Ulster JFC/IFC 2022

Started by DownFanatic, October 03, 2022, 11:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Galbally are fairly good side, certainly senior standard from what I saw of them. How'd they manage to slip into intermediate to begin with?

skeog

Paddy Crozier giving Rory Gallagher a dig imo praising his defence tactics and then follows by Galbally better by a country mile.Apparently RG wasnt the only celebrity that travelled to avail of Bantys hospitality euromillions.

clarshack

Quote from: general_lee on December 23, 2022, 08:31:10 AM
Galbally are fairly good side, certainly senior standard from what I saw of them. How'd they manage to slip into intermediate to begin with?

Covid. No relegation in 2020 then 4 teams relegated in 2021.
Same reason Stewartstown ended up in Junior.

smort

Although I wouldn't say it was a major surprise that either of them were relegated. Would have both as too good for their current division but not good enough to push on in the division above

No disrespect meant to either team. Just trying to say that they are both fair representations of their grading. They are strong teams alright, but I don't want people thinking Tyrone are pulling a Kerry

Milltown Row2

Quote from: smort on December 23, 2022, 10:21:36 AM
Although I wouldn't say it was a major surprise that either of them were relegated. Would have both as too good for their current division but not good enough to push on in the division above

No disrespect meant to either team. Just trying to say that they are both fair representations of their grading. They are strong teams alright, but I don't want people thinking Tyrone are pulling a Kerry

Traditionally Tyrone teams have done well at this level, double the amount of the other counties, is it a competitive competition in Tyrone? Or do you generally know one team is too strong and should win?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Redhand Santa

Galbally wouldn't have been clear favourites at intermediate. Edendork were probably favourites with Galbally pomeroy and Eglish all being leading contenders. Galbally where very lucky to make the final after struggling past kileeshil after extra time in semi final.

smort

I'd say Tyrone is probably the most competitive county top to bottom, which leaves junior and intermediate very strong, but I would also say the top senior teams aren't as strong as the top clubs in other counties, which is demonstrated in the Ulster club results across all grades

Milltown Row2

Quote from: smort on December 23, 2022, 12:11:06 PM
I'd say Tyrone is probably the most competitive county top to bottom, which leaves junior and intermediate very strong, but I would also say the top senior teams aren't as strong as the top clubs in other counties, which is demonstrated in the Ulster club results across all grades

Which is why I posted, if intermediate is as competitive then the train of thought by some Tyrone posters, that because senior is so competitive they are spent by the time the Ulster club comes along!

Watched a good few club games with Tyrone clubs over the years at all levels and it's very good, they just for whatever reason are poor at senior
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 23, 2022, 02:17:29 PM

Which is why I posted, if intermediate is as competitive then the train of thought by some Tyrone posters, that because senior is so competitive they are spent by the time the Ulster club comes along!

Watched a good few club games with Tyrone clubs over the years at all levels and it's very good, they just for whatever reason are poor at senior

Its because Intermediate and Junior will generally have 9 'new teams' every year.
Senior will have 4/5 teams who've featured multiple times in the last decade bar Tyrone who provide a new team every year.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 23, 2022, 06:11:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 23, 2022, 02:17:29 PM

Its because Intermediate and Junior will generally have 9 'new teams' every year.
Senior will have 4/5 teams who've featured multiple times in the last decade bar Tyrone who provide a new team every year.

I don't know, and while that's showing competition between teams and undoubtedly helps the county squad, the level is poor once it gets to the actual business end of Ulster club...

A player must be looking to play at Croke with his club, that's the end game! So having successful intermediate teams I don't see (personally) why a Tyrone senior team can't kick on.

It's either it's a very poor competitive county championship or the clubs/players ain't bothered and only concerned about winning their county title!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 23, 2022, 07:12:23 PM
If you were to apply that logic to inter county football, we would be saying that the Ulster championship is a much poorer standard than both Leinster & Munster seeing that Dublin & Kerry usually beat the Ulster champions.

I can't agree with that.

While Leinster and Munster inter county are a one horse race these last number of years, traditionally Kerry and Dublin just produced better footballers, especially Dublin lately.

Tyrone club footballers are exceptional players too in those clubs that have won the Tyrone championship, so logic would suggest they should have the tools to take on the other Ulster clubs.

smort

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 23, 2022, 06:30:52 PM
I don't know, and while that's showing competition between teams and undoubtedly helps the county squad, the level is poor once it gets to the actual business end of Ulster club...

A player must be looking to play at Croke with his club, that's the end game! So having successful intermediate teams I don't see (personally) why a Tyrone senior team can't kick on.

It's either it's a very poor competitive county championship or the clubs/players ain't bothered and only concerned about winning their county title!

Don't be playing silly games now MR2, just because the Tyrone senior champion has an often poor record in Ulster doesn't mean you have to jump straight to saying it's a very poor championship. It is of a high standard, its just that the winner isn't as strong as most of the winners of other counties

Milltown Row2

Quote from: smort on December 23, 2022, 07:42:48 PM

Don't be playing silly games now MR2, just because the Tyrone senior champion has an often poor record in Ulster doesn't mean you have to jump straight to saying it's a very poor championship. It is of a high standard, its just that the winner isn't as strong as most of the winners of other counties

I'm farting about a bit, I'm just saying that they mustn't look beyond Tyrone as it's undoubtedly a tough championship, with top players, but its a head scratcher don't you think?

ClubScene13

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 23, 2022, 07:53:51 PM
Quote from: smort on December 23, 2022, 07:42:48 PM

I'm farting about a bit, I'm just saying that they mustn't look beyond Tyrone as it's undoubtedly a tough championship, with top players, but its a head scratcher don't you think?

Ulster on nobody's radar until the O'Neill Cup is in the clubhouse and the weeks drinking is done. The greater number of clubs would add to the spread of talent around the county, the parishes of Clonoe and Coalisland have 7 clubs, with 3 of them senior in 2022, I don't know would you get that too often elsewhere. Undoubtedly this leaves the Tyrone intermediate and junior champions in a great position, as they tend to be relatively big clubs in their own right most years. Clearly it detracts from the very top end in comparison to the rest of Ulster, as is blatantly clear in the Ulster club roll of honour.