Minor Blitz Results

Calry/St Josephs  2-12 6-6 St Molaise Gaels  TBC   
St Farnans  2-6 2-11 Calry/St Josephs  TBC   
Castleconnor  3-7 3-11 St Molaise Gaels  TBC   
Ballymote/Bunninadden  3-1 1-10 Castleconnor  Kevinsfort   
Geevagh  3-4 3-9 St Molaise Gaels  Kevinsfort   
St Farnans  4-5 3-6 St Marys  Kevinsfort   
Coolera-Strandhill  1-4 1-7 Calry/St Josephs  Kevinsfort

Some cracking results for the club back home, I know blitzs are different format.The most pleasing aspect for me is how close all the games were. Fair play to all involved. Obviously a Liam Og iniative, Id have alot of time for this guy and the work hes done, there was a 2 page article in Sligo champion a few yrs ago and his plan and ideas impressed me. I know there are alot of coaches in Sligo and I would say he is the best and I would hope the CB support him and have a plan and vision in place to maximise his talents, and not the waffle in the development plan i read few yrs ago.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Our lads were a little disappointed with our showing after a promising group stage. The competition was for non-exam students and was a good idea. Possibly should have been completed before the exams finished is the only minor criticism but Liam Óg is doing great work alright. I hope this becomes an annual fixture and more of this type of stuff happens. I understand that something similar is happening for U-14 which is a good job as our lads would otherwise be finished football for the year as of June 5th.

Did anyone else see the bags they made of the U-16 championship? Only 4 teams in the top grade. I swear they just make this up as they go along.

SLIGONIAN

From Sligogaa.ie

Senior League Division 1
Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment   
Ballymote  1-15 1-7 Tourlestrane  Ballymote Round 13 

Senior League Division 2
St Farnans  2-17 3-12 Bunninadden  St Farnans Round 13   
St Molaise Gaels  1-13 2-8 St Johns  St Molaise Gaels Round 13   
Shamrock Gaels  1-18 3-5 Easkey  Shamrock Gaels Park-Coola Round 13 

Senior League Division 5
Shamrock Gaels  3-19 1-7 Castleconnor  Shamrock Gaels Park-Coola Round 7   
Drumcliffe Rosses Point  1-9 0-15 Tubbercurry  Drumcliffe Round 7

Friday 19th June 2009
Senior League Division 1
Curry  0-8 1-12 Eastern Harps  Curry Round 13   
Tubbercurry  0-7 2-7 Coolera-Strandhill  Tubbercurry Round 13 

Good result for us, congrats to all involved. Farnans with the win of the weekend.

Balymote another decent scalp. Harps and Coolera good wins away.

magpie seanie

Leagues nearly wrapped up and 5 weeks to go 'til championship. Division 1 final likely to be between Harps and Tourlestrane again. Ballymote can sneak in with a win in Ranboro and a defeat for either Tour against Tubber or Harps against already relegated Castleconnor. Both the top team are at home so would be odds on to progress. At the bottom Castleconnor are gone and Geevagh and Tubber meet this Friday in a virtual relegation decider. Not sure where this will be played but its down as a home game for Geevagh. I wouldn't be surprised if they overturned the 2 point defeat of a few weeks back. It could be tasty!

In Division 2 John's look good for a spot in the final with Bunninadden most likely to join them. The result of the "not played" Bunninadden v. Mary's game could tidy this up. Shamrock Gaels are still capable of getting into the final with a win in their last game away to Mary's but need favours. Calry, despite a big improvement recently and Farnans drop to Div 3.

The picture in Div 3 is still unclear with several back matches yet to be played. Drumcliffe are virtually certain of a final spot and Molaise Gaels second team are going back to Div 4. Harps seconds could edge out everyone for the second promotion berth and games on Tuesday and Sunday this week will go a long way to determining their chances. Cloonacool or Coolaney/Mullinabreena will make the drop but lots of games left so hard to see who will go.

In Div 4 everythnig is decided. Tourlestrane and Curry will go up, the former after dishing out some serious beatings in the last week. Mary's will drop to Div 5.

Tubber are well placed to gain promotion from Div 5 though Calry with two wins could still be in the hunt.

So that's how she lies heading into the Sligo/Galway game. Still a bit to play for but shampionship beginning to focus minds from now on.

Just want to add congrats to our younger group of U-12's who won the C shield yesterday in Markievicz Park. This is our second squad and is comprised of lads who will all be U-12 next year.

SLIGONIAN

http://www.sligogaa.ie/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleid=5034

Group stage draw up on this link for CLUB SLIGO 7s, 11 clubs involved, is disappointing, no St Molaise Gaels, Tourlestrane, Balymote, Harps etc.. 7 a side should of seen all clubs field 1 team at least especially harps. Good Luck to those involved and shame on the ones not. Fair play to Coolera entering 2 teams.

Obviously Id like to know why not? Its a fundraising venture and win/win situation for all those involved, improves fitness for sure, a bit of craic improving morale. It was well advertised so no excuse and was giving back to the county.

magpie seanie

Am surprised less than half the clubs in the county bothered with it. How hard could it be to round up 7-10 lads for a Saturday before Sligo play (at home) in the Connacht Senior Football Championship. I guess, like with the U-12 competition and many other things in Sligo we don't really do "NEW" or "CHANGE" very well. I expect next year will see a greater number of teams entered. I know one club have something organised for the weekend and that's why they are not participating though they could have sent a second or junior team.

Was at our U-16 game last night in the so-called "A2" championship against St. Pats. Both sides were sprinkled with county u-16's and u-15 development squad players and there was some good football throughout. Our lads were slow to settle and conceded 2 goals in the first quarter - we had no anwser at the time to Pat's direct attacking play and were lucky to no concede more. A few switches improved out lads and we trailed by 2 at the break. Pats kicked on again at the start of the second half but our lads finally hit top gear and in the end ran out convincing winners. Don't think the score does any justice to Pats who are a well drilled outfit.

SLIGONIAN

Congrats to Coolera on winning the Club Sligo 7s, Hope it went well for everyone, some close high scoring matches suggests it was.

magpie seanie

Sligonian - good post on Sligogaa about the sevens. My God - there are some collection of dinosaurs involved in Sligo GAA with some of the comments you resonded to. Originality is not just frowned upon, it is openly feared and attacked. We are our own worst enemies. Its a mindset we have to change to improve and its not that easy to do so.

Didn't really have the heart to comment on the sevens after the mixed emotions it conjures up for me.  A well run, enjoyable event that Iset up a pitch for, played in and enjoyed watching my club win but the news that came through from Wicklow really overshadowed it for me. Glad we won it though and very proud that James Curran (who was outstanding by the way) dedicated the victory to Ciarán.

Last night we stole a win in Div 4 from Ownmore Gaels. We waited for them to take some of their better players off and made a good last quarter surge to nick it. Game didn't matter anyway in terms of league positions. A nice bit of work done up there since I last was there. Looks a better setup already - I assume a training area will go in between the pitch and the main road?

Farrandeelin

Why don't ye have a format, like us in Mayo where the league and Championship run alongside other. Well they kinda do anyway? Like we've played 6 rounds of the league and have 5 more to go, to be played in Autumn and the Championship is now at the 2nd game of all groups this weekend. Not saying it's perfect or anything but it keeps players interested I think.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magpie seanie

Farrandeelin - I play junior for my club and my next match is on August 9th.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 04, 2009, 11:22:24 AM
Sligonian - good post on Sligogaa about the sevens. My God - there are some collection of dinosaurs involved in Sligo GAA with some of the comments you resonded to. Originality is not just frowned upon, it is openly feared and attacked. We are our own worst enemies. Its a mindset we have to change to improve and its not that easy to do so.

Didn't really have the heart to comment on the sevens after the mixed emotions it conjures up for me.  A well run, enjoyable event that Iset up a pitch for, played in and enjoyed watching my club win but the news that came through from Wicklow really overshadowed it for me. Glad we won it though and very proud that James Curran (who was outstanding by the way) dedicated the victory to Ciarán.

Last night we stole a win in Div 4 from Ownmore Gaels. We waited for them to take some of their better players off and made a good last quarter surge to nick it. Game didn't matter anyway in terms of league positions. A nice bit of work done up there since I last was there. Looks a better setup already - I assume a training area will go in between the pitch and the main road?

Ya well Seanie, it definitly overshadowed everything last weekend and im sure ye who knew him must of hit ye hard. I was glad ye won because it was a way a to honour him straight away. Maybe the trophy for the 7s could be named after him? but still call it ClubSligo 7s tournament. Fair play to ya getting 2 teams out aswell.

On the Sligogaa.ie sometimes I get disheartened, but Id like to think these guys wont be around forever and no one knows the future. I know there are a few good people in Sligo CB and thatll suffice for now and hopefully that will multiply and those of us that can make a difference will.

Mano

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 04, 2009, 06:22:13 PM
Why don't ye have a format, like us in Mayo where the league and Championship run alongside other. Well they kinda do anyway? Like we've played 6 rounds of the league and have 5 more to go, to be played in Autumn and the Championship is now at the 2nd game of all groups this weekend. Not saying it's perfect or anything but it keeps players interested I think.

County board decision to play in its current format (playoff the league and then commence championship after county team have been knocked out of all competitions) is to avoid something similar to what happened Ronan McGarrity at the weekend.

Its very frustrating for club players as they are left idle for the months most suitable to football. Its is the main reason i quit football as you cannot organise holidays as you don't know when championship will start. They have dates set this year but if Sligo win a few games in the qualifiers those games will more than likely be postponed till later.

SLIGONIAN

Castleconnor in Div4 at Felie won 2 lost 1, not a bad showing. Didnt get out of there group though. Ballina stephenites didnt put up a bad showing either in Div1. Ironic that the 2 clubs border each other both won there county feiles but disappointed our lads are not in higher division.

Can someone explain the format? How do they work out the rankings for putting under u14 teams in different divisions? Im a little disppointed our best team was div4 and didnt win it. Not sure the divisions have a huge gulf in class either which may explain it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 07, 2009, 09:23:14 AM
Castleconnor in Div4 at Felie won 2 lost 1, not a bad showing. Didnt get out of there group though. Ballina stephenites didnt put up a bad showing either in Div1. Ironic that the 2 clubs border each other both won there county feiles but disappointed our lads are not in higher division.

Can someone explain the format? How do they work out the rankings for putting under u14 teams in different divisions? Im a little disppointed our best team was div4 and didnt win it. Not sure the divisions have a huge gulf in class either which may explain it.

I'd say that its a combination of what Div of the NFL your county is in and how previous years reprensentative have done that decides what Division in Feile teams get put in.

Only one Sligo team ever has won their division at Feile Peil and it was Division 4 in 1990 in Salthill of all places (usually not a happy hunting ground for Sligo footballers). We went on to play Omagh St. Enda's (who had won Division 2 in Feile) in Healy Park later that summer and beat them on their own turf. Our mentors tried to arrange a trip to Cork to play the Div 1 winners St. Finbarrs but it didn't happen. We had a exceptional team at that time but by the time we got to minor we were carrying lads who had lost interest and couldn't win Sligo.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 07, 2009, 11:39:57 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 07, 2009, 09:23:14 AM

I'd say that its a combination of what Div of the NFL your county is in and how previous years reprensentative have done that decides what Division in Feile teams get put in.

Only one Sligo team ever has won their division at Feile Peil and it was Division 4 in 1990 in Salthill of all places (usually not a happy hunting ground for Sligo footballers). We went on to play Omagh St. Enda's (who had won Division 2 in Feile) in Healy Park later that summer and beat them on their own turf. Our mentors tried to arrange a trip to Cork to play the Div 1 winners St. Finbarrs but it didn't happen. We had a exceptional team at that time but by the time we got to minor we were carrying lads who had lost interest and couldn't win Sligo.

Whats the best way to keep players interested in your opinion Seanie?