Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

That was a decent performance from Down in hugely pressurised circumstances so full credit to the squad and management. We managed to give away two poor goals, but Laois effectively handed two back to us, and Down were good value for the win in the end. We still could have lost, if it had not been for three brilliant saves from Burns, while Kerr was outstanding and Barry O'Hagan was excellent from both frees and open play. Our second goal was pretty bizarre, with Mooney making a mess of an attempt to fist a point and the Laois keeper somehow fumbling the ball into the net. We have nothing to lose against Donegal, who are likely to be at a different level, but today was a day when the only thing that mattered was the result.

supersub

Quote from: Lotto on June 10, 2021, 09:19:11 PM
Just wondering why our Down social media channels of twitter and facebook are solely County based? We must have the worst PRO's in Ireland over the last few years who cannot retweet or post any club activity, every other county can do this apart from us apparently.

Almost every single club championship game Junior to Senior is covered at adult level and has been the last few years. Your comments are wide of the mark. Last year during the league there was actually a live score show on social media covering the club matches that no one could attend. The coverage of club football has increased dramatically over the last number of years not to mention the live streaming.

SHEEDY

Watched match on GAAGO thought it was a more than decent performance. Liam kerr and Barry OHagan always carried a threat up front, Cory Quinn was decent in flashes as well. Rory Burns was probably motm with a couple of brilliant saves. If only we could unearth a real top quality midfielder from somewhere. Division 2 status secured which was vital for the development of this team, lots of new players being introduced.
nil satis nisi optimum

redandblackareback

Quote from: supersub on June 13, 2021, 12:27:34 AM
Just wondering why our Down social media channels of twitter and facebook are solely County based? We must have the worst PRO's in Ireland over the last few years who cannot retweet or post any club activity, every other county can do this apart from us apparently.

Almost every single club championship game Junior to Senior is covered at adult level and has been the last few years. Your comments are wide of the mark. Last year during the league there was actually a live score show on social media covering the club matches that no one could attend. The coverage of club football has increased dramatically over the last number of years not to mention the live streaming.

Don't mind him supersub, he's a moron, total wum who doesn't contribute anything positive at all. Yesterday was a much improved performance and a big result! I think we have a chance v Donegal especially in Newry with our own supporters giving the team a lift. Look at Cavan, Ulster champions but now in division 4, it was important we didn't drop to 3.

Lotto

Quote from: redandblackareback on June 13, 2021, 12:02:37 PM

Don't mind him supersub, he's a moron, total wum who doesn't contribute anything positive at all. Yesterday was a much improved performance and a big result! I think we have a chance v Donegal especially in Newry with our own supporters giving the team a lift. Look at Cavan, Ulster champions but now in division 4, it was important we didn't drop to 3.

Thank you for confirming my point supersub, nothing at all this year on the club front on our social media just county yet you tell me how wonderful things were last year!

As for a win yesterday being a positive, I have to disagree. It is just papering over the cracks but it wont be Tally's problem for much longer which really is a positive. Dropping to Division 3 would have given us a great opportunity to build again with a new manager, now we are in a position where we could get relegated next year and end up in the Tailteann Cup.

Johnnysboys

A very positive performance yesterday I thought with some outstanding individual performances.. Liam Kerr, Darren and Barry OHagan, Mooney and Quinn in flashes added to by Burns, Patrick murdock and Daniel Guinness. It was vital we stayed in division two for the development of this group long term and hopefully with another few additions next season we can finish more comfortable in the division.
Mayo, Kildare gone up and Laois, Westmeath gone down and with Derry/Offaly promoted and Roscommon (so far) relegated it makes for an interesting division next season..
Championship I just don't see us at the races to be honest. Murphy, McFadden, McHugh, Langan, Gallagher, etc etc pose a serious physical and football threat.. but here's hoping...

supersub

Quote from: Lotto on June 13, 2021, 04:27:49 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on June 13, 2021, 12:02:37 PM

Thank you for confirming my point supersub, nothing at all this year on the club front on our social media just county yet you tell me how wonderful things were last year!

As for a win yesterday being a positive, I have to disagree. It is just papering over the cracks but it wont be Tally's problem for much longer which really is a positive. Dropping to Division 3 would have given us a great opportunity to build again with a new manager, now we are in a position where we could get relegated next year and end up in the Tailteann Cup.

Where did it say anything in your post about this year? It was a general, ignorant sweeping statement about County social media. In fact the only reference to a timescale was 'the last few years' which is what I was referring to. I dare say when the leagues are up and running and certainly in championship season you'll get all the coverage you want on club games. However I suspect then there'll be something else to yap about. I'd also say it wouldn't be too hard to find an email address or indeed a phone number for the county PRO, Secretary or Chairman if you want to volunteer your own services to bridge the gap you see at the present minute. Have a fabulous evening.

Smurfy123

It really doesn't sit well with me when we as a county after spending thousands and thousands of pounds on a management team that was supposed to take us to the next level our county and supporters are celebrating a relegation win as if it's a winning formula
As it turned out Meath actually were not much good after all. And Westmeath took a tanking
Now I'm not suggesting that the players won't be relieved but we were told this manager would take us to the next level.
The celebrating posts on social media are worrying
Not to long ago we were in division 1 and comfortable in it for a while
All that is wrong with this county
Imagine the greats of the 90s celebrating that

snoopdog

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 14, 2021, 09:02:39 AM
It really doesn't sit well with me when we as a county after spending thousands and thousands of pounds on a management team that was supposed to take us to the next level our county and supporters are celebrating a relegation win as if it's a winning formula
As it turned out Meath actually were not much good after all. And Westmeath took a tanking
Now I'm not suggesting that the players won't be relieved but we were told this manager would take us to the next level.
The celebrating posts on social media are worrying
Not to long ago we were in division 1 and comfortable in it for a while
All that is wrong with this county
Imagine the greats of the 90s celebrating that
I'm curious as to who you would suggest we get in as a manager if Tally goes. There was a committee set up to get a manager last time. Danny Hughes et al . I'm not saying Tally will improve these guys. They dont look to have a kickout strategy for one but are we not at our level? Middle of the road.

Smurfy123

That is the thing. We have not improved one bit in 3 years.
Anyone who says that this team has improved in 3 years are not telling the truth
The kickout strategy is one
Forward play looks like it's off the cuff and no pattern to it from one game to the next
My gripe with it is the colossal amount of money being spent on a sub standard mananemgt team when we could get one within Down a margin of the cost

Mulholland
McAleenan
Poacher
Lynch
Deegan
McCartan

All above are young and have been about but it will be a no because they never managed at this level
Time for us to drop that also
We have had all that before and failed

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 14, 2021, 09:52:55 AM
Anyone who says that this team has improved in 3 years are not telling the truth
Forward play looks like it's off the cuff and no pattern to it from one game to the next
My gripe with it is the colossal amount of money being spent on a sub standard mananemgt team when we could get one within Down a margin of the cost

Mulholland
McAleenan
Poacher
Lynch
Deegan
McCartan

All above are young and have been about but it will be a no because they never managed at this level

A margin of the cost?? Are you serious??? Two of these mentioned above have been with my club - one currently there - and another offered his services when we had our last manager.. none of these people are cheap I can promise you that.. Apart from McCartan - who else in ur list has a right to be touted as an intercounty manager??? If Tally does step down or is pushed - we need an outsider as there is simply no one within our county capable (maybe wee James at a push) of taking us to the "next level"

Mourne Rover

Smurfy's bitter disappointment that Down were not relegated to D3 must have affected this memory when he said we were comfortable when we were in D1 `not too long ago.'
We have only been in D1 for one season out of the last eight, back in 2016, when we managed to lose all seven of our games.
Tally inherited a squad which had just been relegated to D3, and has since managed to get us back to D2 and then consolidate our position there for another year.
The season before he came in, we were demolished by Donegal in the USC, even though we had an extra man for practically the entire match.
Our USC record since then is that we lost to Armagh by a point after extra time in 2019, and then beat Fermanagh before losing to Cavan by a point last year.
We have a long way to go, and there have been plenty of setbacks along the way, but the suggestion that `we have not improved one bit' since the 2018 collapse against Donegal is ludicrous.
The reality is that division two is our optimum level at the moment. We have a decent group of committed young players who are capable of further progress next year, but we are not close to being among the top ten sides in the country, regardless of who is in charge, and criticising the team for failing to get to the top division makes no sense.

snoopdog

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 14, 2021, 09:52:55 AM

Mulholland
McAleenan
Poacher
Lynch
Deegan
McCartan

Deegan didnt do much with the u21s/u20s. Our Minors last year were supposed favourites for the all ireland , under poacher and wee james they looked like 15 lads that never played together.

Lotto

Conor Deegan has always believed he will be the next Down manager, even before Tally was appointed never mind for next year. Seriously, what planet does this man live on? His years with the 21's were shocking, like Tally with no progress at all never mind that he couldn't get on with Walsh his No.2 as they hardly spoke. We will be replacing incompetence with even more incompetence putting him in.

I would go back to wee James, any other Down names are laughable. Minors are totally different than grown men.

Johnnysboys

Any word when league fixtures are being released or when the club championship draw is being done???