Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

You're fairly banging the player welfare drum there.

Ambrose has spent that long out with that many different injuries that I suspect if you wrapped him up in cotton wool, he'd get a reaction to the material.

More to the point. If an underage competition is going to have a significant impact on availability for an adult competition, then the underage tournament is the problem, and it should be removed.

ardtole

No i dont think it would be unfair to play on a friday and then on a sunday.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on June 28, 2021, 01:41:00 PM
You're fairly banging the player welfare drum there.

Ambrose has spent that long out with that many different injuries that I suspect if you wrapped him up in cotton wool, he'd get a reaction to the material.

More to the point. If an underage competition is going to have a significant impact on availability for an adult competition, then the underage tournament is the problem, and it should be removed.

It's not about player welfare, I am trying to think of what could potentially happen down the road. Down could get beaten next Friday and there would be no issues.
But put it this way Down is in an Ulster final on the Sunday V Tyrone. Ballyholland plays Burren in the league on Friday night. Would county management want Danny Magill v John McGovern on Friday night and play for Down on a Sunday?

thewobbler

Honestly, when an u20 cup is stuck in the middle of peak club season, then any manager who expects full reign over his players has lost the plot.

elk

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 28, 2021, 12:19:39 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 28, 2021, 11:50:41 AM
So now you want the club's leagues stopped to facilitate the under 20s?
Club players are bound to be pretty pissed off at this stage
When do the leagues start?
Why not start them this week?
What's the hold up now

When did I once say that I wanted the leagues stopped. I am just stating that it would not be fair on clubs playing in leagues without their u20 players providing they go on a run. Has anyone a breakdown of the squad and their clubs?
The leagues cannot be started this week as warm-up competitions need to be finished, I can not wait to see the final stages of the Corn an Duin plate. Kilcoo look to be in good nick but Burren and Warrenpoint under new management seems to be motoring a long rightly
Provided Kilcoo win their section, Kilcoo v Burren should be a good match to watch. Fancy the Island to beat CPN.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on June 28, 2021, 02:53:55 PM
Honestly, when an u20 cup is stuck in the middle of peak club season, then any manager who expects full reign over his players has lost the plot.

u20s have yet to play a game for their clubs this season. The leagues will be exciting as well but I expect a few fireworks in the forthcoming weeks ahead. If u20 players are starred then it would be unfair to play the 2up2down after one round of fixtures. Though Conor is a club player so he should understand that clubs will need their full set of players as it will be close to the championship as well.

thebar

Quote from: Truth hurts on June 28, 2021, 03:39:41 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 28, 2021, 02:53:55 PM

u20s have yet to play a game for their clubs this season. The leagues will be exciting as well but I expect a few fireworks in the forthcoming weeks ahead. If u20 players are starred then it would be unfair to play the 2up2down after one round of fixtures. Though Conor is a club player so he should understand that clubs will need their full set of players as it will be close to the championship as well.

Alot of talk about nothing let the U20's go win the match first if they are good enough.

John Egans left boot

From a distance tally never suitedDown he has to go.Maybe Moran and Gilligan?? But listen simple when u know players from afar Danny savage genius with his feet gets 10 minutes and Kevin mc kernan comes on with 13 to go and is finished!! Management

Truth hurts

There are certainly no massives names available if Tally does step away. The Moran/Gilligan setup would be a good fit and they would get the buy-in from all the Kilcoo players as some fell out/threw the dummy out with Paddy. Apart from the Johnstones, Ward and Darryl Brannigan is there anyone who was not in Newry on Sunday? We are currently a bit off division one but if the group of players can stick together with a sprinkling of youth then we should start to make progress in the next few years.

Smurfy123

So there we have it
No club league until the Down under 20s exit the championship
Leagues in Down potentially not starting until August 18th
What a mess the fixtures department have made of this

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 30, 2021, 12:11:04 AM
So there we have it
No club league until the Down under 20s exit the championship
Leagues in Down potentially not starting until August 18th
What a mess the fixtures department have made of this

Smurfy are you serious about this??Games postponed because of a Mickey Mouse cup. No wonder we are where we are.

Smurfy123

Yes leagues to be put on hold until under 20s are out
Potentially 18th August if what many predict that they could go all the way
It's not often I would criticise the Down fixtures committee as they do a great job but they have clearly made a big mistake not playing an 18 game home and away league.
Lookin now 4 games would have been starred thats not much considering other years County players could miss up to 7/8 matches
All other leagues in ulster are underway
Who would have thought that when things returned at the start of April that club players wouldn't kick a league ball until August
No wonder the standard on Down is so poor

Truth hurts

That's disappointing, I am sure some sort of agreement could be sorted. Club players are finding it hard to get a focus and I can understand why. There is no plan in place. Will the leagues be still promotion and relegation, Smurfy? That will be hard to push in with the championship on the horizon which is the golden goose.

manwithnoplan

There had been a date of 23rd July initially given for the start of club leagues. Does this later date apply to all 4 divisions? And has it been confirmed?

snoopdog

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 30, 2021, 12:29:59 PM
Yes leagues to be put on hold until under 20s are out
Potentially 18th August if what many predict that they could go all the way
It's not often I would criticise the Down fixtures committee as they do a great job but they have clearly made a big mistake not playing an 18 game home and away league.
Lookin now 4 games would have been starred thats not much considering other years County players could miss up to 7/8 matches
All other leagues in ulster are underway
Who would have thought that when things returned at the start of April that club players wouldn't kick a league ball until August
No wonder the standard on Down is so poor
When we got to an all ireland semi in 2010 some bright spark thought it a good idea to get a round of championship in b4 SF, cost us Ambrose. Now they hold up games for U20s.