Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Bunnieman on September 14, 2009, 05:50:30 PM
Yes Sligoian I know but Harps second team are decent enough. They've been in the semi-finals these last few years however I must admit that I expected a 4-5 point win. However we got a rattle but in fairness the best team one in the end. At half time you would have thought it was game over at 0-6 to 0-1, and we even extended our lead. But the last 12 minutes or so was terrible for us.

However as they say a win is a win. Even if by a point. I also heard that Harps intermediates bet Harps seniors in a challenge and it wouldnt suprise me either.
Ya fair point, we struggled last yr in the intermediate so i cant talk...expected ye to win well though. Should be a good final all the same. Good luck.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

8,000 at the Galway county semi finals, massive attendance, how many was there last Sunday and will be this friday at ours, couple of hundred tops. I would love to know how to get more people to our club games....what else do people be doing in Sligo on weekends?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Owenmoresider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 15, 2009, 10:47:32 AM
8,000 at the Galway county semi finals, massive attendance, how many was there last Sunday and will be this friday at ours, couple of hundred tops. I would love to know how to get more people to our club games....what else do people be doing in Sligo on weekends?
Read Duine Eile's post in full, and replace the words "Pearse Stadium" with "Markievicz Park", and that's one certain element of the whole answer. Won't get f**k-all in the town going to games, and most folk in the south and west would bother going unless it was of local interest. Aside from that, it's hard to say, a general indifference to the club scene is evident sadly, doubt I've ever seen 1000-plus at a game bar county finals, and even then it's not much beyond that. As well as that there doesn't tend to be much of an edge to it either a lot of the time, not like a Crossmolina/Ballina game for example.

As for Saturday - hard to know how Coolera lost it, besides the Best Referee in Ireland (®) doing his bit for the cause, it'll be charity if Harps win the final considering how they have played up to now.

magpie seanie

I don't think the venue matters all that much in Sligo. Unlike Pearse Stadium in Galway you're not going to get stuck in traffic getting away from it. You get the feeling there is a bigger crowd at a game in Tubber or Tourlestrane as they are more compact but I'd say the figures don't back that up. At the latter stages of a championship Markievicz has to be the venue as if you can't do your stuff there you don't deserve to win any championship.

Reckon more could be done to promote the games especially with the higher profile of the county team in recent years. I expect things will improve starting with the county final this year. I know its a 125 celebration event but I think it might open a few eyes.

Will try to put a few words together about Saturday now. first half was unbelievable. We totally dominated for most of it but just could not score. It was obviopus Harps would have a spell ad did so coming up to and just after half time. Some of our lads had half given up but a few of the subs relit the fire and when the goal went in I thought we'd get at least a draw. Somehow we ballsed that up too, wasting easy point chances in the closing stages. I'm still in a state of shock to be honest. I hope this doesn't come out wrong but I was stunned at how bad they were. For us to lose took a calamity of errors, a self destruction of epic proportions and I've seen a good few in my time. Most of the Harps people are the finest and I wish them well. I can still hardly believe we lost.

I think it's set up for John's now and possibly they could do the double. Tourlestrane will be formidable foes as always but if John's heads are right (a big if, granted) they can do it. However, as always when my team goes out, I don't really care who wins it.

All that's left now is the unlikely lads - our juniors. Lost a key man last Saturday but hopefully we can go at least one more step.

Bunnieman

Heard from a referee that the refs for the finals were announced that night.

Malachy Maher for the Intermediate and Des Henry for the Senior. What do ye make of it??

As a Bunnie I hope Malachy doesnt take the normal Curry stance and go against us seeing that there is a slight bitterness still there.

magpie seanie

I wouldn't think Malachy is spiteful like that at all. He'll make an odd mistake but they'd be honest ones in my opinion. I think Des Henry has improved a lot this year. Has been pretty good when I've seen him recently. Good luck to them both.

Mano

Would fancy Tourlestrane to win this evening in normal circumstances. They are the better team of the 2 on paper and returned to form with a convincing performance against Ballymote in the absence of Eamon.
However John's have huge motivation now to win their first title as a tribute to their legendary joint manager Johnny Stenson. If tourlestrane don't match their passion it could be a John's Harps final. I still think we may have enough to prevail and reach another county final.

magpie seanie

I would expect whoever wins this game to win the final. I find it hard to call this for a few reasons but I'll admit I'd be leaning towards John's. Think they will take some beating if their heads are right which could be a big if.

criostlinn

Is McNamara not playing tonight. I heard in Sligo today that he was on holidays

Mano

Quote from: criostlinn on September 18, 2009, 11:59:05 AM
Surely he wouldn't go on holidays during the knockout stages of the championship

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: Mano on September 18, 2009, 02:18:34 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on September 18, 2009, 11:59:05 AM
Surely he wouldn't go on holidays during the knockout stages of the championship
They are not missing him at the half way mark anyway. Looks like Egan could be brought on at half time

Mano

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: Mano on September 18, 2009, 07:00:50 PM
Whats the score?

1-13 to 1-9 to johns, eight minutes to go. Stenson goal for St.Johns early in 2nd- written in the heavens. 1-14 now

jjjshabadoojnr

Whats the score?
momentum with tour. egan and henry on top. 1-14 to 1-12. johs trying to hang on

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on September 18, 2009, 07:19:13 PM
Whats the score?
momentum with tour. egan and henry on top. 1-14 to 1-12. johs trying to hang on
all square at the final whistle. Controversy over a tour point which was wide, although Johns 8 up at one stage.