Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

magpie seanie

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 07, 2009, 02:15:40 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 07, 2009, 11:39:57 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 07, 2009, 09:23:14 AM
Castleconnor in Div4 at Felie won 2 lost 1, not a bad showing. Didnt get out of there group though. Ballina stephenites didnt put up a bad showing either in Div1. Ironic that the 2 clubs border each other both won there county feiles but disappointed our lads are not in higher division.

Can someone explain the format? How do they work out the rankings for putting under u14 teams in different divisions? Im a little disppointed our best team was div4 and didnt win it. Not sure the divisions have a huge gulf in class either which may explain it.

I'd say that its a combination of what Div of the NFL your county is in and how previous years reprensentative have done that decides what Division in Feile teams get put in.

Only one Sligo team ever has won their division at Feile Peil and it was Division 4 in 1990 in Salthill of all places (usually not a happy hunting ground for Sligo footballers). We went on to play Omagh St. Enda's (who had won Division 2 in Feile) in Healy Park later that summer and beat them on their own turf. Our mentors tried to arrange a trip to Cork to play the Div 1 winners St. Finbarrs but it didn't happen. We had a exceptional team at that time but by the time we got to minor we were carrying lads who had lost interest and couldn't win Sligo.

Whats the best way to keep players interested in your opinion Seanie?

Big question and one that would take me a long time to answer. In our specific case we had it too easy when we were younger and it bred complacency. I could write a few chapters in a book about it but not winning a minor championship medal is a big disappointment for me - not only that year. I had 3 cracks at it and didn't manage it. Lost 2 U-21 finals as well! Puts winning rings round us at U-14 in perspective. Winning at the lower ages presents its own problems.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 07, 2009, 02:37:40 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 07, 2009, 02:15:40 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 07, 2009, 11:39:57 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 07, 2009, 09:23:14 AM
Castleconnor in Div4 at Felie won 2 lost 1, not a bad showing. Didnt get out of there group though. Ballina stephenites didnt put up a bad showing either in Div1. Ironic that the 2 clubs border each other both won there county feiles but disappointed our lads are not in higher division.

Can someone explain the format? How do they work out the rankings for putting under u14 teams in different divisions? Im a little disppointed our best team was div4 and didnt win it. Not sure the divisions have a huge gulf in class either which may explain it.

I'd say that its a combination of what Div of the NFL your county is in and how previous years reprensentative have done that decides what Division in Feile teams get put in.

Only one Sligo team ever has won their division at Feile Peil and it was Division 4 in 1990 in Salthill of all places (usually not a happy hunting ground for Sligo footballers). We went on to play Omagh St. Enda's (who had won Division 2 in Feile) in Healy Park later that summer and beat them on their own turf. Our mentors tried to arrange a trip to Cork to play the Div 1 winners St. Finbarrs but it didn't happen. We had a exceptional team at that time but by the time we got to minor we were carrying lads who had lost interest and couldn't win Sligo.

Whats the best way to keep players interested in your opinion Seanie?

Big question and one that would take me a long time to answer. In our specific case we had it too easy when we were younger and it bred complacency. I could write a few chapters in a book about it but not winning a minor championship medal is a big disappointment for me - not only that year. I had 3 cracks at it and didn't manage it. Lost 2 U-21 finals as well! Puts winning rings round us at U-14 in perspective. Winning at the lower ages presents its own problems.

Is this minor A and u21 A?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Yes. 2 U-21A finals and the 3 minors I was on about were all "A" - North Div final, county final and semi final where we lost to eventual winners each time. I actually never played "B" grade at any age.

Mano

I lost under 12 and under 16 county finals to Coolera. Most of our team went on to play senior and win county championships whereas i don't think many of Cooleras team continued on. I think main problem in town areas is there is more competition between the various sports (rugby, soccer, golf)

magpie seanie

Mano - I know the team you are on about and I was at that U-16 final (in Ballymote, wasn't it?). Some did come through and funnily enough one did win 2 SFC medals - with St Marys! We got a couple of stalwarts alright but there were some really talented players on that team that didn't come through.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 08, 2009, 11:53:35 AM
Mano - I know the team you are on about and I was at that U-16 final (in Ballymote, wasn't it?). Some did come through and funnily enough one did win 2 SFC medals - with St Marys! We got a couple of stalwarts alright but there were some really talented players on that team that didn't come through.

It was in Ballymote alright. I was playing wing back aged 13-had a nightmare. I was only a small lad playing against a big Coolera team. I was marking a speedster named Hammond or Hampson something like that - still have the programme at home. The fella who played with Marys was a full back if i'm not mistaken.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on July 08, 2009, 12:33:39 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 08, 2009, 11:53:35 AM

It was in Ballymote alright. I was playing wing back aged 13-had a nightmare. I was only a small lad playing against a big Coolera team. I was marking a speedster named Hammond or Hampson something like that - still have the programme at home. The fella who played with Marys was a full back if i'm not mistaken.

I was thinking you must have been young enough. Hampson would have been his name alright. They were twins and both flying machines and very athletic. You're right on the full back too I think. It would have been a big enough team alright. We had won the U-12 earlier in the year so it was a successful year at underage for the club even if the seniors were still stuck in intermediate. I don't think we've managed two A titles in the one year since. Two of the lads you played against that day (that I can think of) started the IFC final that we won the year after.

Teeling Gael

Interesting memories Seanie. Presume the 2 that started were Gilligan and Mc Mahon ?? Ken O Neill was one of the standout players on that team I think. was there a Lindsay lad/Clinton as well or is memory playing tricks ?? T Cullinane been another I recall from distant memory.

Can you stick up the main guys on your Feile winning team Seanie also for the sake of it. D Gildea who would have peaked around then , J Joyce , S Carty ,R Fabozzi , S o Neill presume were all playing but cant help but think I am forgetting a couple of the star guys. Funnily Carew would have been a year too old and I imagine John Mac was too young to be involved ?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Teeling Gael on July 08, 2009, 02:24:25 PM
Interesting memories Seanie. Presume the 2 that started were Gilligan and Mc Mahon ?? Ken O Neill was one of the standout players on that team I think. was there a Lindsay lad/Clinton as well or is memory playing tricks ?? T Cullinane been another I recall from distant memory.

Can you stick up the main guys on your Feile winning team Seanie also for the sake of it. D Gildea who would have peaked around then , J Joyce , S Carty ,R Fabozzi , S o Neill presume were all playing but cant help but think I am forgetting a couple of the star guys. Funnily Carew would have been a year too old and I imagine John Mac was too young to be involved ?

All correct TG, very impressive. John Mac was a couple of years younger than us but played corner back (!!!!!) on the Feile team and Carl Gilligan was the same age as him at wing forward. I'm 90% sure I can name the team but I'll check it later and post the correct version. Other starters not yet mentioned would have included L. McLoughlin, B. Bourke, P. Colleran & J. Gilroy. Those lads were serious forwards in those days.

magpie seanie

Think our Feile team was along the lines of: S. Carroll, J. McPartland, R. Fabozzi, B. Duggan, D. McCoy, J. Joyce, S. O'Neill, S. Carty, L. McLoughlin, B. Bourke, D. Gildea, C. Gilligan, P. Colleran, J. Gilroy, S. Rooney.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 07, 2009, 10:20:36 PM
Yes. 2 U-21A finals and the 3 minors I was on about were all "A" - North Div final, county final and semi final where we lost to eventual winners each time. I actually never played "B" grade at any age.

Never played A, but won C & B league and Championships, well we were all seperate clubs at one stage Cliffoney(smallest area), grange and maugherow. With the first amalgamation with grange in my time meaning we competed in B and obviously now in A with all 3 areas almagamated. Sweetest victory of my playing career u14 c final Cliffoneys  win over maugherow with 2 grange illegals playing with them and all of us in grange vec :).

I think I remember that Joyce lad, red head playing for Sligo? Must be frustrating someone leaving ye for Marys of all clubs.....

Ironically Ewing is a maugherow man and should be playing for us instead of Drumcliffe but he went to rathcormac school, damn that rule. To be honest I would say we are quite a bit stronger than them at all ages including senior so he must love the club and not there just to win more but he would mix nicely with our current crop of young talent at senior.

magpie seanie

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 09, 2009, 10:38:51 AM

Never played A, but won C & B league and Championships, well we were all seperate clubs at one stage Cliffoney(smallest area), grange and maugherow. With the first amalgamation with grange in my time meaning we competed in B and obviously now in A with all 3 areas almagamated. Sweetest victory of my playing career u14 c final Cliffoneys  win over maugherow with 2 grange illegals playing with them and all of us in grange vec :).

I think I remember that Joyce lad, red head playing for Sligo? Must be frustrating someone leaving ye for Marys of all clubs.....

Ironically Ewing is a maugherow man and should be playing for us instead of Drumcliffe but he went to rathcormac school, damn that rule. To be honest I would say we are quite a bit stronger than them at all ages including senior so he must love the club and not there just to win more but he would mix nicely with our current crop of young talent at senior.

That's the same lad. The best footballer I ever played with and I played with plenty of good ones. He is based in Washington DC this last 6-7 years or more. He was home recently on holiday and trained with the lads and is still as good as ever.

Is Maugherow not technically part of Drumcliffe parish? Am I right in saying that the former Maugherow club area would be lukewarm enough towards the SMG club?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 09, 2009, 10:51:46 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 09, 2009, 10:38:51 AM

That's the same lad. The best footballer I ever played with and I played with plenty of good ones. He is based in Washington DC this last 6-7 years or more. He was home recently on holiday and trained with the lads and is still as good as ever.

Is Maugherow not technically part of Drumcliffe parish? Am I right in saying that the former Maugherow club area would be lukewarm enough towards the SMG club?

Ya was impressed with him alright, we didnt get to long out of him which was a pity. Fierce tigeress player if i remember correctly.

Maugherow is actually a parish on its own now last 20yrs or so. My Dad is a maugherow man, i know toher gets a transfer from us every yr to play with them, I think theres a local agreement to let players from Maugherow choose there fate and anyways Ewing went to school in rathcormac so qualifies that way but Maugherow is our club area. Theyre not commited at all to the club the ones that do play only 2 or 3 and they have to coaxed every year, seem way more commited to soccer. The late great Michael Dunleavy was a huge loss, he was class act and commited and after that tragedy his brother and few others stopped coming. Pity but understandable. Maugherow have some very astute GAA men and well respected. Cliffoney and Maugherow get on Great but both areas have a mutual dislike for Grange, as I said before the club isnt united but is a very young one. Id say thats where your lukewarm observation comes from. That is why I love my county more. If it was Cliffoney on its own it would be different case and we'd have some team now.

stevo-08

QuoteSligo unable to defend Manning Cup Title 

Sligo will not be able to defend the Manning Cup after Connacht Council refused to grant them permission to enter the 2009 competition.

The Yeats County had already played Longford and were preparing for a meeting with Offaly when word circulated that the provincial council had decided not to sanction any Connacht counties to participate in this year's U16 intercounty competition.

Roscommon and Leitrim were also down to take part, along with Westmeath. The future of the competition has now been cast into doubt.

Connacht Council feels that the competition - which was being run on a league basis this year rather than the traditional blitz format - was not being held in accordance with agreements struck with Croke Park.

According to the competition's organising committee secretary Sean McMullin: "The Manning Cup has been running for the past 46 years and has been very beneficial in developing intercounty teams in the U16 group."

Saw the above on sligogaa website. Anyone know what the story is there. Very disappointing for the U16 players Im sure.

GaelicGames.In

Hi there,

I'm trying to put together a list of all the recent Sligo footballers and their clubs. Can any one help by adding in the first names and the clubs?

N   Clancy

T   Kilgannon

P   Doohan

D   Durkin

M   McGuire

R   Brennan

C   O'Meara

K   Killeen

D   McGarty

T   Brennan

P   Taylor

Eamon   O'Hara