Kerry v Mayo, League Final 2022, Croke Park 3rd April 4pm

Started by highorlow, March 31, 2022, 09:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 04, 2022, 09:24:29 AM
O'Hora did as well as could be expected on Clifford yesterday given he had zero help. There isn't a defender in the country who can touch him one on one. Is there any who would be a decent match physically for him?

Left totally open with no protection

Armagh18

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 04, 2022, 10:48:00 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 04, 2022, 09:24:29 AM
O'Hora did as well as could be expected on Clifford yesterday given he had zero help. There isn't a defender in the country who can touch him one on one. Is there any who would be a decent match physically for him?

Left totally open with no protection
Yeah its asking for trouble, especially in Croker. Any decent forward would be loving the amount of space Clifford got yesterday, McCarron was similar last week.

Cunny Funt

If anyone turned up to that Div 1 final yesterday to see what David Clifford is all about they most certainty didn't go home disappointed, he's the best forward in the country and showed the damage he can do when allowed and allowed is one of the reasons why we got such a one sided contest yesterday.

From a Mayo point of view the strength in depth isn't as good as most thought during this league campaign. I'm still expecting Mayo to reach at least the AI semi final this year, have done that every year when Horan was manager and i don't think that record will change once Durcan,Hennelly,D O'Connor,Mullen is restored to the starting line up and Cillian O'Connor gets more game time.

Finally well done to Kerry, without doubt the best team in the league this year, it about bringing that form into the championship now and correct me if I'm wrong, every time Jack O'Connor led Kerry to NFL title they went on to win the All Ireland that summer?   

yellowcard

Quote from: shawshank on April 04, 2022, 10:08:31 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 04, 2022, 09:49:39 AM
As with all great players the only way to stop him is to limit him from getting his hands on the ball. To that extent Horan is most culpable, he hung O'Hora out to dry yesterday leaving him exposed in acres of space one on one. Clifford must have thought it was his birthday and I doubt if he will be given as much space in any game this season.

Kerry simply have the best players in the country now especially up front so taking them on man v man is a fools errand. However they have probably been the best team for 2 years now but haven't got the job done come championship so Jack O'Connor will have learned little yesterday that he didn't know already. 

i really do disagree with that statement. It suggests Tyrone were not the best team last season, when in fact they were, the season before it was Dublin. The best team literally 10 times out of 10 wins the championship. Kerry have won the league recently and fell when the real intensity of championship heat is on. Thats the test they have to over come and until then, they are not the best.

That's all a matter of opinion but the best team does not always win a knockout competition. Kerry beat most teams out the gate for the last 2 seasons but Cork in 2020 and to a lesser extent Tyrone last year caught them on the hop. I'd still say Kerry were the best team in Ireland certainly in 2021 but the reality is that they didn't get the job done.

Until they do that in a big game then there will always be question marks about their mental toughness. I would have held out Mayo as their main challenger but seeing how they folded like a deck of cards yesterday it could be one of those soft All Irelands that Kerry pick up every so often this year without being really tested.

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on April 04, 2022, 02:18:10 PM
As with all great players the only way to stop him is to limit him from getting his hands on the ball. To that extent Horan is most culpable, he hung O'Hora out to dry yesterday leaving him exposed in acres of space one on one. Clifford must have thought it was his birthday and I doubt if he will be given as much space in any game this season.

Kerry simply have the best players in the country now especially up front so taking them on man v man is a fools errand. However they have probably been the best team for 2 years now but haven't got the job done come championship so Jack O'Connor will have learned little yesterday that he didn't know already. 

i really do disagree with that statement. It suggests Tyrone were not the best team last season, when in fact they were, the season before it was Dublin. The best team literally 10 times out of 10 wins the championship. Kerry have won the league recently and fell when the real intensity of championship heat is on. Thats the test they have to over come and until then, they are not the best.

That's all a matter of opinion but the best team does not always win a knockout competition. Kerry beat most teams out the gate for the last 2 seasons but Cork in 2020 and to a lesser extent Tyrone last year caught them on the hop. I'd still say Kerry were the best team in Ireland certainly in 2021 but the reality is that they didn't get the job done.

Until they do that in a big game then there will always be question marks about their mental toughness. I would have held out Mayo as their main challenger but seeing how they folded like a deck of cards yesterday it could be one of those soft All Irelands that Kerry pick up every so often this year without being really tested.
Yesterday was only the league, wouldn't read whole pile into it. There's 4 or 5 teams in Ulster that will give Kerry a good test, Dublin will as well should they meet. Mayo won't be beaten like that again this year especially if they can get lads back, but still think with Conroy gone and the limitations of the management team they won't win an AI.

Average Score

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 04, 2022, 02:52:25 PM

Yesterday was only the league, wouldn't read whole pile into it. There's 4 or 5 teams in Ulster that will give Kerry a good test, Dublin will as well should they meet. Mayo won't be beaten like that again this year especially if they can get lads back, but still think with Conroy gone and the limitations of the management team they won't win an AI.

We only have the league to go by, think the 4 or 5 is very optimistic.

Blowitupref

Yesterday was only the league, wouldn’t read whole pile into it. There’s 4 or 5 teams in Ulster that will give Kerry a good test, Dublin will as well should they meet. Mayo won’t be beaten like that again this year especially if they can get lads back, but still think with Conroy gone and the limitations of the management team they won’t win an AI.

Don't think the current Mayo manager can do much more that he's done in his second spell. IMO he had a stronger team with better players in his first spell and that became strong from a team he took over that had lost to Sligo,Longford and became the consistently competitive championship team the last decade. I'll always wonder where Mayo would be today if they never had Horan as manager and huge improvement he brought to their setup.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 04, 2022, 03:44:24 PM

Don't think the current Mayo manager can do much more that he's done in his second spell. IMO he had a stronger team with better players in his first spell and that became strong from a team he took over that had lost to Sligo,Longford and became the consistently competitive championship team the last decade. I'll always wonder where Mayo would be today if they never had Horan as manager and huge improvement he brought to their setup.
Shit the bed last year against Tyrone when it was there for the taking although obviously not all down to management. I wonder could they ever convince Moran to come back and win one with them.

Tubberman

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 04, 2022, 04:45:20 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 04, 2022, 03:44:24 PM

Shit the bed last year against Tyrone when it was there for the taking although obviously not all down to management. I wonder could they ever convince Moran to come back and win one with them.

As a player!?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Blowitupref

I don't believe they were, Tyrone was very good on the day. As for Andy Moran he'd have to show some credentials in management before getting that gig. Thus far he was less than great with Ballaghaderreen and finished 4th in Div 4 with a Leitrim side that Terry Hyland gained promotion with. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

yellowcard

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 04, 2022, 05:36:38 PM

I don't believe they were, Tyrone was very good on the day. As for Andy Moran he'd have to show some credentials in management before getting that gig. Thus far he was less than great with Ballaghaderreen and finished 4th in Div 4 with a Leitrim side that Terry Hyland gained promotion with.

Horan overall has done a very good job but he also has a serious amount of baggage built up at this stage and they would be the ideal opponent for any team going into an AI final. Moran would be a big punt, he has no track record in management to suggest that he would improve things but he still has time on his side. 

Hound

The best team literally 10 times out of 10 wins the championship.

That's a silly comment. If the best team always won, there'd be no need to watch sport. 

When Cork beat Kerry two years ago, they weren't next nor near as good a team as them. They just caught Kerry cold on a terrible day.
Laois knocked Mickey Harte's Tyrone out of the championship one year. They deserved the win, but that Laois team is not a better team than that Tyrone team - they just got them on a day when things went Laois's way.
If Tyrone v Kerry had gone to a replay last year, like pretty much every drawn semi-final in history has done previously, Kerry would have gone into the replay as warm favourites. Kerry threw the first game away with their missed goal chances, it's very rare a favourite doesn't rectify things in a replay. But Tyrone took their chances in extra time with aplomb.

Many refs would not have allowed Rob Hennelly to retake his last second equaliser v the Dubs in the other semi. If he hadn't have been allowed re-take, then the best team on the day would have lost.

Kerry were the best team in the country last year, yet Tyrone 100% deserved their All Ireland. The two aren't mutually exclusive. The best team doesn't always win. The best team on the day usually does, but even that's not 100%.

highorlow

I'd say the poster is referring to Mickey Moran and not Andy.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

It was undoubtedly as bad a performance Mayo have had since Horan mk 1. Maybe the management didn't care about the league and all eyes are firmly fixed on Galway in three weeks time, but with all the chopping and changing over the last three or four games I wonder does Horan actually know his first 15 to start against Galway. Hopefully the injuries can clear up a bit because we saw yesterday that the strength in depth isn't there (or as strong as I personally thought anyway).

Edit: the injuries seem to be getting worse. Rumours Jordan Flynn has a broken ankle. Galway with the advantage at midfield just as we were getting a good partnership.   :(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blanketattack

5?
Which of Fermanagh, Antrim, Cavan, Derry or Down is the 5th?