St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

whats my name

thanks sligonian for that does that paper cover all sligo it games?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: whats my name on November 18, 2009, 11:11:05 PM
thanks sligonian for that does that paper cover all sligo it games?

Your welcome, They will cover the league semi for sure and the Sigerson for sure. The Sligo weekender is a great paper and credit to Liam Maloney on it. Covers a serious amount of Sligo Club and County games.

Again its great to see all the Sligo players doing well and being the main scorers, Costello, Sweeney and Coen 10pts between them. Also noteworthy is Gary Gaughan in the Half back line at no 7, would be seen as Half forward with the county, he did play Half back with Sligo minors in 06 I think. Cawley seems to developing well and looking forward to seeing him involved with u21s this yr.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Just to reiterate, no one will be more happy than me if Costello excells next yr and I expect him too. Also I would love for Ewing to stick it to me and prove me wrong.

I just didnt think Quinn played well after he came back from yr out, but was delighted with his Connacht final performance and appreciate that, McNamara was my favourite forward before he went back to rovers and never cameback the same player. Once they cross the white line for Sligo I roar these lads on on. I want them to prove me wrong and cast away my doubts. Its just my opinion on football terms. Ive spoken to Ewing, Quinn and McNamara at length even and found them very sound lads. Really wish them all well.

Gaaboardmod3

How ye lads. My attention has been drawn to this thread, and I've been taking a look back over the last few pages. It's gotten out of hand here, so this is my opinion here.

1) Sligonian. -  I understand you are passionate about Sligo, that's good. What is not good is the manner in which you cast disparaging comments about people that can easily be identified in context, without you actually naming names. It's very easy under an online moniker to make harsh comments, and it does not give the targets a fair right of reply. I ask that you consider this in future, and temper your comments. Try and read them before you post them. No one says you can't be critical, or honest, but be measured. Any recurrance of something like the post I have PM'ed to you will result in a ban.

2) Mano - You need to calm down as well. While Sligonian's posts are undoubtedly inflammatory to the reader, whatever his intentions may be, retaliation is also an offence, and you need to ease off on the abuse. If you don't/can't do that, I suggest you either ignore Sligonian's posts, or report them. Anything else and you're going to get a ban yourself.

3) Sprinter - That is unacceptable. You cannot threaten physical violence on a poster because of what he posts. Sligonian was out of order, but you are even more so. I'm inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt because you are obviously reacting to comments made and you are a newcomer, but this is the last time. The two most serious offences are revealing a posters identity when they do not want that or threatening them. Ireland is a small country and these threats have to be taken seriously. A warning for now, but anything like that again and it's the road.

Thanks, and calm down. My own county is far worse than Sligo :D

sprinter

He's a fool and needs to be put off this discussion board for once and for all. The debate on Sligo football has gone down hill since he came on look at the posts over the last year he contributes 80% to 90% of all posts the rest of the lads have gone away. As I said yesterday I have been looking at this board for the last six years and decided to join up this week to start this campaign after his attacks on my club you can only listen and read so much sh**.

The other point I would like to make is that I know a number of county players that occasionally look up this discussion board and have read the fools comments. We all know the efforts county players put into training and the time involved and I feel they deserve the upmost respect for their efforts no matter what you think of their personal abilities and to have this fool come on here and run his opinion over Sligo players is an insult to them.

As I stated yesterday was I a fool to join this discussion board to start my campaign? I been involved in football all my life and played at a reasonable level for both club and county and have heard fools like this all my life from the stands shouting down stupid comments 99% of time you ignore them but this week its time to shut this guy up for once and for all.

The comments made about my club were disgraceful for this fool to call himself a gael is an insult to the GAA and the GAA does not need fools like this. He would be better off going to the showgrounds his opinions might be better received there.

Now if I get banned for these comments so be it, but the proof of my argument is in the lack of posts on this page from other Sligo people and the fall off in debate from regular members. 

I take back the physical violence threat said in the heat of the moment, but for anyone to insult my GAA club in the way this fool has comes close to a good slap.

Gaaboardmod3

I understand you view spirinter, and I empathise, more than you might guess actually, but there has to be some form of rational debate. Sligonian has been warned over his over the top comments, and that's the end of it as far as I am concerned unless he fails to heed the warning.

If that occurs, I suggest you report the post, rather than turning the thread into a pot of abuse, because whatever about OTT viewpoints, it's abuse and counter abuse that make threads unreadable for people who are not involved in the row themselves.

Finally, can I draw all of your attention to the following rules, and this is not aimed at any one poster in particular, but are the standards by which reports can be made if necessary

1. Personal abuse.
    Personal abuse is one of the most common problems on internet boards. Known sometimes as 'playing the man', whether foul language is used or not, this behaviour is
    not allowed.
    e.g. Calling someone a fat fool is the same as calling someone something more vulgar. This rule applies even in situations where another user has breached this, or
    another rule. Retaliation is still a breach of the rule.

2. Libellous/insulting posts about a real person
   In this day and age, many more people are becoming aware of the existance of boards such as this. While this is generally a good thing, it also means that the posts are
   more likely to be read by a casual visitor to the site. In these circumstances, the board must protect itself against allegations of libel, or defamation and so any posts
   which make derogatory remarks about a named, or clearly implied, individual, are a serious breach of the rules, and dangerous to the board itself. This particularly applies
   to individuals' private lives, finances, legal issues etc etc. This also applies to unwarranted abuse of GAA players and officials.

sprinter

fair point Gaaboardmod3 and well presented and its good to have this debate at last.

As I have stated previously I have viewed the debates on this Board for well over six years without making any comments and it has at times been enjoyable especially the topics carried on the general discussion site and congratulations to you and your colleagues for managing it so well over the years.

However I will again draw your attention to Sligonian's insults to my club and the un rational arguments he put forward that would be laughed at in a serious debate.

While you can continually laugh off his remarks there comes a time when he crosses the line and takes things too far. He's done this now on numerous occasions over the last two years.

Finally Gaaboardmod3 I would like you to take into account the planform Sligonian is getting to voice his opinions. I would hope sligo people on this site would know his insults regarding Tourlestrane are way off the mark, but this does not run true for visitors from outside the county who visit the topic and come away with a different analysis of Tourlestrane football club.

I know Tourlestrane would be far from loved around the county and we can carry ourselves a bit high and mighty at times. But one thing you have to give us is the hard and long hours that have gone in over the last ten years to build the pitch and facilities to what it is today and for this fellow to get a platform  to have a pop at us is disgraceful and he should be banned for once and for all.

I will continue to question your judgment on allowing this guy to voice his opinions on this site and will raise it at every opportunity.

Thank you

The sprinter         

stew

Quote from: sprinter on November 19, 2009, 03:15:26 PM
fair point Gaaboardmod3 and well presented and its good to have this debate at last.

As I have stated previously I have viewed the debates on this Board for well over six years without making any comments and it has at times been enjoyable especially the topics carried on the general discussion site and congratulations to you and your colleagues for managing it so well over the years.

However I will again draw your attention to Sligonian's insults to my club and the un rational arguments he put forward that would be laughed at in a serious debate.

While you can continually laugh off his remarks there comes a time when he crosses the line and takes things too far. He's done this now on numerous occasions over the last two years.

Finally Gaaboardmod3 I would like you to take into account the planform Sligonian is getting to voice his opinions. I would hope sligo people on this site would know his insults regarding Tourlestrane are way off the mark, but this does not run true for visitors from outside the county who visit the topic and come away with a different analysis of Tourlestrane football club.

I know Tourlestrane would be far from loved around the county and we can carry ourselves a bit high and mighty at times. But one thing you have to give us is the hard and long hours that have gone in over the last ten years to build the pitch and facilities to what it is today and for this fellow to get a platform  to have a pop at us is disgraceful and he should be banned for once and for all.

I will continue to question your judgment on allowing this guy to voice his opinions on this site and will raise it at every opportunity.

Thank you

The sprinter         

Eh I think that the mod has asked for all three of you to conduct ourselves in a civil manner going forward, you seem hell bent on continuing to cause trouble, being a six year lurker does not give you te right to threaten board members. calm down and if ou disagree with sligonian then let him know it in a civilized way, in other words use his own words against him and counter his argument.Threatening him bodily harm does nobody any good and this board is great craic at times, enjoy it.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gaaboardmod3

Correct stew. Also sprinter, if I could suggest, the defence you put forth in your post to me is far more eloquent and powerful than your initial replies to Sligonian. That's the route to follow.

Anyway, as stew says, I'm simply asking that ye all behave like adults, and if you feel any poster is getting out of line in personalising or making libellous comments about a person or club/club officials then report it as such.

Thanks

magpie seanie

Well holy God! You are away from the board for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose! I get the jist of it alright, I had read the start of it which seems now to be deleted.

Not getting involved but would like to put on record the admiration and jealousy I have for Tourlestrane and their fantastic facilities. God knows we've tried fierce hard down our way to do likewise but have met persecution at every turn. There's a lot to be said for a tight knit community even if it means you have smaller numbers to pick from.

Anyway - hope this row can be put behind all and it looks to me like we've got a few more Sligo posters out of it. I hope that they keep posting.

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 19, 2009, 06:41:10 PM
Well holy God! You are away from the board for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose! I get the jist of it alright, I had read the start of it which seems now to be deleted.

Not getting involved but would like to put on record the admiration and jealousy I have for Tourlestrane and their fantastic facilities. God knows we've tried fierce hard down our way to do likewise but have met persecution at every turn. There's a lot to be said for a tight knit community even if it means you have smaller numbers to pick from.

Anyway - hope this row can be put behind all and it looks to me like we've got a few more Sligo posters out of it. I hope that they keep posting.

Well ye all have made a convert out of me, I wish you nothing but the best of luck come the championship.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

SLIGONIAN

From Sligogaa.ie

http://www.sligogaa.ie/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleid=6399

Sligo County Board Press release re: Training facility

The Executive of Sligo County Board have  agreed to proceed with the purchase of 21 acres approx. of land in the Scarden area off the Strandhill Road in Sligo. It is proposed that this site will be used to accommodate a Training ground, dressing rooms, meeting room and associated services. The area should accommodate 3 no. full size pitches of which one at least will be "All weather."
The residents in the immediate area have been contacted about the purchase and the Development Committee will be available to answer any queries about the future plans for the site. 
Sligo County Board have long recognised that the provision of a designated training ground is essential for the future of Gaelic games in the County. These facilities will be available to all members of the Association in Sligo.
The Board is excited about this Development which will enhance the prospects of Teams at all grades throughout the County.

Id like to wish everyone associated and involved in this development all the best. Has to happen this time. Too man times before this has been announced and not happened. In my head a few obstacles to it happening would be money, and the local residents. Is this seperate to Coolera or like the development a few yrs agoin conjunction with the club?

Westie

Hi All

This is great news and hopefully this time it happens. Had an idea something was up but they(the executive) kept their cards close to their chest.

Can anyone tell me for the Connacht one does Sligo have to make a contribution? I do agree with Sligonian on this one as I think it is an absolute waste of money and is only for the benefit of Prenty (why do GAA big wigs like to have some big structure as their legacy) and those in the environs. Galway have Loughgeorge, Leitrim hope to have Annaduff. Even for Mayo Ballyhaunis is not a good location.  Then can build it if there is no funds coming from Sligo but all our money should be going to the new facility in Strandhill. I know I have never heard the Connacht one discussed at meetings in the club so .....

Well done to Leonard and co. on this.....

SLIGONIAN

Well Westie Crokepark have 10 million to give to Connacht from the extra matches. The way I see it there are 5 counties in Connacht, so we should look and Im mean get the 2 million cut from that 10 million and tell Connacht and Mayo to look after themselves with the 8 million left over. 2 million would be a great start and is worth fighting for. We cannont allow us to contribute to the waste of money in ballyhaunis.

I passed Leitrims in annaduff when I was home and something isnt right there, it looked abandoned. WOuldnt be suprised if theyre looking for the same as us.

SLIGONIAN

Drumcliffe got a fierce hammering against a better clonakilty. Pity getting that far and losing by that. Still a great yr though.

Great win for Corofin, I hear bonfires are burning bright in North Sligo ;).