Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
60 (37.3%)
Failure
67 (41.6%)
Too early to say
34 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 161

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: 5times5times on June 23, 2023, 12:22:52 PM
Armagh games attendances in Ulster...

10k v Antrim
12k v Cavan
22.5k v Down
30k v Derry

That's close to 75000 in 4 games.... Dwindling, yeah right.

Legends. I really hope they are presented with an award for their outstanding commitment at the end of the season.

AustinPowers

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on June 23, 2023, 04:25:01 PM

10k v Antrim
12k v Cavan
22.5k v Down
30k v Derry

Legends. I really hope they are presented with an award for their outstanding commitment at the end of the season.

Did an  Armagh woman screw you  over or something ?  ;)

Rossfan

Quote from: thewobbler on June 23, 2023, 04:15:38 PM

The reason why, in any given season, a team is in the Tailteann Cup is because they're below the standard of the AI, and as far away as a lighthouse from the AI contenders.

👍

The participating players and managements seem to be fairly satisfied with the TC .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

10k v Antrim
12k v Cavan
22.5k v Down
30k v Derry

That's not the way it works you absolute dose  ;D ;D ;D
You did not have 75000 in 4 games, you had 75000 across 4 games, between both sets of fans.

Wildweasel74

There wasn't 20k Armagh ones at Clones, Derry took all their available tickets.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: thewobbler on June 23, 2023, 04:15:38 PM
This shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp but I'll explain it anyway.

The reason why, in any given season, a team is in the Tailteann Cup is because they're below the standard of the AI, and as far away as a lighthouse from the AI contenders.

Parachuting Tailteann winners back into the AI in the same season wouldn't be a reward. It would be punishment.

Gonna go out on a limb here and hazard a guess that Louther was being sarcastic.

onefineday

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 23, 2023, 12:06:58 PM
Quote from: onefineday on June 23, 2023, 12:30:34 AM
Quote from: restorepride on June 18, 2023, 08:40:03 PM
75% of the Provincial Championships got it right.   Not a bad starting point.  These Provincial things could catch on?!!

they're over, they're the obvious white elephant in the new system.  Expect to see crowds dwindle in Ulster and Connacht over the next few years as people figure out that they're relatively meaningless.
You weren't in Clones for the Ulster final or you wouldn't be coming out with shite like that.
I wasn't, had an underage game to coach at and didn't bother getting cover as i didn't see the result having a massive difference in overall outcome for either team. I was at half of Derry's league games this year and I was at last year's ulster final and whilst it was pretty much my highlight of the year, I was happy enough to leave it this time around. Obviously I was engrossed and eating the nails off myself the longer it went on, but that doesn't change the fact that as people realise the reward is relatively small, the prestige of holding aloft the anglo celt will drop and crowds will accordingly follow.
It's a shame, as a kid I was brought up going to almost every ulster championship match every weekend, but things have moved on and there's no way I can see where provincial championships can have a greater incentive that won't undermine the new structure entirely.
Mcguigan's proposals around giving champions a spot in the quarters defeats the purpose of the new structure which is to remove the unfair advantage certain counties have had for a century by virtue of their geographical location. Like it or not, it's hard to see the provincials remaining relevant and you'd imagine they'll replace the McKenna cup in time.

rrhf

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on June 23, 2023, 04:25:01 PM

10k v Antrim
12k v Cavan
22.5k v Down
30k v Derry

With the momentum they are gathering the fans will soon be filling croke park on their own.  Dublin or Mayo would be the only counties with close to 75k fans...

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/26/denis-walsh-everyone-left-in-the-hurling-championship-is-racing-against-time/

Once upon a time it felt like the championship took a month of Sundays, and at that rate there was waste in the system that the GAA was slow to accept or address. There was no future in that. But now? It feels like the season has been fired from a canon.

Rossfan

Circa 57k attendances at the 4 Pre QF games.
Will the QFs exceed 100k next weekend?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

In the hurling 3 of the 4 teams left are beset with injuries. The Munster hurling championship is run off very quickly and there is no time to recover. I imagine this will be looked at over the winter.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2023, 12:24:39 PM
Circa 57k attendances at the 4 Pre QF games.
Will the QFs exceed 100k next weekend?

Yeah they should easily enough. I'd imagine Sunday will get over 70,000 (may even close to sell out). Saturday could well hit 50,000 plus.

seafoid

Captain Scarlet

You can see the points there but 3 games in a month is not uncommon in any sport.
Plus they would be getting slogged in training and playing midweek challenge games any other year too.

Like there are lads who will say GAA players are fitter and better prepped that League of Ireland. They don't complain about games every week, plus the odd vup mstch.

It boils down to how they prepare too. These 'highly rated S&C coaches' obviously haven't moved on.

It will be pushed back a bit and tweaked. Like some counties won't start club championship for ages.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 30, 2023, 06:47:53 AM
You can see the points there but 3 games in a month is not uncommon in any sport.
Plus they would be getting slogged in training and playing midweek challenge games any other year too.

Like there are lads who will say GAA players are fitter and better prepped that League of Ireland. They don't complain about games every week, plus the odd vup mstch.

It boils down to how they prepare too. These 'highly rated S&C coaches' obviously haven't moved on.

It will be pushed back a bit and tweaked. Like some counties won't start club championship for ages.
LoI is professional. They have large squads- Shamrock Rovers have a squad of 33 players.  If Shamrock Rovers have an injury crisis they can use the squad or buy in players for next season.
If they are successful they earn money to buy players. If GAA was like LoI Shamrock Rovers could buy Clifford.

GAA is a totally different model.