Kerry v Mayo, League Final 2022, Croke Park 3rd April 4pm

Started by highorlow, March 31, 2022, 09:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

There might be one and I don't even think there will be this year.

JoG2

Quote from: blanketattack on April 04, 2022, 09:32:03 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 04, 2022, 02:52:25 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 04, 2022, 02:18:10 PM
Quote from: shawshank on April 04, 2022, 10:08:31 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 04, 2022, 09:49:39 AM
As with all great players the only way to stop him is to limit him from getting his hands on the ball. To that extent Horan is most culpable, he hung O'Hora out to dry yesterday leaving him exposed in acres of space one on one. Clifford must have thought it was his birthday and I doubt if he will be given as much space in any game this season.

Kerry simply have the best players in the country now especially up front so taking them on man v man is a fools errand. However they have probably been the best team for 2 years now but haven't got the job done come championship so Jack O'Connor will have learned little yesterday that he didn't know already. 

i really do disagree with that statement. It suggests Tyrone were not the best team last season, when in fact they were, the season before it was Dublin. The best team literally 10 times out of 10 wins the championship. Kerry have won the league recently and fell when the real intensity of championship heat is on. Thats the test they have to over come and until then, they are not the best.

That's all a matter of opinion but the best team does not always win a knockout competition. Kerry beat most teams out the gate for the last 2 seasons but Cork in 2020 and to a lesser extent Tyrone last year caught them on the hop. I'd still say Kerry were the best team in Ireland certainly in 2021 but the reality is that they didn't get the job done.

Until they do that in a big game then there will always be question marks about their mental toughness. I would have held out Mayo as their main challenger but seeing how they folded like a deck of cards yesterday it could be one of those soft All Irelands that Kerry pick up every so often this year without being really tested.
Yesterday was only the league, wouldn't read whole pile into it. There's 4 or 5 teams in Ulster that will give Kerry a good test, Dublin will as well should they meet. Mayo won't be beaten like that again this year especially if they can get lads back, but still think with Conroy gone and the limitations of the management team they won't win an AI.

5?
Which of Fermanagh, Antrim, Cavan, Derry or Down is the 5th?

Derry of course

Gael80

Kerry's forward play was excellent but it's the improvement in defence, that makes them look almost certs for the All Ireland.

Armagh18

Quote from: blanketattack on April 04, 2022, 09:32:03 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 04, 2022, 02:52:25 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 04, 2022, 02:18:10 PM
As with all great players the only way to stop him is to limit him from getting his hands on the ball. To that extent Horan is most culpable, he hung O'Hora out to dry yesterday leaving him exposed in acres of space one on one. Clifford must have thought it was his birthday and I doubt if he will be given as much space in any game this season.

Kerry simply have the best players in the country now especially up front so taking them on man v man is a fools errand. However they have probably been the best team for 2 years now but haven't got the job done come championship so Jack O'Connor will have learned little yesterday that he didn't know already. 

i really do disagree with that statement. It suggests Tyrone were not the best team last season, when in fact they were, the season before it was Dublin. The best team literally 10 times out of 10 wins the championship. Kerry have won the league recently and fell when the real intensity of championship heat is on. Thats the test they have to over come and until then, they are not the best.

That's all a matter of opinion but the best team does not always win a knockout competition. Kerry beat most teams out the gate for the last 2 seasons but Cork in 2020 and to a lesser extent Tyrone last year caught them on the hop. I'd still say Kerry were the best team in Ireland certainly in 2021 but the reality is that they didn't get the job done.

Until they do that in a big game then there will always be question marks about their mental toughness. I would have held out Mayo as their main challenger but seeing how they folded like a deck of cards yesterday it could be one of those soft All Irelands that Kerry pick up every so often this year without being really tested.
Yesterday was only the league, wouldn't read whole pile into it. There's 4 or 5 teams in Ulster that will give Kerry a good test, Dublin will as well should they meet. Mayo won't be beaten like that again this year especially if they can get lads back, but still think with Conroy gone and the limitations of the management team they won't win an AI.

5?
Which of Fermanagh, Antrim, Cavan, Derry or Down is the 5th?
Ok maybe a bit of stretch to include Derry, year or two too early for them.

shawshank

Quote from: Hound on April 04, 2022, 05:50:36 PM
The best team literally 10 times out of 10 wins the championship.

That's a silly comment. If the best team always won, there'd be no need to watch sport. 

When Cork beat Kerry two years ago, they weren't next nor near as good a team as them. They just caught Kerry cold on a terrible day.
Laois knocked Mickey Harte's Tyrone out of the championship one year. They deserved the win, but that Laois team is not a better team than that Tyrone team - they just got them on a day when things went Laois's way.
If Tyrone v Kerry had gone to a replay last year, like pretty much every drawn semi-final in history has done previously, Kerry would have gone into the replay as warm favourites. Kerry threw the first game away with their missed goal chances, it's very rare a favourite doesn't rectify things in a replay. But Tyrone took their chances in extra time with aplomb.

Many refs would not have allowed Rob Hennelly to retake his last second equaliser v the Dubs in the other semi. If he hadn't have been allowed re-take, then the best team on the day would have lost.

Kerry were the best team in the country last year, yet Tyrone 100% deserved their All Ireland. The two aren't mutually exclusive. The best team doesn't always win. The best team on the day usually does, but even that's not 100%.

Nothing silly about it at all. In that season and you win the championship you are the best team. You refer to kerry getting bt by Cork as if Kerry were a brilliant team. They weren't, you also said Kerry were the best team last season, they weren't as they hadn't the ability to beat Tyrone. Tyrone is their nemesis, they dread playing Tyrone in the very latter stages of the championship. When there is little to separate between two teams its the mentality of the group that does the separation. This season we will find out. The best team in that season doesn't get beat. There is no fluke in it. I will accept the odd time the odd blip happens, for example Offaly beating Kerry to stop their five in a row, however its very rare. You could even argue that Kerrys gl against Donegal was lucky, I would argue Kerrys pressure on the keeper forced the error and that pressure is part and parcel of making you the best in that season.

Dire Ear

I'd agree with Shawshank there re. Tyrone's seemedly mental strength over Kerry and Jack especially.  In terms of players,  Kerry would be the best at the minute,  but Tyrone will still beat them ( depending on injuries however due to smaller squad :( )

yellowcard

Quote from: shawshank on April 05, 2022, 09:38:07 AM

That's a silly comment. If the best team always won, there'd be no need to watch sport. 

When Cork beat Kerry two years ago, they weren't next nor near as good a team as them. They just caught Kerry cold on a terrible day.
Laois knocked Mickey Harte's Tyrone out of the championship one year. They deserved the win, but that Laois team is not a better team than that Tyrone team - they just got them on a day when things went Laois's way.
If Tyrone v Kerry had gone to a replay last year, like pretty much every drawn semi-final in history has done previously, Kerry would have gone into the replay as warm favourites. Kerry threw the first game away with their missed goal chances, it's very rare a favourite doesn't rectify things in a replay. But Tyrone took their chances in extra time with aplomb.

Many refs would not have allowed Rob Hennelly to retake his last second equaliser v the Dubs in the other semi. If he hadn't have been allowed re-take, then the best team on the day would have lost.

Kerry were the best team in the country last year, yet Tyrone 100% deserved their All Ireland. The two aren't mutually exclusive. The best team doesn't always win. The best team on the day usually does, but even that's not 100%.

Nothing silly about it at all. In that season and you win the championship you are the best team. You refer to kerry getting bt by Cork as if Kerry were a brilliant team. They weren't, you also said Kerry were the best team last season, they weren't as they hadn't the ability to beat Tyrone. Tyrone is their nemesis, they dread playing Tyrone in the very latter stages of the championship. When there is little to separate between two teams its the mentality of the group that does the separation. This season we will find out. The best team in that season doesn't get beat. There is no fluke in it. I will accept the odd time the odd blip happens, for example Offaly beating Kerry to stop their five in a row, however its very rare. You could even argue that Kerrys gl against Donegal was lucky, I would argue Kerrys pressure on the keeper forced the error and that pressure is part and parcel of making you the best in that season.

Tyrone had plenty of good fortune in beating Kerry last year. The goals came at the right time for them, Clifford going off injured before extra time and Kerry having to wait 6/7 weeks due to the Covid stunt were all factors in Tyrone winning that match. Prior to the game Kerry were strong favourites to win the AI. Tyrone were better than many had given them credit for before the match but it doesn't necessarily mean they are a better side than Kerry, they just beat them on the day.

I would like to see a rematch between Kerry and Tyrone this year to set the record straight but I suspect that Tyrone will bomb out of the championship before then so it may not actually happen.

Particularly with no back door for the last 2 seasons, it meant that the best teams did not necessarily always end up in the latter stages of the championship. The 2 division 4 finalists from last week ended up in AI semi finals in 2020 just as a case in point. Thats the nature of straight knock out football. You could apply the same logic to the CL in soccer where the best side does not always win the competition but this rarely happens in a League format.   

shawshank

::) the reason most games are won due to the timing of goals, as if its a fluke  ;D

redhandofgod

Tyrone lost 2 men to black cards during the 2nd half of the match and Kerry still couldnt beat them ffs!!!

Redhand Santa

Quote from: yellowcard on April 05, 2022, 11:48:50 AM

Tyrone had plenty of good fortune in beating Kerry last year. The goals came at the right time for them, Clifford going off injured before extra time and Kerry having to wait 6/7 weeks due to the Covid stunt were all factors in Tyrone winning that match. Prior to the game Kerry were strong favourites to win the AI. Tyrone were better than many had given them credit for before the match but it doesn't necessarily mean they are a better side than Kerry, they just beat them on the day.

I would like to see a rematch between Kerry and Tyrone this year to set the record straight but I suspect that Tyrone will bomb out of the championship before then so it may not actually happen.

Particularly with no back door for the last 2 seasons, it meant that the best teams did not necessarily always end up in the latter stages of the championship. The 2 division 4 finalists from last week ended up in AI semi finals in 2020 just as a case in point. Thats the nature of straight knock out football. You could apply the same logic to the CL in soccer where the best side does not always win the competition but this rarely happens in a League format.   

Kerry's wait and losing Clifford for extra time is a lot less than the problems faced by Tyrone. Down to 14 players for 20 minutes of the second half (when Clifford was on the pitch). And when Kerry were training away for the extra week Tyrone were having to take a week off and when they did train down over 15 panelists with covid. I'd be questioning how much better a team Kerry were given they couldn't win under those circumstances.

Gael85

Quote from: Gael80 on April 04, 2022, 09:56:22 PM
Kerry's forward play was excellent but it's the improvement in defence, that makes them look almost certs for the All Ireland.

Kerry excellent at the cynical fouling out the field allows them to get bodies behind the ball. Strange with all the kerry pundits on TSG they don't highlight this?

greatpoint

Quote from: Gael80 on April 04, 2022, 09:56:22 PM

They've won the league the last three years and actually had a better points difference last year.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: yellowcard on April 05, 2022, 11:48:50 AM

The main fortune was how poor Kerry defended and how it easy it was for Tyrone to get those goals. What was Kerry doing in that 6/7 week break? Didn't look like they worked on their defensive issues at all. The recent league game against Tyrone showed they still have problems in defence and a strong defence will be required to win a tight contest in the business end of the championship.

joemamas

Said the same to someone yesterday. Ten years on since Horan left Michael Murphy one-on-one in the 2012 all-Ireland, game over after 8 minutes.His lack of game management/tactical awareness is mindboggling.

whitey

Quote from: joemamas on April 05, 2022, 07:39:48 PM

Said the same to someone yesterday. Ten years on since Horan left Michael Murphy one-on-one in the 2012 all-Ireland, game over after 8 minutes.His lack of game management/tactical awareness is mindboggling.

Second goal (that killed the game) was a pure fluke

Ball came off the post

Mayo player had it

Dropped it

Donegal player lashed it to the net

Horan couldn't do much about that one