Leinster Minor Football Championship 2020

Started by SCFC, January 23, 2022, 04:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

As for new candidates, I am sure people would apply. We would have to wait and see. Fear of the unknown shouldn't stop us taking action. How many don't apply already because of the current regime? Maybe none. Who knows. What is clear is that this isn't working and we need change

Oblivious

I wonder how many of the comments above following last nights result were at the match.

It appears a lot of the time any result in the negative is a an opportunity to have a go at the County Board.  Any minor team now is as a result of previous administratons and although some faces are familiar on the County Board ,the current County Board have to be given an opportunity to anylise and address the current issues especially just after 5/6 months being at their roles  Who the f**k wants to be on any county board or club administration, I would not say there is a queue going from telfords down to O'Moore park when the meetings and voting takes place with new and attractive candidates. I hope all those who make comments above are working hard in their clubs in coaching and looking after juvenile preparation and strength and conditioning.

Last night was a poor performance by 16 and 17 year old's who tried their best against a better team, they got off to a bad start against a breeze , lost and never  regained confidence and struggled in the retention of the ball, won little or no kickouts, struggled in transition play from defence to forwards,made poor decisions in some plays, forwards were starved of ball and Offaly swept them away as a cohesive mobile unit, hunted in packs , took most if not all their chances,  very little wides, strong midfield and outstanding forward play as they had the ball.

They play Carlow next week in the Seamus Heaney and its a 50;50 shout but that's where these young 16/17 years old's are, again they are 16/17 years old so they beat Louth and Westmeath and Lost to Dublin and Offaly. Its all experience for these lads who are only 16/17 not 18 and they are still developing.  If they win next week they will have beaten three teams in leinster, bottom half of the overall league and that's where we are currently. Said it before the most important team is the under 10-14 age range and transition from Primary to secondary and at each club. My recommendation to resolve most of the ills  is get involved in your local club and get your own standards right in all clubs as opposed to requiring The County Board to fix it or manage it.                                   

High Fielder

Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on May 05, 2022, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on May 05, 2022, 10:04:24 AM
As for new candidates, I am sure people would apply. We would have to wait and see.
clearly a solutions man this one

Clearly a CB member/relation/friend/WUM/troll. Insert as appropriate. Only offering an opinion. A very poor attempt to play the man and not the ball.

High Fielder

Quote from: Oblivious on May 05, 2022, 12:18:10 PM
I wonder how many of the comments above following last nights result were at the match.

It appears a lot of the time any result in the negative is a an opportunity to have a go at the County Board.  Any minor team now is as a result of previous administratons and although some faces are familiar on the County Board ,the current County Board have to be given an opportunity to anylise and address the current issues especially just after 5/6 months being at their roles  Who the f**k wants to be on any county board or club administration, I would not say there is a queue going from telfords down to O'Moore park when the meetings and voting takes place with new and attractive candidates. I hope all those who make comments above are working hard in their clubs in coaching and looking after juvenile preparation and strength and conditioning.

Last night was a poor performance by 16 and 17 year old's who tried their best against a better team, they got off to a bad start against a breeze , lost and never  regained confidence and struggled in the retention of the ball, won little or no kickouts, struggled in transition play from defence to forwards,made poor decisions in some plays, forwards were starved of ball and Offaly swept them away as a cohesive mobile unit, hunted in packs , took most if not all their chances,  very little wides, strong midfield and outstanding forward play as they had the ball.

They play Carlow next week in the Seamus Heaney and its a 50;50 shout but that's where these young 16/17 years old's are, again they are 16/17 years old so they beat Louth and Westmeath and Lost to Dublin and Offaly. Its all experience for these lads who are only 16/17 not 18 and they are still developing.  If they win next week they will have beaten three teams in leinster, bottom half of the overall league and that's where we are currently. Said it before the most important team is the under 10-14 age range and transition from Primary to secondary and at each club. My recommendation to resolve most of the ills  is get involved in your local club and get your own standards right in all clubs as opposed to requiring The County Board to fix it or manage it.                                 

Fair points. Heard it all before unfortunately and our current plight is a long time in the making. Last night's result and team are secondary to the wider point

Laois fan

While it's a very poor result and the county board have a lot to answer for it's the clubs that have to step up and take a lot of the blame for this.Too many clubs in Laois are taking the easy option and amalgamating with other clubs for a quick fix"let's join with this club and this club so we have 15 strong 17year olds that might win a championship or have a strong 15s team that might dominate"instead of working hard on the pick that have to make them the best possible footballers/hurlers they can be.If you look at our underage club results lately there is some awful hammerings occurring which does nothing for either club just some coaches on an ego trip

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on May 05, 2022, 09:53:23 AM
All of them. The process is tainted and isn't working for us. It's political to its very core and discourages good people from getting involved. I'm not saying they're not good people because I'm sure they are. But they've clearly run out of ideas and when that happens your time should be up. New appointments to the Laois CB are only ever a continuation of what preceded them. Like minded people who do the same things but have a different name. It's clear we need a change and getting rid of Billy or Cheddar won't be enough. Just my opinion. No doubt many will disagree and fair enough. But I've made up my mind

So your solution to this is to sack people that have been in the position 5 months at most ?

What about the paid employees of Laois GAA ?

The secretary?,the games manager?,the GDA's?

Should they be all fired too ?

High Fielder

A different question entirely. Happy enough to see the CB gone for now. Did you serve as a CB officer? Or am I mistaken? Apologies if I have the wrong person

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on May 05, 2022, 04:25:12 PM
A different question entirely. Happy enough to see the CB gone for now. Did you serve as a CB officer? Or am I mistaken? Apologies if I have the wrong person

So the volunteers get the axe ?

And the lads getting paid don't ?

High Fielder

The volunteers make the decisions. They hold the power. They are responsible for the hiring and firing. Eddie Brennan was right about them imo, and it's fairly obvious a lot of coaches took note.

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on May 05, 2022, 06:56:18 PM
The volunteers make the decisions. They hold the power. They are responsible for the hiring and firing. Eddie Brennan was right about them imo, and it's fairly obvious a lot of coaches took note.

Ok so when you have the current county board sacked?

What do you do then ?

I'm interested to see what concrete proposals you would have in place then

High Fielder

I wouldn't be sacking anyone. They're volunteers. They shouldn't expect to hold such power indefinitely.

I wouldn't want anyone serving more than 2 years in any one position and nobody serving beyond 5 years in total. That would be my starting point.

Giovanni

Generally, I don't like the county board battering that often takes place after a bad result. The county board isn't responsible for bad performances of individual county teams. But the county board is responsible for longer-term patterns and I'm afraid these patterns have been pretty grim over the last 4 or 5 years. We are losing/dismissing/not supporting good managers. We are ignoring good ideas being put forward by some of the more enlightened people like Sugrue or Cheddar who took the time to make very concrete suggestions about how to improve things. We have been slow to put youth coaching structures in place. We have been poor in fundraising. We've done little or nothing to encourage greater participation (either as players or supporters). These are the things that eventually lead to a pattern of poor performances on the pitch and the county board has to take responsibility for that.

mcwregor

Quote from: Giovanni on May 05, 2022, 08:18:26 PM
Generally, I don't like the county board battering that often takes place after a bad result. The county board isn't responsible for bad performances of individual county teams. But the county board is responsible for longer-term patterns and I'm afraid these patterns have been pretty grim over the last 4 or 5 years. We are losing/dismissing/not supporting good managers. We are ignoring good ideas being put forward by some of the more enlightened people like Sugrue or Cheddar who took the time to make very concrete suggestions about how to improve things. We have been slow to put youth coaching structures in place. We have been poor in fundraising. We've done little or nothing to encourage greater participation (either as players or supporters). These are the things that eventually lead to a pattern of poor performances on the pitch and the county board has to take responsibility for that.

[Totally agree with this. There is no plan and never was one]

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on May 05, 2022, 09:53:23 AM
All of them. The process is tainted and isn't working for us. It's political to its very core and discourages good people from getting involved. I'm not saying they're not good people because I'm sure they are. But they've clearly run out of ideas and when that happens your time should be up. New appointments to the Laois CB are only ever a continuation of what preceded them. Like minded people who do the same things but have a different name. It's clear we need a change and getting rid of Billy or Cheddar won't be enough. Just my opinion. No doubt many will disagree and fair enough. But I've made up my mind

When I asked you earlier

Should everyone in the county board get the road

You replied

"All of them"

It's good to see you stepping back from this position and being a bit more realistic in your assessment of things

The clubs have a case to answer also

Especially when they are sending youngsters to trials without even the most basic of skills.

High Fielder

Volunteers shouldn't expect to be power brokers indefinitely. They hide behind it when things go wrong and essentially put themselves beyond accountability because they are volunteers.

On the flip side of the coin, they're not mercenaries either, and shouldn't be expected to take responsibility for a failing county. You can't tell me that as we stand, other people couldn't do what they are doing. In fact, it begs the question why they seem to want to hold on so desperately, for many years, in different positions. Particularly in a failing county.

We are a very good example of a county that needs a fresh approach with a completely different outlook. We shouldn't be afraid to fall or fail because we're at a point where non participation is around the corner. I can see a day where a county in a similar position to ourselves won't have numbers to field a team. I sometimes wonder if we're reaching that point