St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

shapes

No Seanie not defending FOSF just that particular gentleman as I met him a a few times and he is a nice fella.

Has any one any idea when the Sligo Manager is being announced?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: shapes on October 29, 2008, 08:19:36 AM
No Seanie not defending FOSF just that particular gentleman as I met him a a few times and he is a nice fella.

Has any one any idea when the Sligo Manager is being announced?

Whats there to defend, exactly? Did anyone say he isnt a nice fella ::).

Last week what i said was from a genuine source, but farrel throwing his hat into the ring will delay it further, I think its between mcguinness and farrel now by the looks of things. Has to be announced before Harps game doesnt it. Does anyone know the next CB meeting?

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 28, 2008, 11:07:20 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 27, 2008, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 26, 2008, 11:36:31 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 26, 2008, 10:29:43 PM
Our lads won easy today, we were worried st johns wouldnt turn up  but they did 13 players only and it was 15 a side game. We hit a mountain of wides and played poorly. We now have to beat Curry in curry by 7pts or more to get to final by our managers calculations. The amount of walkovers in Sligo underage football is a worry.
And we are contributing a lot to that now too sadly, the U20's following on from the U16's pulling out earlier this year. and the U13's might as well do so judging by those results. Problems ahead.

The walkovers in the U20 was worse last year IIRC, quite a few teams pulled out. It's a bad time to have it on, a month or two after a lot of clubs have packed up their adult activities. Unfortunately that other game takes root at this time of year for many. Certainly looks to be that way with John's.

OMS whats the main problem that yee cant field at some levels. Is it nrs, lack of volunteers to take over teams, competition with soccer etc... just interested?
The former two mainly, soccer strangely wouldn't affect us that much at underage, as Cloonamahon don't field in the SLDSL youths anymore (and usually when they did it was at U18). We should have better numbers, but having a town in your area can be of no benefit for some clubs. Ballymote and Ballisodare are similiar cases, and so Tubber has been too in the past. Attitude problems, indifference, better things to be doing, etc. By contrast our girls setup is thriving, but they have plenty of involvement and enthusiasm from parents, so that is a factor. We don't have many takers for looking after the boys teams. A shame how it's gone considering what was achieved for a good number of years, culminating in three minors (two B and one C) in five years. And that basically is our senior team now. So unless things change, when the present crew moves on we could have difficulties, maybe even back to where we were a decade or so ago. And Ballymote are probably in a similiar position.

What the solution in your opinion? if money or support of coaching and the cb were not lacking.

Dont take offence to this but rememeber when we hammered ye in cooloney and half yer team were in old trafford, becuase they won a raffle. What exactly happened there? You can PM if you want but always wondered.

SLIGONIAN

Sligo NFL fixtures 2009 all games at 2.30 except antrim away

Sligo v Kilkenny 01/02/09

Clare v Sligo 07/02/09

Sligo v Leitrim 15/02/09

London v Sligo 08/03/09

Sligo v Carlow 22/03/09

Antrim v Sligo 28/03/09 7.30 underlights

Sligo v Waterford 12/04/09

Wicklow v Sligo 18/04/09

Back in the big time with Kilkenny at home, should be a massive crowd for that ::). Anyways lads i wont be at any NFL games this yr as im going to Dubai to work for a few yrs. So hope ye can keep me updated as best ye can on here, besides that I'll be relying on my Dad for how things are going. Dont worry though will be back for championship games if only for a weekend visit.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 29, 2008, 02:07:08 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 28, 2008, 11:07:20 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 27, 2008, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 26, 2008, 11:36:31 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 26, 2008, 10:29:43 PM
Our lads won easy today, we were worried st johns wouldnt turn up  but they did 13 players only and it was 15 a side game. We hit a mountain of wides and played poorly. We now have to beat Curry in curry by 7pts or more to get to final by our managers calculations. The amount of walkovers in Sligo underage football is a worry.
And we are contributing a lot to that now too sadly, the U20's following on from the U16's pulling out earlier this year. and the U13's might as well do so judging by those results. Problems ahead.

The walkovers in the U20 was worse last year IIRC, quite a few teams pulled out. It's a bad time to have it on, a month or two after a lot of clubs have packed up their adult activities. Unfortunately that other game takes root at this time of year for many. Certainly looks to be that way with John's.

OMS whats the main problem that yee cant field at some levels. Is it nrs, lack of volunteers to take over teams, competition with soccer etc... just interested?
The former two mainly, soccer strangely wouldn't affect us that much at underage, as Cloonamahon don't field in the SLDSL youths anymore (and usually when they did it was at U18). We should have better numbers, but having a town in your area can be of no benefit for some clubs. Ballymote and Ballisodare are similiar cases, and so Tubber has been too in the past. Attitude problems, indifference, better things to be doing, etc. By contrast our girls setup is thriving, but they have plenty of involvement and enthusiasm from parents, so that is a factor. We don't have many takers for looking after the boys teams. A shame how it's gone considering what was achieved for a good number of years, culminating in three minors (two B and one C) in five years. And that basically is our senior team now. So unless things change, when the present crew moves on we could have difficulties, maybe even back to where we were a decade or so ago. And Ballymote are probably in a similiar position.

What the solution in your opinion? if money or support of coaching and the cb were not lacking.

Dont take offence to this but rememeber when we hammered ye in cooloney and half yer team were in old trafford, becuase they won a raffle. What exactly happened there? You can PM if you want but always wondered.
Not much. A few of the lads won tickets, they went to game. Nothing else to it. It wasn't as if we didn't get trimmings in any other game, cos we got a few this year. And it got worse as it went on.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 30, 2008, 02:01:42 PM
Sligo NFL fixtures 2009 all games at 2.30 except antrim away

Sligo v Kilkenny 01/02/09

Clare v Sligo 07/02/09

Sligo v Leitrim 15/02/09

London v Sligo 08/03/09

Sligo v Carlow 22/03/09

Antrim v Sligo 28/03/09 7.30 underlights

Sligo v Waterford 12/04/09

Wicklow v Sligo 18/04/09

Back in the big time with Kilkenny at home, should be a massive crowd for that ::). Anyways lads i wont be at any NFL games this yr as im going to Dubai to work for a few yrs. So hope ye can keep me updated as best ye can on here, besides that I'll be relying on my Dad for how things are going. Dont worry though will be back for championship games if only for a weekend visit.
So that's trips to Ennis, Belfast and Aughrim (discounting London) then. Conclusion - trade in that Astra of yers.

Leitrim, Antrim and Wicklow the tricky ones, and two of them away. Should win the others all going well. Should we beat Leitrim then it's set up for the latter two to decide our fate IMHO. Wouldn't do us good to get stuck in this division again, God knows we were long enough trying to get out of it.

shapes

U 20 final this Saturday in Tubbercurry at 2pm Tourlestrane V Curry. Should be a good game.On paper Tourlestrane look good but with all the previous minor experience Curry will be hard beaten.

magpie seanie

Yeah. Curry are very young though and Tourlestrane have a lot of good lads at the full age or close to it. The two Gaughan's and Henry have serious power at that level. Their full back line is poor but I still take them to win fairly comfortably.

baoithe

Lads,

Am I hearing right re the new manager?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: baoithe on November 04, 2008, 03:11:59 PM
Lads,

Am I hearing right re the new manager?

Please tell me its not kevin Walshe ffs? He has done nothing worth saying...... If Murphy does try to get walshe, there will be outrage in the county IMO.

baoithe

Yep,

Its supposed to be Walshe with Sloyane, Durkan and Taylor as Selectors. As far as I can see Kevin Walshe hasnt done anything of note on the managerial front besides coming close to managing Galway's minors. I heard that second hand so cannot verify the veracity of it - maybe the Galway lads might fill us in.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: baoithe on November 04, 2008, 05:23:23 PM
Yep,

Its supposed to be Walshe with Sloyane, Durkan and Taylor as Selectors. As far as I can see Kevin Walshe hasnt done anything of note on the managerial front besides coming close to managing Galway's minors. I heard that second hand so cannot verify the veracity of it - maybe the Galway lads might fill us in.

Any man involved in club or has any knowledge of GAA in Sligo knows that a man turned down for Galway Minors should be accepted by us for our senior job is monumental insult to SLIGO FOOTBALL and its people. Why the f*ck are we that f*cking stupid? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

When the obvious question in the interview process came up saying "what have you previously done?" and walshe said the little that he has done at management level, how can we even consider hiring him. Its a stupid risk, not even a calculated one.

This is not acceptable, fair enough the Selectors are popular sligo figures but walshe has done nothing of any note even at club level from what i hear and he'll be manager calling the shots. Im seriously pissed off if this is true.

magpie seanie

For what its worth I heard he is really good. I don't envy him his job but wish him and his selectors every success.

shapes

He could be as good as anyone else, we were never going to get the cream of the crop after the efforts last year. I think that Taylor and Sloyane  being that bit younger will be better than last years selectors. The big question for me is will walshe be influenced by the older members of the team or will he go ahead with the hard decisions and pick his own 15.

baoithe

But what has he done Seanie? I'm not being fecetious, I'd genuinely like to know. I dont think any of us dont wish him and the selectors well. At the very least we can all rest assured that there will be no ulterior motives for picking teams now. I would be slightly worried that its come a bit too soon for Taylor and Sloyane in that its only relatively recently that they've quite the panel and still have connections there. I hope I'm wrong though.
I wonder what input O'Hara will have?

Shapes, yes he could be as good as anyone else but we dont know that and there is nothing to suggest, other than his playing career, that he will be any good. If its to be believed that McGuinness was in the frame for it then he has a proven (albeit within Donegal) track record and further the conventional wisdom states that he is a pretty good coach.
I dont know if Dudley Farrell was interviewed. If he wasn't then he should have been, no matter how late in the day he expressed interest.

It was even suggested to me last night that it was the choice of selectors and the potential cost of the Walshe ticket that won the day. I've no sound reason to believe this but what I do know is that the optimum outcome from this appointment is that we get out of Division 4 and give a respectable showing in Connacht next year. The worst possible outcome is that we are rendered Division 4 regulars and get annihilated in the championship next summer. Should the latter prevail John Murphy et al will have wiped out any progress Sligo football has made over the last 12-15 years and that, in my opinion, is a far greater cost than any short term monetary gain.

I'm sure I dont need to reiterate that I genuinely hope that this works out well.