still expected the High School to win as I knew that they had several top class players on the team.  Jonathan Ryan and Billy Hewitt were 2 of the best minors in Munster last year and both played in the Munster Minor Final against Kerry and the All Ireland Quarter Final against Mayo.  That kind of experience would have been a great advantage yesterday.  As for the referee, i would say that your comments are way over the top.  Why would any referee do what you accuse him of and be virtually a 16th man for the High School.  Your criticism is so far over the top that I reject it completely.  The newspapaer accounts of the game show that the High School scored 8 points from frees and St. Attracta' scored 7.  Nothing one sided there.  I spoke to someone who was at the game and his verdict was that it was a very close game between 2 fine sides and that the result could have gone either way, but he reckoned that the High School just about deserved it.   It has been a great couple of weeks for Tipperary football, but Sligo's day will come.  St. Attracta's were unlucky yesterday, but Sligo could still be celebrating tomorrow.  Best of luck to you in your bid for promotion

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Onlooker on April 10, 2010, 12:18:43 PM
Sligonian, I always like to read what opposition supporters think of games that Tipperary teams play in and even though I was not able to get to Portarlington yesterday, I have never read a more biased or one sided report on any game.  I always enjoy reading what fair minded supporters of other teams think of a game and they always give credit to both teams while obviously looking at the game from their team's point of view.  You could not give any credit to the High School for their win.  You said that they had 2 good players in Aldo Matassa and Liam Boland, but no team ever won an All Ireland with just 2 good players.  St. Attracta's were favourites for yesterday's game after their very good win in the semi final against a good team in St. Michael's, Lurgan, but I still expected the High School to win as I knew that they had several top class players on the team.  Jonathan Ryan and Billy Hewitt were 2 of the best minors in Munster last year and both played in the Munster Minor Final against Kerry and the All Ireland Quarter Final against Mayo.  That kind of experience would have been a great advantage yesterday.  As for the referee, i would say that your comments are way over the top.  Why would any referee do what you accuse him of and be virtually a 16th man for the High School.  Your criticism is so far over the top that I reject it completely.  The newspapaer accounts of the game show that the High School scored 8 points from frees and St. Attracta' scored 7.  Nothing one sided there.  I spoke to someone who was at the game and his verdict was that it was a very close game between 2 fine sides and that the result could have gone either way, but he reckoned that the High School just about deserved it.   It has been a great couple of weeks for Tipperary football, but Sligo's day will come.  St. Attracta's were unlucky yesterday, but Sligo could still be celebrating tomorrow.  Best of luck to you in your bid for promotion

You werent at the game so maybe you should shut your mouth. Clonmel were a good side but they werent the better team.  I felt cheated, everyone at the game from a Sligo viewpoint felt the same. I find it almost insulting to attractas that the clown you got report siad they were better team, he obviously hasnt a honest bone in his body. My report is accurate whether you like it or not. The ref gave clonmel frees within 20 yards of our goal, if we got 1 within 35yrds id be shocked, the ref was a 16th man, you should be glad because if he wasnt clonmel wouldnt of won. I was at the game you werent.

Onlooker

Not much good being at a game if you can only see one team.  The facts are that St. Attracta's scored 7 points from frees and the High School scored 8 points.  That would not suggest that the referee was the 16th man for anyone.  I know from experience that a one point defeat is always hard to take, but telling anyone to shut up will not change the result.  It is still 1-10 to 0-12.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Onlooker on April 10, 2010, 03:08:46 PM
Not much good being at a game if you can only see one team.  The facts are that St. Attracta's scored 7 points from frees and the High School scored 8 points.  That would not suggest that the referee was the 16th man for anyone.  I know from experience that a one point defeat is always hard to take, but telling anyone to shut up will not change the result.  It is still 1-10 to 0-12.

What do you expect me to give a full analysis of a team which was my first time viewing them. 2 players stood out for ye. Good side, not as good as attractas but shit happens. All I ask is for fair refereeing but looks like its asking for too much. Well onlooker your opinion is worthless as you werent at the game. It shows your naivety and lack of knowledge that free count dictates fairness, what about the 5 or 6 frees he didnt give that were blatant in scoring positions. And 3 or 4 ones where yere man fell and he got a free in front of the posts.

Onlooker

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 10, 2010, 03:16:40 PM

What do you expect me to give a full analysis of a team which was my first time viewing them. 2 players stood out for ye. Good side, not as good as attractas but shit happens. All I ask is for fair refereeing but looks like its asking for too much. Well onlooker your opinion is worthless as you werent at the game. It shows your naivety and lack of knowledge that free count dictates fairness, what about the 5 or 6 frees he didnt give that were blatant in scoring positions. And 3 or 4 ones where yere man fell and he got a free in front of the posts.
According to those figures St. Attracta's should have won by about 9 or 10 points.  Does anyone really believe that there was that much between the teams and the referee still managed to win the game for the High School.   I can not accept that anything like that would happen in an All Ireland Final.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Onlooker on April 10, 2010, 03:35:24 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 10, 2010, 03:16:40 PM

According to those figures St. Attracta's should have won by about 9 or 10 points.  Does anyone really believe that there was that much between the teams and the referee still managed to win the game for the High School.   I can not accept that anything like that would happen in an All Ireland Final.

Well if you knew your football, some of those fouls didnt always end up in us losing possession, the South Sligo boys are made of tough stuff, fair play to them.

You seem to like your stats, I'll give you one, HS have 700 students all male, attractas 550 male/female, I thought the A,B,C were done on School sizes. Does anyone have a difinite answer on that one? Im not complaining in fact it highlights attractas coaching and development in a positive way.