St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

Westie

We had a great game with Tubber and I think they will even agree we were unlucky. They equalised in the 60 th min and from the next 3 kickouts scored each time with the goal in the last kick of the game.  We had 5 lads 19 or younger on the team so that is one advantage of lads gone abroad, more fellas getting senior game time, especially if the others come back. It is a massive learning process.
That Johns result stood out for me also, that does happen in Easkey territory too often.

The ladies game - we got a call about that last week to see if we would host it.  We were shocked as you Sligonian, could see Mayo but Wexford, talk about putting in the miles. We were away on Sunday and the minors were off so I would say ours was one of the few pitches that had no game planned for the weekend. Sligo looked good but there was no opposition it has to be said.
Though the weather has not been bad, pitches around the county are really taking a hammering at the moment.  Could be a lot of rutting in them when the drying comes around.

What's up with the sligogaa website only showing the Div 1 table

magpie seanie

Westie - I think you have to go into each division by the "senior competitions" link and all the tables and results by division are there.

On pitches - I was surprised last week at training how soft our pitch was given that the weather hasn't been all that bad. There is a fair bit of rain forecast for this week so the outlook is not great. The early start to the minor competitions is an additional burden at this time of the year. We are down for two home games next weekend and its impossible to see both going ahead on our pitch.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 02, 2009, 10:22:02 AM
In reverse order:

The game is on Ocean FM next week. It is rare I listen to Ocean but had it on in the car and Tommy Clarke told us he is doing live and exclusive commentary from "Roy - slip".

Not going to London myself and haven't heard of anyone going.

John McPartland played for us yesterday and did fine. Still a bit of work to do before he comes into contention with the county but he's training away with them. He'll be there or thereabouts in a few weeks I'd say.

County players were playing the last two weeks.

My heart goes out to you on the weather front! I'm sure its torture!

Thanks, when I get homesick or annoyed that I cant see my beloved Sligo play i stick in the Connacht final DVD, wouldnt of had a hope without McPartland that day so glad hes on the way back.

Its great that at least I can listen online even if its Ocean FM.

Glad that the county fellas are playing with clubs, keeping them fit and sharp.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

xwave7000

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 25, 2009, 12:28:43 PM
Quote from: Westie on February 23, 2009, 12:47:53 PM
Thanks Seanie - didn't want to come on blowing our own trumpet(but here I go). The final was what you would hope for in a final, a brillant match from both teams.  We are very lucky with that group coming through and we had as you know a few classics with yourselvesr 2-3 years back where it took a lot of extra time and replays to get a result(in yer favour).
They are a good bunch who all seem to love the game.  If they keep it up definitely 2 class forwards there for the future and at least 1 defender.
Sligonian will be happy to hear we had 2 players from the Mayo part of the parish who only want to play for us and Sligo, so things are beginning to look up on that front.
Numbers is a problem with our subs all aged 10, but one day out like that every few years is very rewarding.

Senior - the less said the better but the lads who have gone are a massive loss.  The lads replacing them are good but are too young and light at the moment but their time will come.

Division 2 this year is where all the interesting battles will be, you could not pick who would go up or down.

That is great hear Westie, I want all clubs to maximise there potential for the good of SLIGO football, keep it up.

Westie how is Niall Judges recovery from injury going? He needs to be kept a eye on and not lost to GAA as he was massive loss to sligo minors last yr.

On the u21s I knew Henry was stil underage but didnt know why he was unavailable, will he be back does anyone know?, Himself and Gilmartin were perfect foils for each other last yr. Burns from my club will push Hanley for his place though so good competition and cover there.

Paddy greene was outstanding against Galway minors in carrick the yr they went on to win All Ireland. Would be a good addition. Keelan cawley was class that day too. Need Coen fully fit though, extra scoring power, will he be back. Good to see Eoin back to form and Gavin Gilsenan got our Club player of the year, Congrat to him.

I cant argue with that Seanie i dont do quiet, I expect Sligo u21s to win Connacht. Im going to go to alot of trouble to get home for that final if we get to it, not coming home to see us lose. If leitrim beat us in the semi my partially made plans are screwed :-\.

With regards to your query about stephen henry, I think he's back as of now, he played against harps as far as I know - he had been out with an ankle injury he picked up at the start of the year, but it looks like he might be back for the start of the u-21s campaign now.

Great result for Ballymote at the weekend, the football they played (especially in the first half) was of the highest quality. Curry were very ineffective in the forward lines, an early goal by Ballymote greatly set the tone for the rest of the game. In the second half, it looked like Curry were about to mount a comeback, however a penalty settled Ballymote again and the scores were few and far between for either side after that.

stevo-08

I expect Sligo u21s to win Connacht. Im going to go to alot of trouble to get home for that final if we get to it, not coming home to see us lose. If leitrim beat us in the semi my partially made plans are screwed :-\.

I hear our u21s were trounced by Fermanagh at the weekend. Anybody any reports on that game or the team on duty. Strange result considering the quality in the panel. I'd expect us to be very competitive in minor & u21 this year.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on March 04, 2009, 02:28:03 PM

I expect Sligo u21s to win Connacht. Im going to go to alot of trouble to get home for that final if we get to it, not coming home to see us lose. If leitrim beat us in the semi my partially made plans are screwed :-\.

I hear our u21s were trounced by Fermanagh at the weekend. Anybody any reports on that game or the team on duty. Strange result considering the quality in the panel. I'd expect us to be very competitive in minor & u21 this year.

Right this confuses me, we played Donegal twice in the NW cup and beat Fermanagh in Belleek in the same competition. What would be the point of playing Fermanagh again. Going into the Connacht Championship we played 2 teams twice, why not play someone else? Just a suggestion. To be honest I didnt believe it when i heard it. Our u21s shoulnt be getting trounced not with the quality in that squad and the management should be organinzing games against different counties simple as that.

If this squad fall to Leitrim in the semi it will be one of biggest underachivements of an underage Sligo team. Ater all that in fairness to the management im confident they have learned from last yr and that the team will be prepared for battle on March 21st, that is based on the NW cup performances which for me holds more substance than a challenge game, we may have fielded a second string, tryed new tactics at the expense of the result. Who knows.. But like Stevo-08 im optimistic about our chances in Minor and U21 even still.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 05, 2009, 01:08:10 PM
Right this confuses me, we played Donegal twice in the NW cup and beat Fermanagh in Belleek in the same competition. What would be the point of playing Fermanagh again. Going into the Connacht Championship we played 2 teams twice, why not play someone else? Just a suggestion. To be honest I didnt believe it when i heard it. Our u21s shoulnt be getting trounced not with the quality in that squad and the management should be organinzing games against different counties simple as that.

If this squad fall to Leitrim in the semi it will be one of biggest underachivements of an underage Sligo team. Ater all that in fairness to the management im confident they have learned from last yr and that the team will be prepared for battle on March 21st, that is based on the NW cup performances which for me holds more substance than a challenge game, we may have fielded a second string, tryed new tactics at the expense of the result. Who knows.. But like Stevo-08 im optimistic about our chances in Minor and U21 even still.

Yea, I havent seen anything in any paper or website about that fermanagh match. But was told at club training on tuesday night that the u21s got well beaten, cant remember the exact scoreline but I think he said something like 4-10 to 0-5.  :o :o  Very hard to believe, and that's why I asked the question on here, but the guy who told me has a brother on the U21 panel who played in the game.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: stevo-08 on March 05, 2009, 01:44:43 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 05, 2009, 01:08:10 PM

Yea, I havent seen anything in any paper or website about that fermanagh match. But was told at club training on tuesday night that the u21s got well beaten, cant remember the exact scoreline but I think he said something like 4-10 to 0-5.  :o :o  Very hard to believe, and that's why I asked the question on here, but the guy who told me has a brother on the U21 panel who played in the game.

Must be true so, hopefully just a freak result so. When something like that happens especially in a challenge its not always a negative, it gets rid of complacency, overconfidence and makes you work harder which are all things we have to bring to the table against Leitrim. Im not going to overeact to it. Id love to know the team that played though at the same time, anyone know?

Owenmoresider

Weekend results:

Sunday 08th March 2009
U-16 League Division 2
Team 1   Score   Score   Team 2   Venue   Comment   
St Patricks    3-4   1-4   Drumcliffe Rosses Point    St Patricks   Round 1   
St Farnans    4-8   3-7   Owenmore Gaels    St Farnans   Round 1   

U-16 League Division 3
Castleconnor    0-0   0-0   Geevagh    Castleconnor   Round 1   

Kiernan Cup Group A
St Molaise Gaels    2-5   2-9   St Marys    St Molaise Gaels   Round 2   

Benson Cup Group B
Cloonacool    0-6   3-10   St Michaels    Riverstown Park   Round 2    

U-18 League Division 1 Section 1
Eastern Harps    -   -   St Farnans    Eastern Harps - Gurteen   Not Played   

U-18 League Division 1 Section 2
St Marys    3-10   0-1   Ballymote/Bunninadden    St Marys   

Saturday 07th March 2009
Kiernan Cup Group A
Shamrock Gaels    0-11   0-7   St Johns    Shamrock Gaels Park-Coola   Round 2    

Kiernan Cup Group B
Bunninadden    3-11   0-10   Calry/St Josephs    Bunninadden   Round 2    

Benson Cup Group A
Eastern Harps    1-12   0-6   St Molaise Gaels    Eastern Harps - Keash   Round 2    
Enniscrone/Kilglass    2-5   2-7   Coolaney/Mullinabreena    Enniscrone   Round 2    

Benson Cup Group B
St Patricks    2-4   2-9   Drumcliffe Rosses Point    Drumcliffe   Round 2    

Abbott Cup Group B
Tourlestrane    0-7   3-8   Owenmore Gaels    Tourlestrane   Round 2

Good win for us, wasn't a great display but we got better as time went on. Beat Ballisodare and we're in the final. Meeting them in the league next weekend too, a big win for us there and we'll be in decent shape. Most games were off today, all the Pick n' Choose games included.

magpie seanie

Terrible weather and pitches are in bits. Our lads trained on the beach today. Not looking like things are going to improve very much in the nextfew days either. We'll have to hope for a bright moon on Tuesday and Thurday or else we'll have to commandeer one of those big lights that were used in the constrution industry. Surely a few must be ahem, not it use.

SLIGONIAN

We lost at home to Marys as OMS posted. We were 8pts down at one stage and pulled back them back to 4 with Cathal Burns leading the charge. Unfortunetly still missing loads of our best players and playing far too many intermediates really junior players but there giving it there all so i cant be negative.

It was great to see 3 players from the club starting for minors at the weekend.

SLIGONIAN

Lads any of yee at the minor match in tourlestrane, bad result, what happened?

magpie seanie

I heard that despite the result there was actually very little between the teams. Was level at HT I think.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2009, 08:58:24 PM
I heard that despite the result there was actually very little between the teams. Was level at HT I think.

Thanks Seanie, better to hear that, but still FT score is disappointing and a psychological blow considering we are playing Galway in qtrs in 8 weeks time.