Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 18, 2009, 12:10:57 PM
Last things first - Castleconnor have an excellent U-14 team but it does look bad for Harps to be beaten so badly. No doubt they will pick it up in the years to come though.

The junior is disappointing. A home game with so many seniors eligible should have been won. Good to see Keelan progressing through the ranks.

On the club scene we got a good win in an absolute "must win" game. all credit to our lads who put aside the loss of our county players (I'll speak more of that later) to produce a strong performance. Need to add a few more wins but hopefully a corner has been turned. On the junior front we had no league game but beat John's in extra time in the North JFC last Wednesday. Have Calry this Wed and the winners face SMG in the final.

I want though to register my absolute disgust with the county senior football team management for their treatment of the clubs in Sligo who provide the players. The entire county panel were away on Saturday and were hardly able to walk on Sunday when they came back. I understand they were told not to play for their clubs yesterday - on a weekend where they were supposed to. How can this be allowed to happen? If they had to do this what was wrong with the weekend before when there were no club games? Its nothing short of a disgrace. I hear St Mary's refused to play their league game over this nad I say fair play to them. Its about time someone called stop and brought a bit of sense to proceedings. Everyone wants Sligo to succeed but you cannot keep disrespecting clubs and the senior league like this. I can only imagine what I'd be like if we'd lost!

Why would they not plan to have a meet up on the weekend the players are free?, is it a case of poor planning? What were they at that was so demanding that lads in there 20s werent fit to play the next day? Must not of been a challenge because that wouldnt take much out of ya.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Westie

Seanie, I agree totally with you.  The bedrock of the GAA is the club - - I know that the argument took place on one of these forums before about club v county.  I have always told lads to go in for trials, to make themselves available for the county but it is inccreasingly difficult to do that with the demands that once you are on the panel from minor up to senior, you are not available to the clubs.  I totally agree that they should not play with their clubs the week before championship, but other weekends for bonding and challenge matches is ridiculous.... and we are not so badly hit, so I can only imagine the bigger clubs.....  but then again it is not so long ago that a player was thrown off the county team(Sligo) for playing a league match for his club that was a vital relegation/promotion game

SLIGONIAN

On the weekender it said John Murphy was manager of the Juniors the other night, explains the loss. A bit of joke that but i wouldnt expect anything different and a joke of a performance followed.

SLIGONIAN

Friday, May 29th, sees Donegal take on Sligo in a championship build-up challenge in Ballyshannon. Note the date.

Donegal will be fine tuning their side for their meeting with Antrim on June 14th. Meanwhile the division four champions will have keen competition for places on their side to face Galway or London on June 28th.

The occasion for the challenge is the official opening of Ballyshannon's new GAA park, Pairc Aoidh Ruaidh. The culmination of over two years work, the facilities at Pairc Aoidh Ruaidh are a magnificent addition to Ballyshannon's main pitch at Father Tierney Park. Admission is ten euro, with children admitted free. Funds generated by the challenge will go towards payment of the debt generated by the construction of Pairc Aoidh Ruaidh.

Throw in is at 7pm and everyone is welcome on the what will be a great day for Ballyshannon and, hopefully, Donegal!

Keep an eye on www.aodhruadh.org for further details over the next week.

Pairc Aoidh Ruiadh Opening Programme
5.00pm: Parade led by marching band from Muldoon's Spar to Pairc Aoidh Ruaidh
5.20pm: Under-age blitzes
6.00pm: Pre-opening reception
6.30pm: Formal addresses, prayer service, cutting of the tape and unveiling of plaque
7.00pm: Donegal v Sligo
8.30pm: Post game reception - open to all

SLIGONIAN

St Molaise Gaels had 2 great wins at weekend, in Div2 and Div3. Seniors beat Calry by 3 and Inters did the same to Coolaney. Happy enough at our performance in Div2 and but for a bad start we could be alot closer to bunnys and johns. Fair play to all involved, if anything results and performances this yr have been more consistent, players are developing and more underage coming through, my Dream of a county senior title doesnt look so unrealistic now, in 2 or 3 yrs time we will be contenders IMO. No offence to the current manager who is putting great effort in and should be applauded for that, if we get a someone more tactical aware and player position sense, it could all fall into place down the line.

On another note, Galway beat London by 11pts, it was 8-4 at ht, and reports i read werent too complimentary, no matter what way you look at it, Galway arent at there best, and certainly there early season form has tailed off so hopefully that trend will continue.

magpie seanie

Absolute sickener of a defeat for our seniors yesterday. Never behind until 2 minutes plus into injury time when Harps plundered an unlikely goal to rob us (their own words). We badly could have done with the points. A very good game and our best performance of the season without a doubt. Both sides missing several players though. Interesting to see Geevagh gave Tourlestrane a good game yesterday too. Curry slaughtered Tubber.

Juniors went out of North Div c'ship on Wed to a strong Calry/St Josephs. Sligonians clubmates will have a job to beat them in the final. Lost in the league too on Saturday with a very young (and very old) team! Things should stabilise numbers wise once 3rd level exams are out of the way.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 25, 2009, 12:23:00 PM
Interesting to see Geevagh gave Tourlestrane a good game yesterday too. Curry slaughtered Tubber.

Was at this game yesterday and Tourlestrane had a full team out and were very unimpressive. Geevagh were only a point down with a few minutes left.

But the big news is O'Hara pulled his hamstring again last week and is extremely doubtful for the Galway match

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on May 25, 2009, 04:49:51 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 25, 2009, 12:23:00 PM
Interesting to see Geevagh gave Tourlestrane a good game yesterday too. Curry slaughtered Tubber.

Was at this game yesterday and Tourlestrane had a full team out and were very unimpressive. Geevagh were only a point down with a few minutes left.

But the big news is O'Hara pulled his hamstring again last week and is extremely doubtful for the Galway match

Heard since I posted earlier form a friend of a friend that Tour were quite poor. I'd expected when I saw it that Tour were a bit short but apparently not. Still - an awful long way to go to championship, 9 weeks I think for us and 11 for some.

Had heard about O'Hara's hammer but my report reckoned it wasn't too bad so this update is bad news.

paddypastit

Sad news - Sean Feeney of Easkey, father of Fintan and Shane, took ill while on holiday in Portugal amnd passed away Friday. RIP
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on June 01, 2009, 09:50:25 AM
Sad news - Sean Feeney of Easkey, father of Fintan and Shane, took ill while on holiday in Portugal amnd passed away Friday. RIP

My condolescenes, sad news.

SLIGONIAN

Our juniors lost last week to a more physical calry outfit.

Seanie will be happier this week, 1pt win over tubber. Curry beat Harps well without the county players which prob cancelled each other out.

Sligo ticking along nicely for the Galway game. Cant wait. Looking alot better prepared this year for the upcoming battle.

magpie seanie

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 04, 2009, 11:50:00 AM
Our juniors lost last week to a more physical calry outfit.

Seanie will be happier this week, 1pt win over tubber. Curry beat Harps well without the county players which prob cancelled each other out.

Sligo ticking along nicely for the Galway game. Cant wait. Looking alot better prepared this year for the upcoming battle.

Calry beat our juniors in the semi final of the North Division and they have a good young side. Wasn't too surprised they won the final as they deservedly beat a fairly strong team of ours.

Am a lot happier now. A good two point win up in Curry last night for our seniors has us in far healthier shape. One more win will guarantee safety. Juniors were desperately unlucky, conceding two goals in the last 3 or 4 minutes to lose by 2 in what was a decent performance. So things improving round our way. Still about 7 weeks to championship.

SLIGONIAN

Good win all right over Curry there Seanie, jees Balymote are doing fierce well in Div1, is it lyons and mctiernan leading them? or am I missing something, munds and mcgowan I dont rate that highly, Clancys playing with them still but he wouldnt be the fittest so its hard to understand how there doing so well and yet no player really county standard IMO.

We lost to Marys at home in a high scoring game, they had coen,brehony, johnny martyn,donnacha gallagher and j davey all playing, strong team, we lost by 4, pity one of our best players was in bulgaria, each to our own, weve always had a problem with soccer in North Sligo, disappoints me but what can you do. Brehony roasted Wilson and is in great shape, scored a whopping 0-12 5 or 6 from play and has to start against Galway IMO. In fairness was delighted to hear that not the result though. J martyn has a stormer at CHB, not having him involved is a big loss to county set up, youd think with sloyan, taylor and durkan involved theyd see that. Was unlucky with injuries at the wrong time last 2 yrs and poor management decisions what i mean by that is both the last 3 managers had mcnamara ahead of martyn and we all know that is crazy.

Westie

Seanie  -ye are safe in my opinion anyway.  We are sick. Went a point up on Tourlestrane at homewith 4 mins to go on Sat evening and deserved the victory and they scored 2-1 in that time plus injury time.  Same happened at Tubber in the league earlier this year.  Them 4 points would have us safe now. Still it is in our own hands. Does anyone know how the 5th round game between Tubber and Geevagh is still not played, that seems very strange indeed.
Juniors after their great victory in the last round got a hiding from Tubber.
I am shocked to see Calry where they are. They lost out on scoring difference to us last year and I was sure they would be close this year but where has it gone wrong. Farnans badly hit by emigration so not too suprised on that one. Johns at last about to go up where they should have been for the last 10 years

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Westie on June 08, 2009, 08:10:56 AM
Seanie  -ye are safe in my opinion anyway.  We are sick. Went a point up on Tourlestrane at homewith 4 mins to go on Sat evening and deserved the victory and they scored 2-1 in that time plus injury time.  Same happened at Tubber in the league earlier this year.  Them 4 points would have us safe now. Still it is in our own hands. Does anyone know how the 5th round game between Tubber and Geevagh is still not played, that seems very strange indeed.
Juniors after their great victory in the last round got a hiding from Tubber.
I am shocked to see Calry where they are. They lost out on scoring difference to us last year and I was sure they would be close this year but where has it gone wrong. Farnans badly hit by emigration so not too suprised on that one. Johns at last about to go up where they should have been for the last 10 years

Was O Hara playing Westie?

Calry beat Shamrock Gaels, which shows progress, i seen them in last championship and they impressed me but it looks like Easky will stay up. Johns in the driving seat and id say set for promotion along with Bunninaden. Farnans are gone. We had too many draws and early season form cost us and having 4 u21s and 4 u18s involved with county meant we were missing those 8 up until recently so happy enough to consolidate to be honest, clearly we have potential to get into div1, and then the added bonus of me coming home in 2yrs we should consolidate div1 aswell :P.

Coolera are safe with the bottom 3 of geevagh, tubber and castleconnor to scrap it out. Its fixed for this week tubber geevagh the 13th at 7.30, yee play coolera away.

Bad defeat in the junior not to score Westie isnt good.

How is Judge playing for the seniors?