St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

Mano

Who is this Kieran Finan who played for Sligo yesterday and scored 3 points? What club does he play for?

jjjshabadoojnr

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on January 25, 2010, 10:38:26 AM
Who is this Kieran Finan who played for Sligo yesterday and scored 3 points? What club does he play for?
Hes a good player, gave G Gilsenan a torrid time in the intermediate at FF in 08, in the semi against Michaels he scored heavily, with mcgoldrick doing well up the other end. Deserve there chance for sure.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on January 25, 2010, 10:38:26 AM

As the guys said he's from Coolaney/Mullinabreena. Very, very quick but fierce light. Deserves his chance but a huge step up from what he has been playing at up to this.

Buckass

Was @ game on Sunday and the main thing it did was highlight O'Hara's importance to the set up. Of the new(er) lads, Kieran Finan did well in 1st half kicking 3 good points. He was no-nonsense when in front of goal. He'd a quiet second half and looks a bit light for i/county but he defo has potential.
Padraic Clarke had a game of the curate's egg variety. He got on a lot of ball, kicked a couple of scores, got in for a decent goal chance but needs to geta bit of the over-elaboration out of the system. When  he was direct it worked well.
David Maye was quiet. Daniel Davey had a nightmare. He happened on 3 balls in 1st half and gave them away. He and Paul McTiernan were taken off at ht. Colm McGee took his chances well, and the free at the end was no gimme.
Mark Quinn was the pick of the backs. He was full of running and picked off a lovely first half point. Tour's Brian Kennedy wasn't involved much, but don't think his man was either which is a good thing.Brian Murphy had a tough outing @ fb with Conroy picking out the ff with great ball.
Farrell was unlucky with the disaster of a goal. He dropped a kick out on J Davey at a vital stage too. He made an excellent 1 on 1 save in 1st half.
Tom Collery drew the short straw at mf and had a long hour on the best player on the pitch (besides EOH) in Paul Conroy. He caught a couple of nice ones though.
Of the rest, Eugene Mullen had a great hour, catching c.4 marks and full of work. For the most part his passing was good.
O'Hara's contribution was outrageous. We were 6 -3 up at ht having been outplayed and GMIT kicking close to ten wides and missing aforementioned 1 on 1.
Within 10 mins of restart he'd kicked two (one off each boot), set up one and won a sight of breaks. Then he went off injured (think it was 10-4) and things went pear shaped.
Feb 7 against Antrim is where its at. A win there would set us up nicely. Of Sunday's 15 can only see Quinn seriously challenging for a league run

SLIGONIAN

Quinn is certain starter in the NFL against Antrim. Now my worry is still CHB, Phillips is not the answer, in fact I would question the managements selection there, its been tryed last yr and didnt work so why repeat the same mistake? Id start Quinn there with maybe K Cawley on the wing depending on his form for the IT. Either way i rather a newcomer than Phillips anyday and 2 spots are open with mcgovern and mcnamra away.

Farrell got scathing reports from my sources for the goal.

D Davey needs to step up to the plate. The midfield still for me the jury is out.

McGee is a future Sloyan in the making IMO, was delighted hes back.

Clarke and Maye both involved with U21s..

Leitrim this weekend, we should really be looking at playing our NFL 15, to get ready for Antrim, from what im told we are behind schedule on fitness and at early stages of NFL that counts for alot as you can get a few handy points like ros and galway last yr, but isnt a true reflection of how good you are as when teams catch up on fitness your found out.

magpie seanie

I'd like to see Farrell getting aa run in the team or at least a guaranteed few starts in the league. Even if you think Greene is excelent and guarateed number 1 (personally I'm not that gushing about him) we still need to know what the backup guy is like. I suspect Farrell's kickouts are better so lets see a bit of him. for what its worth I heard he was a tad unlucky with the goal.

Quinn will get a run in the league and deserves it. I imagine we'll not see too much of the U-21's after next weekend due to their championship taking precendence. Maguire, Donovan and Harrison are the backbone of the back line and are tried, tested and solid. Mullen is someone who I think we need to persist with. If only we had a solid, consistent partner for him it would be ideal. An area of huge concern as it was all last year but it is a hurdle that can be overcome with good planning and coaching. Forward line is a mess at present with our top performers last year nearly all playing with 3rd level colleges. Not as sure as Sligonian about McGee but I think that he is an exceptional free taker. For this alone I'd give him a few runs in the NFL. With Kelly and Coens pace and stature they'll draw frees and we'll need to convert those chances or else our main threats could be blotted out.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 27, 2010, 08:45:57 AM
Quinn is certain starter in the NFL against Antrim. Now my worry is still CHB, Phillips is not the answer, in fact I would question the managements selection there, its been tryed last yr and didnt work so why repeat the same mistake? Id start Quinn there with maybe K Cawley on the wing depending on his form for the IT. Either way i rather a newcomer than Phillips anyday and 2 spots are open with mcgovern and mcnamra away.

D Davey needs to step up to the plate. The midfield still for me the jury is out.

Leitrim this weekend, we should really be looking at playing our NFL 15, to get ready for Antrim, from what im told we are behind schedule on fitness and at early stages of NFL that counts for alot as you can get a few handy points like ros and galway last yr, but isnt a true reflection of how good you are as when teams catch up on fitness your found out.

Wouldn't be as optimistic about McGee either. He doesn't have the physique of a Sloyan and unfortunately is like most of our established forwards, small light stature, nippy which may work against him. I haven't seen him play in 2 years so he may be massive now ;) We need to unearth a few big ball winning forwards to compliment the same nippy forwards like Kelly and Marren.
FBD League is for experimentation so the manager is within his right to try players in different positions. Phillips i think is a better player in heavier conditions than when the ground dries up so i think he is a likely starter during the league as is Quinn with centre back his most likely position.

Anyone know how Brian Kennedy is getting on? He is a good footballer but corner back is not his position- he is a better wing back. He was an emergency full/corner back for Tourlestrance during the championship and was persisted with there as he was playing very well. He is a lot like Harrison - he has too much football in him for a corner back.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on January 27, 2010, 02:01:34 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 27, 2010, 08:45:57 AM

Wouldn't be as optimistic about McGee either. He doesn't have the physique of a Sloyan and unfortunately is like most of our established forwards, small light stature, nippy which may work against him. I haven't seen him play in 2 years so he may be massive now ;) We need to unearth a few big ball winning forwards to compliment the same nippy forwards like Kelly and Marren.
FBD League is for experimentation so the manager is within his right to try players in different positions. Phillips i think is a better player in heavier conditions than when the ground dries up so i think he is a likely starter during the league as is Quinn with centre back his most likely position.

Anyone know how Brian Kennedy is getting on? He is a good footballer but corner back is not his position- he is a better wing back. He was an emergency full/corner back for Tourlestrance during the championship and was persisted with there as he was playing very well. He is a lot like Harrison - he has too much football in him for a corner back.

That's a scandalous comment Mano. Shame on you!  ;)

Mano

Apologies to all corner backs out there for my earlier statement  ;) I played there myself and know how much talent and skill is required for the position :P

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 27, 2010, 12:13:28 PM
I'd like to see Farrell getting aa run in the team or at least a guaranteed few starts in the league. Even if you think Greene is excelent and guarateed number 1 (personally I'm not that gushing about him) we still need to know what the backup guy is like. I suspect Farrell's kickouts are better so lets see a bit of him. for what its worth I heard he was a tad unlucky with the goal.

Quinn will get a run in the league and deserves it. I imagine we'll not see too much of the U-21's after next weekend due to their championship taking precendence. Maguire, Donovan and Harrison are the backbone of the back line and are tried, tested and solid. Mullen is someone who I think we need to persist with. If only we had a solid, consistent partner for him it would be ideal. An area of huge concern as it was all last year but it is a hurdle that can be overcome with good planning and coaching. Forward line is a mess at present with our top performers last year nearly all playing with 3rd level colleges. Not as sure as Sligonian about McGee but I think that he is an exceptional free taker. For this alone I'd give him a few runs in the NFL. With Kelly and Coens pace and stature they'll draw frees and we'll need to convert those chances or else our main threats could be blotted out.

He deserves his chance in the FBD, in fact I would of played him in all the games, I asked my Dad again about the goal and he said he wasnt unlucky, said farrell was asleep and he most of the people around him were of a similiar opinion. I want to put on record that I dont think Greene is excellent, he is a good shot stopper, but kicks out are inconsistent so hes there to be shot at...so i agree, hope farrell is started on sunday and is more alert.

We'll see on McGee but hope he meets my expectations. Mano are you saying Sloyan was massive :D, well last time i seen mcgee was 2008 county final and I wouldnt describe him as light, he looked strong enough to me, did you say marren was nippy, not sure about that.

The management are just wasting everyones time with Phillips CHB simple as that, you maybe right about heavier conditions, but look at last yr he hadnt CHB for the championship because of wasting time with stupid selections, ended up back with McNamara again, they should be playing Quinn there all the time to get him ready for NFL.

Quote from: Mano on January 27, 2010, 04:47:37 PM
Apologies to all corner backs out there for my earlier statement  ;) I played there myself and know how much talent and skill is required for the position :P
A bad corner back can be carried too you know ;)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on January 27, 2010, 04:47:37 PM

That's what I figured! A bad corner back is like a hole below the water line - sooner or later it will sink you!

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 27, 2010, 04:52:14 PM
We'll see on McGee but hope he meets my expectations. Mano are you saying Sloyan was massive :D, well last time i seen mcgee was 2008 county final and I wouldnt describe him as light, he looked strong enough to me, did you say marren was nippy, not sure about that.

The management are just wasting everyones time with Phillips CHB simple as that, you maybe right about heavier conditions, but look at last yr he hadnt CHB for the championship because of wasting time with stupid selections, ended up back with McNamara again, they should be playing Quinn there all the time to get him ready for NFL.

No i didn't say Sloyan was massive. I marked him on numerous occasions and the only way of doing a good job on him was deprieve him of the ball. If he got possession he was extremely difficult to dispossess as he was very big and strong. Don't think McGee is anything like this but then again i haven't seen him playing in a number of years.

And yes Marren is a nippy fast corner forward.

magpie seanie

Heard last evening reports that would support Sligonian's Dad's version of events on Farrell.

Marren is very quick but not absolute lightening like Kelly I think its fair to say.

ballboy

Guys, what do you make of the proposal to enter an amalgamation of the western division teams? Do you think it will get through?

I do not think it is a good idea, So three west sligo teams got relegated from the senior championship last year this is unfortunate but I don't think it means that football in west sligo is behind the rest of the county. Farnan's made the quarter finals the year before, Easkey are a strong outfit and on there day can beat anybody and Castleconnor can never be seen as a easy draw and are very hard to beat.
In certain other counties I know amalgamations work, but the players there would rarely get the chance to play senior championship with there club due to the number of clubs in the county and personally i feel it's harder for a team to progress through the grades in counties such as Kerry than Sligo. I believe that all the clubs in west sligo have a strong chance of making it into the senior championship. I think all the west sligo teams bar Enniscrone have played senior championship in the last ten years.

Also what happens if a west sligo team wins the intermediate championship next year, which I believe will happen. Do we revert back to existing structure?

Would this happen if all the teams in another division were relegated? I don't think so, I think it is a knee jerk reaction to the relegation of the teams and I don't think it should be passed.

Also another would the players give 100% with there own clubs when they know they can have a better chance with the amalgamation than there own clubs and risk loosing the amalgamation if there club gets promoted again? And could this create a split within the clubs team with lads getting on the amalgamation and others not?

Is it a wise move?